Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lumi wrote: »
    Not a bad day at all in Galway City - some decent sunny spells and a high of 19.1C :)

At Grange, it has been the cloudiest day I've seen since June 16th with only 0.5 hours of sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

Lovely soft evening here in Limerick. Lovely bit of rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Lovely soft evening here in Limerick. Lovely bit of rain.

What exactly is lovely about it? We had 3 days without rain, you hardly missed it already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

ComfortKid wrote: »
    What exactly is lovely about it? We had 3 days without rain, you hardly missed it already

10 days here....thought I'd just mention that - desperate to see some rain - not! :)

10 days here....thought I'd just mention that - desperate to see some rain - not! :)

Rain expected everywhere Wednesday

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Rain expected everywhere Wednesday

Apologies, tried to post a picture...didn't work and I don't know how to delete a post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

This summer has been a right off. I've flipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Was a dry morning. Then it turned increasingly dark murky and drizzly. It made a downpour then this evening. I just cant get over how dark it is all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

16+ uppers over Ireland out in FI-land on the ECM.

xYXRKWV.png

Another dull, cloudy morning! Summer 2015 is officially the 3rd worst in my life after 07 and 08

See the whole of Ireland and England is due to be washed away Wednesday, Woohoo!

• Advertisement

See the whole of Ireland and England is due to be washed away Wednesday, Woohoo!

That's unfortunate, it is like the Med here this morning - bar a few degrees ;) -cloudless blue sky all morning - 18.5C and rising fast, grass rapidly turning brown and you say it won'y last? :eek:

That's unfortunate, it is like the Med here this morning - bar a few degrees -cloudless blue sky all morning - 18.5C and rising fast, grass rapidly turning brown and you say it won'y last?

Ah here! My lawnmower has been used more this summer than the last 5 combined. Unbelievable growth.

Its usually around this time I start looking forward to the cold dark winter evenings. Not this year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

That's unfortunate, it is like the Med here this morning - bar a few degrees ;) -cloudless blue sky all morning - 18.5C and rising fast, grass rapidly turning brown and you say it won'y last? :eek:

Aye 21c down in Arklow now
    Beautiful

However wicklow mtn convergence visible,you'll likely have heavy showers in the afternoon nearby if not at you
    Some whopping cb development about 10 miles inland now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Stunning weather today, can see some big clouds over the nearby mountains, but clear overhead here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Lovely in Galway city now too. Was sunny at first then clouded up but sunny and warm again now.
    August is turning out to be pretty ok, especially if that FI chart that Maq posted even slightly pulls off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

This is my view at the moment looking East towards the coast at Arklow rock
    Its a stunner of a blue sky day
    Temp in the light sea breeze sitting around 21c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Lovely in Galway city now too. Was sunny at first then clouded up but sunny and warm again now.
    August is turning out to be pretty ok, especially if that FI chart that Maq posted even slightly pulls off!

Just hit 21.0C - a gorgeous day in Galway :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

was in dublin earlier and it's glorious there, here in Dunshaughlin its wall to wall cloud, can see the line of blue sky over Dublin from my window.

Hit exactly 22C here before the breeze kicked in; there is now a lot of cloud about - some over the hills look ominous.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dull and overcast in Castlebar, currently just 14.5C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 .300 WinMag

got burned here in Connemara yesterday, and today is much the same, and i'm fortunate enough to be on annual leave...yipee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Xenji wrote: »
    Dull and overcast in Castlebar, currently just 14.5C.

Castlebar has been getting the shortest of the short straws this year.
    Anytime I've been there this summer it feels like another large step down in temperatures from Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Castlebar has been getting the shortest of the short straws this year.
    Anytime I've been there this summer it feels like another large step down in temperatures from Galway.

Tell me about it, my sister lives in Galway and as it has not been great there either, it has been far better then here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

358916.jpg

A fine example today of what I was saying about that coastal east coast strip. The entire Summer of 2014 was like this from midday onwards when the rest of the country would cloud over once convection got going.

It meant that while for most of the country 2014 was only an OK Summer (Dry and Mild albeit not very sunny) it was actually a 2013 beater for me in Bray, south through Arklow to Wexford.

