Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Really wish this "summer" would end. Its taking the p!ss at this stage. There has been no long spell of settled warm dry weather. Occassional pet days but mainly cloudy and cool. Very depressing. Any sign of the postman And his ilk to try and explain away this?

This Summer is mother nature's idea of evening things out with the spectacular Summers of 2013 and 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

sryanbruen wrote: »
    This Summer is mother nature's idea of evening things out with the spectacular Summers of 2013 and 2014.

Not in Mayo, we had 285 mm of rain in 2014 and 325mm in 2013 with temps just averaging around 14.7C, the July of 2013 was our only real summer in the last 5 years

Xenji wrote: »
    Not in Mayo, we had 285 mm of rain in 2014 and 325mm in 2013 with temps just averaging around 14.7C, the July of 2013 was our only real summer in the last 5 years

Jesus? That's real different compared to here in the east. These are Grange's % of average and differences of average during both Summers

June: +0.2c above average, 72% of rainfall, 117% of sunshine
    July: +4.2c above average (still not warmest month on record), 128% of rainfall, 152% of sunshine
    August: +1.8c above average, 42% of rainfall, 91% of sunshine

June: +1.6c above average, 32% of rainfall, 129% of sunshine
    July: +2.1c above average, 33% of rainfall, 128% of sunshine
    August: -1.5c below average, 267% of rainfall, 107% of sunshine

August 2014 though was a bit let down as it was MUCH colder than normal and VERY WET. It was my second wettest August on record along with third coldest on record. Overall, Summer 2013 was better as thanks to that August, Summer 2014 was just MILD overall instead of particularly warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Jesus? That's real different compared to here in the east. These are Grange's % of average and differences of average during both Summers

June: +0.2c above average, 72% of rainfall, 117% of sunshine
    July: +4.2c above average (still not warmest month on record), 128% of rainfall, 152% of sunshine
    August: +1.8c above average, 42% of rainfall, 91% of sunshine

June: +1.6c above average, 32% of rainfall, 129% of sunshine
    July: +2.1c above average, 33% of rainfall, 128% of sunshine
    August: -1.5c below average, 267% of rainfall, 107% of sunshine

August 2014 though was a bit let down as it was MUCH colder than normal and VERY WET. It was my second wettest August on record along with third coldest on record. Overall, Summer 2013 was better as thanks to that August, Summer 2014 was just MILD overall instead of particularly warm.

What were the actual summer rainfall figures at your station for the last 3 years just for comparison with the Mayo figures. Thanks.

What were the actual summer rainfall figures at your station for the last 3 years just for comparison with the Mayo figures. Thanks.

June: 27.2mm
    July: 73.9mm
    August: 22.7mm
    Summer: 123.8mm - 78% of the LTA

June: 15.6mm
    July: 17.2mm
    August: 171.4mm - 108% of the whole Summer LTA
    Summer: 204.2mm - 128% of the LTA

3 years, do you mean 2013-15? Or 2012-14?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

June: 27.2mm
    July: 73.9mm
    August: 22.7mm
    Summer: 123.8mm - 78% of the LTA

June: 15.6mm
    July: 17.2mm
    August: 171.4mm - 108% of the whole Summer LTA
    Summer: 204.2mm - 128% of the LTA

3 years, do you mean 2013-15? Or 2012-14?

Thanks, I was talking about 2015 as well. Obviously Aug is not over.

Summer 2013 was really very dry. I am happy that i live in Dublin and not the west, very big difference.

To add to this summer, in Castlebar we have had over 325mm of rain so far this summer with an average temp of 13.7C.

Thanks, I was talking about 2015 as well. Obviously Aug is not over.

Summer 2013 was really very dry. I am happy that i live in Dublin and not the west, very big difference.

Summer 2014 would have been very dry without that August.

Okay, here's Summer 2015's totals then

June: 15.1mm - 31% of the LTA
    July: 81.2mm - 173% of the LTA
    August: 65.3mm (up to 13:00 on the 25th) - 102% of the LTA
    Summer: 161.6mm - 102% of the LTA

To add to this summer, in Castlebar we have had over 325mm of rain so far this summer with an average temp of 13.7C.

