Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Summer 2014 was the third best in Grange's (my station) records after 1995 and 2006!

Grange's sunshine totals for Summer 2014

June: 236.2 hours (133% of the LTA)
    July: 250.8 hours (152% of the LTA)
    August: 141.3 hours (107% of the LTA)

Summer: 628.3 hours (133% of the LTA)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Summer 2014 was the third best in Grange's (my station) records after 1995 and 2006!

Yep, that seems about right - so long as you are talking post 1985 :)

Yep, that seems about right - so long as you are talking post 1985 :)

Though Grange didn't have records before 1986. I had a station that was closed in 1985 before I opened Grange and it was called Donaghmede-Baldoyle. Here's Donaghmede-Baldoyle's sunshine totals for Summer 1895

June: 131.3 hours (74% of the LTA)
    July: 129.4 hours (78% of the LTA)
    August: 115.1 hours (87% of the LTA)

Summer: 375.8 hours (79% of the LTA) - Summer 2002 in Grange's records was even duller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Though Grange didn't have records before 1986. I had a station that was closed in 1985 before I opened Grange and it was called Donaghmede-Baldoyle. Here's Donaghmede-Baldoyle's sunshine totals for Summer 1895

Don't have sunshine stats, no suitable location that I've ever owned (I use DA as the closest ME station for sunshine) - you must have been in the middle of Baldoyle Racecourse!

What was your rainfall, temperature and wind data for those three months?

Don't have sunshine stats, no suitable location that I've ever owned (I use DA as the closest ME station for sunshine) - you must have been in the middle of Baldoyle Racecourse!

What was your rainfall, temperature and wind data for those three months?

Oh sorry. Mean temperature (dif. of average) / rainfall (% of LTA) / wind data (dif. of average)

June: 10.7c (-1.6c below normal) / 76.4mm (158% of the LTA) / 9 knots (2 knots above normal)
    July: 14.3c (+0.2c above normal) / 108.1mm (230% of the LTA) / 9 knots (2 knots above normal)
    August: 12.1c (-1.2c below normal) / 123.4mm (192% of the LTA) / 8 knots (1 knot above normal)

Summer: 12.3c (-0.9c below normal) / 307.9mm (194% of the LTA) / 9 knots (2 knots above normal)

Overall, it wasn't a great Summer at all as each month was windy, dull and wet with only July warmer than normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think our non-Eastern friends have been told that too often!

I'm steering away from that so long as they go easy on the claims that a bad summer in parts of the country does not equate to "Ireland is having its worst summer ever/a crap summer/climate and we'd all be better off emigrating! "

40% of the population (at least) are having a better than average summer - this year the East/West divide has been atypically extreme.

Let's just agree that we are both being affected by the weird weather ;)

Ah, just noticed Pad199207's post. I've veered into broken record territory obviously :o.

Its just that I find it fascinating the marked difference a few miles and a geographical feature or two can make to the weather experienced. Our outside the Pale brethren needn't worry, the overall nationwide stats and the meeja will mark 2015 down as a terrible Summer. They got to write the narrative. Even if this Summer was actually OK for the east coast it wasn't memorable enough to stick in East Coast peoples minds so when it comes to retrospectives in the future and they read the narrative that 2015 was amongst the worst, they'll go along with it/accept it. When in actual fact, for 2 million of us, it simply wasn't that bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Actually its not as unusual as you might think
    When it doesn't rain every other day,people's perception of the weather goes up a few points

My mum moved here from the west and she said the one thing she couldn't get over was how little it rained compared to the west
    Other people who moved here have said the same
    Obviously there are exceptions to that rule where wet summers affect here too

Actually its not as unusual as you might think
    When it doesn't rain every other day,people's perception of the weather goes up a few points

My mum moved here from the west and she said the one thing she couldn't get over was how little it rained compared to the west
    Other people who moved here have said the same
    Obviously there are exceptions to that rule where wet summers affect here too

Like 2014 was an actually dry Summer in parts of the west due to the distribution of heavy rainfall in August. Fact: Grange, DUBLIN had its second wettest August on record in 2014. and this caused me to have 20% more than my average Summer rainfall despite a very dry June and July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

It makes sense though. We generally have a westerly airflow with the jet stream. So the western seaboard gets the brunt of everything that comes off the atlantic. By the time the fronts reach the east coast they lose there intensity so less rainfall.

mg1982 wrote: »
    It makes sense though. We generally have a westerly airflow with the jet stream. So the western seaboard gets the brunt of everything that comes off the atlantic. By the time the fronts reach the east coast they lose there intensity so less rainfall.

