Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Check out the monthly summary of June 2015 on Met Éireann's website and you'll see what I mean

I know what the weather was like. I was working in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

OldRio wrote: »

Then are you around the Cork area which was the only county with above average rainfall??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

I'm in Leitrim.

I'm in Leitrim.

Oh yeah sorry, forgot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Very quite here today?

[...]

Very quit here today alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Best day of this summer here today in north kerry and i baled my hay ,we also had last thursday a glorious day .
    This week probably puts summer '15 ahead of summer '07,08,09 and '12 here ,it was strange that we escaped the worst of the rain this year as we normally bear the brunt of bad weather here even though we got our fair share of cloud and dullness

cute geoge wrote: »
    Best day of this summer here today in north kerry and i baled my hay ,we also had last thursday a glorious day .
    This week probably puts summer '15 ahead of summer '07,08,09 and '12 here ,it was strange that we escaped the worst of the rain this year as we normally bear the brunt of bad weather here even though we got our fair share of cloud and dullness

Cork Airport definitely got poured:

39mm on May 2nd
    41mm on July 6th

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Problem here is there has been very different summers this year in parts of the East (from Dublin south) compared to much of the rest of the country.

That is simple reality, not something to doubt!:)

Here at this location the summer so far (1st June - 15th August) has been cool; 1 degree below average; slightly above average sunshine and very dry.

It is now 10 days since we had any rain at all here, and even in the first few days of August not very much.

Rain (mm)

Average | 2015

June 67 | 13
    July 56 | 65
    Aug 37 | 10
    Tot 160 | 88

That's only 55% of LT average for the summer so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Its been a very wet summer in general up in the north west. May and july were both washouts, june was a dry month. August so far has been about average rainfall for the time of year. It also has been a much colder summer than normal with sunshine amounts well below normal.I think when you live in the countryside you tend to follow weather patterns more closely especially when farming. The summer of 2015 wont be remembered fondly at least not here.

mg1982 wrote: »
    Its been a very wet summer in general up in the north west. May and july were both washouts, june was a dry month. August so far has been about average rainfall for the time of year. It also has been a much colder summer than normal with sunshine amounts well below normal.I think when you live in the countryside you tend to follow weather patterns more closely especially when farming. The summer of 2015 wont be remembered fondly at least not here.

Interesting how sunshine amounts are below normal in your area? So far, my station Grange has recorded 106% of the LTA (up to August 16th). May was an exceptional month for heavy rain though with Grange recording 139.5mm which is my station's wettest May on record with nearly 50% of this taking place on the particular soggy day, Saturday 2nd.

The only extreme thing of what this Summer will be remembered for is being very cool.

Though August was more pleasant than the one in this year (read ahead), Summer 2015 is actually colder than the one of 2011 and that's saying something! Apart from the 30th June - 1st July warm spell, there hasn't been any warmth during this Summer. But look in 2011!

June 2-4 - 16 hours of sunshine in places and up to 25c
    June 26-27 - 15 hours of sunshine in places and up to 24c
    July 3 (here at least) - 15 hours of sunshine and up to 23c
    July 13 - 16 hours of sunshine and up to 23c
    July 27 - 12 hours of sunshine and up to 24c

August had no warm spells of that year. So even though 2011 was a cold Summer, at least it had some decent warm spells at various times compared to Summer 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Sryanbruen

Where are you pulling these ridiculous statements out of. I think everyone knows it was a dreadfull, wet and cold summer from May onwards for most of the country bar Dublin/Wicklow

Valtentia recored rain for 26 days in June, If there was a station here in east Limerick im convinced it would be more. The days that were dry were horrible dark cold and windy, not just the west but the south east too as the chap from Clonmel has been posting all summer.

I would say since that sunny spell in April we have had about 3 or 4 at the most, nice sunny days. I don't think we hit the 20c at all in june or July?

Interesting how sunshine amounts are below normal in your area? So far, my station Grange has recorded 106% of the LTA (up to August 16th). May was an exceptional month for heavy rain though with Grange recording 139.5mm which is my station's wettest May on record with nearly 50% of this taking place on the particular soggy day, Saturday 2nd.

There has been a big east west divide this summer. Especially with the heatwaves in most of Britain europe the east was able to catch some of that.