This year it hasn't happened as much but enough (and with a lot of the Rain petering out before it got to the East Coast) to make this Summer a reasonably Dry, mild and OK Summer sunshine wise on the east coast.

ie. It made a nationally OK Summer in 2014 a great Summer for the east coast and it made a nationally Dire Summer in 2015 an OK Summer for the East Coast.

We've a shop with open double doors all day so temp wise I'm open to the elements while working from 8am-10pm. I've worked in a T-Shirt every single day without complaint since the Late cold Spring ended in May. A chat with a family friend just back from a week in the North West in a holiday home confirmed what the rest of the country have been complaining about though. He said it was dull cold wet and miserable the whole time they were there and they had the central heating on at some point every day. Its amazing the difference a little geography and a few more miles further west towards the atlantic makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oh here we go again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Its incredible really the differences in weather conditions over a small island. Theres been dark clouds overhead all day here. The morning was the brightest. Its absolutley bucketing down now but thats no surprise as the humidity levels were intense.

Calibos wrote: »
    358916.jpg
    this Summer a reasonably Dry, mild and OK Summer sunshine wise on the east coast.

Wouldn't agree with that summary, it wasn't mild - it was 1 degree below normal consistently right through, it was very dry, slightly above average sunshine but almost constantly breezy (despite the absence of any strong winds).

On a scale of 1 (1985) to 10 (1995)....I'd rate it about 6.5...and I notice I'm in that yellow box!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Wouldn't agree with that summary, it wasn't mild - it was 1 degree below normal consistently right through, it was very dry, slightly above average sunshine but almost constantly breezy (despite the absence of any strong winds).

On a scale of 1 (1985) to 10 (1995)....I'd rate it about 6.5...and I notice I'm in that yellow box!

Not sure what you are disagreeing with. I qualified the statement with 'reasonably'. I'd rate it 6.5 too. It was an OK Summer where we are I think we both agree. I was contrasting our OK Summer with the dire Summer in the other 90% of the country. That our position on the island and surrounding geographical features were the difference between an OK Summer 2014 for them but a great one for us, and a Dire Summer 2015 for them and an OK one for us. We are to the rest of the country as the SE of the UK is to Ireland. warmer, sunnier and drier.

A fine example today of what I was saying about that coastal east coast strip. The entire Summer of 2014 was like this from midday onwards when the rest of the country would cloud over once convection got going.

It meant that while for most of the country 2014 was only an OK Summer (Dry and Mild albeit not very sunny) it was actually a 2013 beater for me in Bray, south through Arklow to Wexford.

This year it hasn't happened as much but enough (and with a lot of the Rain petering out before it got to the East Coast) to make this Summer a reasonably Dry, mild and OK Summer sunshine wise on the east coast.

ie. It made a nationally OK Summer in 2014 a great Summer for the east coast and it made a nationally Dire Summer in 2015 an OK Summer for the East Coast.

We've a shop with open double doors all day so temp wise I'm open to the elements while working from 8am-10pm. I've worked in a T-Shirt every single day without complaint since the Late cold Spring ended in May. A chat with a family friend just back from a week in the North West in a holiday home confirmed what the rest of the country have been complaining about though. He said it was dull cold wet and miserable the whole time they were there and they had the central heating on at some point every day. Its amazing the difference a little geography and a few more miles further west towards the atlantic makes.

Summer 2014 was the third best in Grange's (my station) records after 1995 and 2006!

• Advertisement

I was contrasting our OK Summer with the dire Summer in the other 90% of the country. That our position on the island and surrounding geographical features were the difference between an OK Summer 2014 for them but a great one for us, and a Dire Summer 2015 for them and an OK one for us. We are to the rest of the country as the SE of the UK is to Ireland. warmer, sunnier and drier.

I think our non-Eastern friends have been told that too often!

I'm steering away from that so long as they go easy on the claims that a bad summer in parts of the country does not equate to "Ireland is having its worst summer ever/a crap summer/climate and we'd all be better off emigrating! "

40% of the population (at least) are having a better than average summer - this year the East/West divide has been atypically extreme.

Let's just agree that we are both being affected by the weird weather ;)

Advertisement