But my place in the east gets poured if rain comes from the south (2nd May 2015) or from the east (2nd August 2014). Those days were both exceptionally wet.

Grange's rainfall

2nd May 2015 - 57.6mm - wettest May day on record
    2nd August 2015 - 86.2mm - wettest August day on record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It is interesting though is that when the east does get monthly rainfalls levels on par with the west, it often gets national media attention. It becomes a big deal. This is not a gripe, but a simple fact.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I've been out of the country for the past three weeks but returning on Friday. I live in the very miserable but very beautiful south west and have my fingers crossed big time for a decent September. September is the only month of recent years to provide relatively consistent summer weather,ie 20 degrees tshirt weather.

So am appealing to the weather experts on this forum to please,please please give me something to go home for! :eek:

acequion wrote: »
    I've been out of the country for the past three weeks but returning on Friday. I live in the very miserable but very beautiful south west and have my fingers crossed big time for a decent September. September is the only month of recent years to provide relatively consistent summer weather,ie 20 degrees tshirt weather.

So am appealing to the weather experts on this forum to please,please please give me something to go home for! :eek:

Though September 2012 was a very cold month overall, at the start most days were above 20c. September 2009 and before though was much different! Rarely touching 20c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

But my place in the east gets poured if rain comes from the south (2nd May 2015) or from the east (2nd August 2014). Those days were both exceptionally wet.

Grange's rainfall

But our weather patterns are fronts moving in from the west although you will get the odd exception at times like you mentioned.

Those are pretty hefty rainfall totals indeed. Are you in south Dublin?

But our weather patterns are fronts moving in from the west although you will get the odd exception at times like you mentioned.

No I'm near Howth

And that's not always the weather pattern - it all depends on the jet stream dear

Grange's rainfall

I meant to say August 2014* hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Though September 2012 was a very cold month overall, at the start most days were above 20c. September 2009 and before though was much different! Rarely touching 20c

So what are you telling me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Summer: 375.8 hours (79% of the LTA) - Summer 2002 in Grange's records was even duller.

1895? Wow, how old are you??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Cracking morning! Not a cloud in sight, very warm for this time of the morning.

• Advertisement

FWVT wrote: »
    1895? Wow, how old are you??

OMG typos are really annoying me! Hahahaha I'm 38

acequion wrote: »
    So what are you telling me?

Sorry your quote is confusing acequion. Can you please tell me what you are referring to in my quote. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Sorry your quote is confusing acequion. Can you please tell me what you are referring to in my quote. Thanks

It's not confusing in the least - just read his original post and your response
    Acequion asked about what kind of weather to expect over the next few weeks - you responded by quoting statistics re Sept 2009/2012 which does not really address his question

Lumi wrote: »
    It's not confusing in the least - just read his original post and your response
    Acequion asked about what kind of weather to expect over the next few weeks - you responded by quoting statistics re Sept 2009/2012 which does not address his question and is off topic

I just sent that because of September given decent weather in recent years like he said. It could reference to his question because MOTHER NATURE always has an urge to even things out i.e. when there's a decent few Septembers, there could be an extremely wet horrible September

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

After son of the thickest fog I have seen in some time this morning, its is a pleasant bright day in Castlebar, just 15C, but feeling warmer when the sun breaks through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

For once we're getting better weather than across the water, how often does that happen in summer? Temps as low as 13c in eastern England today. Nice to see Scandinavia getting good weather at last, apparently the summer has been very poor there this year.
    http://www.sat24.com/en/eu

Currently 22.7c here near Arklow
    Warmer than yesterday
    Cb's visible over wicklow mtns again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Slightly cooler than yesterday in Galway city but still a grand, sunny day at 18.7C
    That's two days in a row I've had to open the greenhouse windows! Better late than never Summer 2015 :pac:

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It is interesting though is that when the east does get monthly rainfalls levels on par with the west, it often gets national media attention. It becomes a big deal. This is not a gripe, but a simple fact.

Well obviously, there is more media advertising income in the greater Dublin area than in Tuam...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

. Nice to see Scandinavia getting good weather at last, apparently the summer has been very poor there this year.
    [URL][/url]

Dire by all accounts. Which is tough after those winters.

Advertisement