Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Wow!

Only 4.2mm here about 10 miles south of you as the proverbial crow flies!
    Where's Grange? 10 miles south of you? That means it must be somewhere in north Dublin? Met.ie doesn't give its location.
    13mm today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Where's Grange?

I believe it is somewhere in the vicinity of Baldoyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Where's Grange? 10 miles south of you? That means it must be somewhere in north Dublin? Met.ie doesn't give its location.
    13mm today.

Grange is between Baldoyle, Clongriffin and Donaghmede in Dublin 13. I do not share my weather records with Met Éireann and that is why it is not on their website. I am a private weather station and my family has been holding records in it since 1986 but had a previous one known as Baldoyle-Donaghmede which was closed the same year. I don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I just sent that because of September given decent weather in recent years like he said. It could reference to his question because MOTHER NATURE always has an urge to even things out i.e. when there's a decent few Septembers, there could be an extremely wet horrible September

So what do you reckon will happen this September? It's been the only relatively consistent month over the last 10 years or so,here in the south west in any case. September is almost always dry and mild with the exception of 2011 when it was pretty horrible.

So any predictions for this year?

acequion wrote: »
    So what do you reckon will happen this September? It's been the only relatively consistent month over the last 10 years or so,here in the south west in any case. September is almost always dry and mild with the exception of 2011 when it was pretty horrible.

As usual, I don't like looking at long range forecasts but it looks like September will be another cold month like the rest of 2015 so far. For the first part of September, it is looking quite unsettled as the jet stream is slap bang on top of us meaning weather systems coming straight our way as well as the winds coming off a COLD Atlantic meaning as I said a cold September. Remember long range forecasts are rarely right because our weather is so changeable.

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »

September 2011 wasn't a bad one overall at Grange actually with near normal sunshine, well above average temperatures and above average rainfall. Here's the differences and % of LTA at Grange during the month:

Rainfall: 131% of the LTA
    Temperature: +1.5c above normal
    Sunshine: 96% of the LTA

September 2008 was the very horrible one at Grange with exceptional flooding on the 5th and further rains for a while until around the 17th when a high pressure began to build. At the same time though, it didn't brighten up here compared to other parts. Overall, it was an extremely wet and dull September with near normal temperatures but it felt like early Spring (not particularly warm). Differences and % of LTA at Grange during this month:

Rainfall: 185% of the LTA
    Temperature: -0.6c below normal
    Sunshine: 71% of the LTA - which compares with Valentia having only 54% in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

As usual, I don't like looking at long range forecasts but it looks like September will be another cold month like the rest of 2015 so far. For the first part of September, it is looking quite unsettled as the jet stream is slap bang on top of us meaning weather systems coming straight our way as well as the winds coming off a COLD Atlantic meaning as I said a cold September. Remember long range forecasts are rarely right because our weather is so changeable.

Really hope you're wrong sryanbruen :( but thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

...and *drum roll* its another ridiculously warm and mainly sunny day in Arklow
    Heres the main st now
    Shorts and t shirt time:)

It looks as though the jet stream is gonna have a little kink by Saturday and it will allow for a short term absence of movement off the Atlantic. This will bring much more humid conditions but don't get too excited because there may be warnings in force for a DELUGE on Sunday in particular. On Saturday, the low is meant to extend from the Wash down to the southwest of England but on Sunday, the moisture is expected to become more extensive and this is not helped at all by the way that it is gonna be so humid and HOT perhaps. London for example may reach the high 20's or low 30's on Saturday! For us, it looks like we'll hit the low 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Another wet dull day in Castlebar, looks like we will have to wait till Tuesday at least for an improvement, just 13C.

• Advertisement

Grange has recorded 22.8mm bringing my total for August 2015 up to 29.0mm.

That was some total you recorded yesterday, must have been a thunderstorm parked over Grange; here and Casement had 4mm and 6mm respectively; even DA and Phoenix Park only managed 11mm.

Any thunder?

Glorious here again today; windy but sunny and just over 20C.

That was some total you recorded yesterday, must have been a thunderstorm parked over Grange; here and Casement had 4mm and 6mm respectively; even DA and Phoenix Park only managed 11mm.

Any thunder?

Glorious here again today; windy but sunny and just over 20C.

Nope it just kept on pouring for a few hours! Non-stop

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dull and misty all day so far, 20C.

The day has changed in Arklow, breezy and wet now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today and tomorrow should be very mild but Sunday onwards and all next week is going to feel very much like autumn with cool unsettled atlantic muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Xenji wrote: »
    Another wet dull day in Castlebar, looks like we will have to wait till Tuesday at least for an improvement, just 13C.

Ah no way man. Its around the 19C here in south sligo and getting breezy with the odd shower. But generally an ok day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

mg1982 wrote: »
    Ah no way man. Its around the 19C here in south sligo and getting breezy with the odd shower. But generally an ok day.

Ah sure we had one nice day last week and one this week, better than nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very wet and windy all of a sudden in Galway...

Still a balmy calm 18C here.....could be a sticky night.

Raining and dreary in Arklow this morning 15c
    Sunday looks vile at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very heavy showers last night. Another dull and cloudy start to the day. Well we had one lovely day this week summer.

Gonzo wrote: »
    today and tomorrow should be very mild but Sunday onwards and all next week is going to feel very much like autumn with cool unsettled atlantic muck.

There isn't any movement off the Atlantic until Tuesday? Sunday and Monday, the rain is coming from Britain.

If it's any consolation it's another glorious day here in SE Dublin, sunny spells and partly cloudy, light SW breeze - 21.4C after a balmy night (min 16.2C).

There - that should cheer you up :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

If it's any consolation it's another glorious day here in SE Dublin, sunny spells and partly cloudy, light SW breeze - 21.4C after a balmy night (min 16.2C).

It's about the same here. Lovely day, mostly sunshine apart from the odd cloud. Was a very sticky night last night.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Was a very sticky night last night.

indeed...about the only one I can recall this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Temps have dropped a good 3 degrees here today. Back around the 16 mark. Its a good deal more wind with some heavy showers.

very nice day, close to 21C and sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

22.7C and fair, feeling very warm outside.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Summertime8989

Heavy showers in the North West

• Advertisement

Still warm and sunny here, 22C atm after a high of 22.5C.

Advertisement