Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

FWVT wrote: »

The wavelength of the graph seems to be about 50 years; it stops at a peak in 2000. So we should still be above the LTA (even ignoring GW effects)?

Or am I reading this wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

There's that micro-climate again! :)

But what do you mean by micro-climate?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    But what do you mean by micro-climate?

Bray and Arklow have "micro-climates"; significantly and consistently different from the East Coastal strip in which they are embedded.

In the prevailing winds from South to NW these pockets will be warmer, dryer and sunnier than the East Coast in general.

Your sheltered back garden could also be said to have a "micro-climate"' - and a sheltered garden in Bray could have a micro-climate within a micro-climate!

Not sure there is any precise meteorological definition.

Bray and Arklow are "micro-climates"; significantly and consistently different from the East Coastal strip in which they are embedded.

In the prevailing winds from South to NW these pockets will be warmer, dryer and sunnier than the East Coast in general.

Your sheltered back garden could also be said to have a "micro-climate"' - and a sheltered garden in Bray could have a micro-climate within a micro-climate!

Not sure there is any precise meteorological definition.

Okay

It looks like September will be starting on a fine dry note for the 4th year in a row as the jet stream heads further northwards towards the weekend. It will not only be drier and sunnier but WARMER! though still cold nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It looks like September will be starting on a fine dry note for the 4th year in a row as the jet stream heads further northwards towards the weekend. It will not only be drier and sunnier but WARMER! though still cold nights.

Was September last year any good? I recall it being fairly poor (could be wrong).

Of course it gets nice in September just as my holidays end!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Was September last year any good? I recall it being fairly poor (could be wrong).

Yeah September 2014 was EXTREMELY DRY, warm and sunny! It was a perfect month! Little or no rain. Mace Head in Galway for example only recorded 8.2mm of rainfall compared to its average of 112.3mm.

Carnacalla wrote: »

The last time Ireland had a really poor September was 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

September was good last year in Castlebar, just 15.5mm of rain, but with an average temp of 14.6C, it was a washout after that, 857mm of rain in the next 4 months.

My memory (and records) go back even further than yours and I agree...if there is one period in the whole in our North Atlantic climactic year that is abnormally consistent it is the first week of September! :)

• Advertisement

Look at my maximum temperatures, rainfall and sunshine for all the back to school weeks since 2012 for example:

Mon 3rd: 22.1c, 0mm, 10 hours
    Tues 4th: 21.8c, 0mm, 10 hours
    Wed 5th: 22.0c, 0mm, 11 hours
    Thurs 6th: 21.8c, 0mm, 10 hours
    Friday 7th: 21.4c, 0mm, 8 hours

Mon 2nd: 19.6c, 0mm, 9 hours
    Tues 3rd: 22.3c, 0mm, 12 hours
    Wed 4th: 22.6c, 0mm, 8 hours
    Thurs 5th: 22.4c, 2.3mm, 6 hours
    Fri 6th: 21.4c, 0mm, 5 hours

Mon 1st: 18.9c, 0mm, 2 hours
    Tues 2nd: 20.1c, 0mm, 2 hours
    Wed 3rd: 21.3c, 0mm, 7 hours
    Thurs 4th: 22.4c, 0mm, 10 hours
    Fri 5th: 21.9c, 0.7mm, 7 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Peak of 21 today-nice
    Chilly after dark though

Xenji wrote: »
    September was good last year in Castlebar, just 15.5mm of rain, but with an average temp of 14.6C, it was a washout after that, 857mm of rain in the next 4 months.

November was the big washout at Grange particularly during the small period 10th-14th! My favourite week of wet weather ever and best of all my birthday was in it and it was a very wet day!

My memory (and records) go back even further than yours and I agree...if there is one period in the whole in our North Atlantic climactic year that is abnormally consistent it is the first week of September! :)

Noticed I said IN A ROW? as in consecutively? Because 2011 wasn't that good.

Noticed I said IN A ROW? as in consecutively? Because 2011 wasn't that good.

I'm looking at 1975 - 2015! :)

I'm looking at 1975 - 2015! :)

Yeah but I was talking about the CONSECUTIVE good starts to Septembers from 2014 backwards

Yeah but I was talking about the CONSECUTIVE good starts to Septembers from 2014 backwards

That is undeniably a different time-frame!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Very true - by far the best week to plan a holiday in Ireland

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Very true - by far the best week to plan a holiday in Ireland

You should always check the weather out before doing that. For example, Grange had its wettest September day on record on the 6th in 2010 when I recorded 81.3mm which was nearly all that month's rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You should always check the weather out before doing that. For example, Grange had its wettest September day on record on the 6th in 2010 when I recorded 81.3mm which was nearly all that month's rainfall.

If you plan any sort of holiday in Ireland with the expectation of good weather, you're crazy! Plan around the weather, imo. I love brooding, rainy weather for particular parts of the country, far more dramatic.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    If you plan any sort of holiday in Ireland with the expectation of good weather, you're crazy! Plan around the weather, imo. I love brooding, rainy weather for particular parts of the country, far more dramatic.

But you have lots more advantages for good sunny weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

But you have lots more advantages for good sunny weather?

Which you just won't get on a predictable schedule in Ireland, unless you're booking very last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Summer my ass, its unreal in Galway, very dark and torrential rain.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭6541

6541 wrote: »

What's that got to do with this forum (weather!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Jaysus, its "Battle of the Stats" in here.

No Records Broken this Summer but lots of Broken Records.

(and I'm guilty too :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭6541

What's that got to do with this forum (weather!)?

Its an old Irish Song that laments Summer, that song goes way back, just though I would add some humor! Its means Summer, Summer we brought the summer with us !
    Guess Sorry about that back to strictly weather reporting ! it's Crap in the West !

Calibos wrote: »
    Jaysus, its "Battle of the Stats" in here.

No Records Broken this Summer but lots of Broken Records.

(and I'm guilty too :o )

Well Grange has recorded the following all-time records this Summer:

Lowest June pressure on record - June 1st
    Coldest June night on record - June 9th
    Second coldest July on record

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very heavy rain in Castlebar, it's quite dark also, looks more like evening time than lunch time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Really wish this "summer" would end. Its taking the p!ss at this stage. There has been no long spell of settled warm dry weather. Occassional pet days but mainly cloudy and cool. Very depressing. Any sign of the postman And his ilk to try and explain away this?

Advertisement