Sryanbruen

Where are you pulling these ridiculous statements out of. I think everyone knows it was a dreadfull, wet and cold summer from May onwards for most of the country bar Dublin/Wicklow

Valtentia recored rain for 26 days in June, If there was a station here in east Limerick im convinced it would be more. The days that were dry were horrible dark cold and windy, not just the west but the south east too as the chap from Clonmel has been posting all summer.

I would say since that sunny spell in April we have had about 3 or 4 at the most, nice sunny days. I don't think we hit the 20c at all in june or July?

Those sunny and warm days from the very cold Summer of 2011? Not this one??
    Sryanbruen

And no you didn't! Grange recorded 25.4c on June 30th though, my highest since August 1990

So far, my station Grange has recorded 106% of the LTA (up to August 16th).

Not meaning to pry - but where, roughly, is Grange? :)

Grange is near Howth.

And no you didn't! Grange recorded 25.4c on June 30th though, my highest since August 1990

Cool place! We hit 24.7C on first July (24.3C on 30th June) and that would be a disappointing summer high for this elevated location! :)

What did you record in summer '95....27C + was almost common here?

Cool place! We hit 24.7C on first July (24.3C on 30th June) and that would be a disappointing summer high for this elevated location! :)

What did you record in summer '95....27C + was almost common here?

My record high for Summer 1995 was 29.8c on August 2nd, though not beating 30.4c on the same day 5 years before that (1990).

sryanbruen wrote:
    Grange is near Howth.

So you're on that east coast strip.

You are way off when you say that the west was the only area to get a bad summer. And Cork might have recorded the most rain but Tipperary/Limerick had more wet days I would imagine.

The fact is, more than 3/4 of the land got a horrible,horrible summer. Although that 3/4 land holds only 1/2 of the population.

So you're on that east coast strip.

You are way off when you say that the west was the only area to get a bad summer. And Cork might have recorded the most rain but Tipperary/Limerick had more wet days I would imagine.

The fact is, more than 3/4 of the land got a horrible,horrible summer. Although that 3/4 land holds only 1/2 of the population.

Why do u wish u lived on the east side?

sryanbruen wrote:

sryanbruen wrote:
    My record high for Summer 1995 was 29.8c on August 2nd, though not beating 30.4c on the same day 5 years before that (1990).

Am I the only one confused at this?

You recorded 25c on June 30th, Your highest since August 90

Yet you recorded 29c in 95?

Time for bed.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one confused at this?

You recorded 25c on June 30th, Your highest since August 90

Yet you recorded 29c in 95?

Time for bed.

No you shouldn't be confused. I said August 1990 because that holds the ALL-TIME record at Grange (as well as Dublin Airport). August 1995 was record-breaking because of how long the drought and multiple days with over 25c took place.

Grange recorded 25.4c on June 30th though, my highest since August 1990

Apologies, I was confused by that...I read it as your 25.4c on June 30th [2015] was your highest since August 1990. :cool:

It did hit the 30 mark in parts of sligo in 2013. Oh the summer of 95 will never forget it. Best we ever had.

Why do u wish u lived on the east side?

I'm not sure he actually said that but as we've noted my comprehension is poor....:o

mg1982 wrote: »
    It did hit the 30 mark in parts of sligo in 2013. Oh the summer of 95 will never forget it. Best we ever had.

Yeah you would be right about the 30 degree mark happening in 2013. July 2013 was Ireland's warmest July on record though not everywhere (here for example). Grange's mean temperature in July 2013 was 18.3c and 2006 marginally bet it with 18.4c. Here are both July's maximums:

2006: July 19th with 30.1c
    2013: July 9th: with 29.7c

Summer 1995's mean temperatures at Grange to show how warm it was of average:

June: 13.6c - +1.3c above normal
    July: 16.4c - +2.3c above normal
    August: 18.2c - +4.9c above normal - highest deviation of above normal in a month on record at Grange

Summer 1995's mean temperatures at Grange to show how warm it was of average:

June: 13.6c - +1.3c above normal
    July: 16.4c - +2.3c above normal
    August: 18.2c - +4.9c above normal - highest deviation of above normal in a month on record at Grange

Those figures seem correct.....

Those figures seem correct.....

Is that sarcasm?

Nice calm dry morning but with some nast grey clouds. To hang the washing out or not..

Plus you can check out the latest weather conditions at Grange as well as 2015's statistics on my website Grangeweatherrecords.weebly.com.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Not a bad day at all in Galway City - some decent sunny spells and a high of 19.1C :)

Advertisement