I don't know how you had a low average temperature in Summer 2013. I had an average temperature of 15.2c which is +2.0c above the LTA and is one of my warmest Summers on record, though not even close to the exceptional ones of 1995 and 2006.

I don't know how you had a low average temperature in Summer 2013. I had an average temperature of 15.2c which is +2.0c above the LTA and is one of my warmest Summers on record, though not even close to the exceptional ones of 1995 and 2006.

In 2013 it averaged 15.3C, but that was due to July being unusually warm, June and August just averaged 14.1C.

• Advertisement

In 2013 it averaged 15.3C, but that was due to July being unusually warm, June and August just averaged 14.1C.

August was very warm here and comparable to July 1999 actually! June was a little warmer than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Summertime8989

hmmm Surprised there isn't a rain warning in effect places. Torrential rain over parts of Leinster atm and warning issued for Eastern Ulster with totals widely 20-30mm with 40mm in worst affected areas

hmmm Surprised there isn't a rain warning in effect places. Torrential rain over parts of Leinster atm and warning issued for Eastern Ulster with totals widely 20-30mm with 40mm in worst affected areas

OMG!!!! The rain an hour ago!!!! It was a bit frightening! Thought the roof was going to cave in! (Drogheda )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

OMG!!!! The rain an hour ago!!!! It was a bit frightening! Thought the roof was going to cave in! (Drogheda )

Yeah im not to far away from drogheda and it was mad, it was nice listening to it bash the roof though, mostly cos the field beside us can take it due to the dry summer we got, november december, pretty sure we'd have some flooding this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It seems the rain was much further west than expected. Gerry Murphy said last night that the worst of the rain was heading towards the UK, the graphics I saw on the BBC showed the rain moving up the Irish Sea towards east Ulster and clipping the east coast of Leinster.
    I only got 4mm last night. When I was going to bed last night I was very surprised to see very heavy rain over Munster moving up over the country.

So far it has been an exceptionally wet week for Grange

Wed 19th: 22.4mm
    Thu 20th: 0mm
    Fri 21st: 0mm
    Sat 22nd: 0.2mm
    Sun 23rd: 32.4mm
    Mon 24th: 1.1mm
    Tue 25th: 16.9mm
    Wed 26th: 3.7mm

Here is an update on the weather at the start of September:

An area of high pressure is pushing in for most days of the back to school week after heavy rain expected on the 30th. It is certain that it will stay cool for the FIRST few days but some continental warmth might come before it gets unsettled again around the 5th or 6th September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Read before you write Gonzo! I already reported about the start of September's weather and here I say it again:

An area of high pressure is pushing in for most days of the back to school week after heavy rain expected on the 30th. It is certain that it will stay cool for the FIRST few days but some continental warmth might come before it gets unsettled again around the 5th or 6th September.

Mod Note
    Other posters are entitled to disagree with you and post their opinions - this thread is not your personal soap box!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think for a while now we've all had a feeling how this is going to end...I'm talking about the month of August of course. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chill in the air tonight :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Definite nip in the air these last few nights. Autumn closing in fast. Was actually a nice sunny day here with a one or two showers and highs of 17c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

About as grim a morning as I have seen here all summer. Place is flooded.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Where abouts is that oneiric?

Fabulous morning on the east coast .... Just back from the beach where it was clear and sunny .....but definitely a nip in the air now. Summer is over and I'm actually looking forward to autumn very much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

diceyd wrote: »
    Where abouts is that oneiric?

East Galway diceyd, just off the N17. :)

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Beautiful sunny day here again....breezy but already 16.2C after an overnight low of 11.7C.

Real 'back-to-school' weather.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Pitch dark in Galway now with torrential rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Pitch dark in Galway now with torrential rain
    Those showers are nasty! 11.8mm so far this morning and rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shockingly bad morning here in west Clare, everywheres flooded! It's been lashing rain (torrential, haven't seen the likes of it in months) here since before 10am and its just stopped now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Its the same in south sligo. Constant thundery downpours moving in. Think its meant to feck off to the east in the afternoon.

Advertisement