Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's still a "bargain" to buy in the US (particularly NY area)

Options
  • 01-06-2015 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm on a rare US visit for work this week. I won't really have much chance for shopping while working, but on my way home I'm stopping over in New York city for a few days. Given the dollar's current strength against the Euro, I'm wondering are there any items that would still be considered a "bargain" compared to the price paid at home. I think clothes are still probably cheaper,. particularly casual gear such as jeans. Any other areas that are still good value (e.g. electronics? ). Or are online from home deals for that kind of stuff just as good as I'd get in NY?

Also, any current recommendations for where to go shopping in NY (I've read some of the older, though still helpful recommendations in here, just wondering is there any more current information).

Thanks in advance.

Tmh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Jersey Gardens
    Get the 111 bus from Port Authority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

There is definitely more variety, objectively cheaper though? I'm not sure. I'm out there in a few weeks and I've just bought what I needed as I've needed it because the savings just aren't worth it at the moment, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I'm in the US at the moment and the exchange rate means there's hardly anything worth buying at the moment. I travel here quite a bit and in previous years i would always be loaded with requests to pick up this and that, not any more. On previous trips I've often come out with an empty bag and bought my clothes here (I've even had to buy extra bags) this time I've bought very little. There were a few Memorial Day sales last week when I bought a couple of pairs of jeans and a few shirts but otherwise the sales seem to be mostly buy one get one half price or buy two get a third one free. The only thing is you might pick up something a bit different to home but if it's something you can get at home, the savings probably won't be worth the hassle of having to carry them, especially as you now have to pay to check in a second bag with some airlines. Even the outlet malls no longer seem to be the great bargains that they once were....

The other thing to be aware of is the price on the label will not be the final price you pay as they usually add city tax and state tax on top of it, I thought I was saving myself $20 on a pair of jeans but it was more like $10 by the time I'd paid for it, likewise restaurants can work out expensive when you factor in the obligatory tip, some of the bills they give you now 'helpfully' calculate the amount to add in order to give a 22% tip...
    If you're going to be here for a while it can usually work out cheaper to order what you want on Amazon or similar and have it delivered as this will save you the local taxes and delivery is quite often free and quick...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The other thing to be aware of is the price on the label will not be the final price you pay as they usually add city tax and state tax on top of it, I thought I was saving myself $20 on a pair of jeans but it was more like $10 by the time I'd paid for it, likewise restaurants can work out expensive when you factor in the obligatory tip, some of the bills they give you now 'helpfully' calculate the amount to add in order to give a 22% tip...
    If you're going to be here for a while it can usually work out cheaper to order what you want on Amazon or similar and have it delivered as this will save you the local taxes and delivery is quite often free and quick...

Depends what state you're in, a lot are charged sales tax on Amazon now. I think it was October last year that it was introduced for where I live. It's still often cheaper though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

I think clothes is about it-(I wouldnt buy big ticket electronic items overseas no matter how inexpensive)

In particular high end work out clothes and North Face jackets and the likes.

Jos A Banks also has mighty sales on suits, slacks and ties (eg they have a buy one suit, get 2 of lesser or equal value free)

Cheapest suits would suit a buck who wears a suit a handful of times per year..weddings, funerals and christenings.

If you wanted "everyday work suits", go up one notch in quality

http://t.josbank.com/menswear/shop/SubCategory_11001_10050_9307001?currentPage=0&pageSize=24

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

The Garden State Plaza is one of the biggest malls in the country, and has a lot of high end stores. It's an easy bus ride from Port Authority, and there is no sales tax on clothes in NJ - http://www.westfield.com/gardenstateplaza/center-info/getting-here/

Watch out for outlet stores - many of them, such as Brooks Brothers, offer a range of discount clothing made specifically for their outlets - you are not getting the same quality that you would get at one of their regular stores.

Joseph A. Bank has decent clothes, but you have to be careful to time your shopping with one of the better 'sales', as they have sales every week. It sometimes sounds as if they're going to pay you to haul the stuff away, with "Buy one, get five free!" etc. I only ever bought one suit there. It looked good, and I only needed it for interviews, weddings, etc, but it still wore out very quickly.
    I bought my last two suits from an ebay retailer for $300 each, and the quality is way better than Jos. A. Bank.

The best thing to do when checking for bargains is to keep an eye on sites like www.dealnews.com You can see what's on sale and they also tell you whether it's a good deal or not, which is helpful if you haven't been keeping track of prices lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Thanks to all who replied. I really do appreciate people taking the effort to do so.

From my own research, I concur for the most part with what has been said above. You can still get good deals on clothes - not the absolute bargains you got a few years ago when the € was close to $1.50, but still cheaper for some things than at home. And you do find things (e.g. kitchenware) that you don't see at home - or at least, I haven't seen them.

Regarding Brooks Brothers, because I have specific experience, from a few years ago, the person I talked to in the outlet actually told me that they were specially made for the Outlet. But to be honest that didn't bother me. Their clothes, even outlet versions, are very nice IMO, and the quality is very good in my experience.

In any event, my shopping plans for yesterday came to naught. I stopped off in MOMA for a 'quick' visit and ended up spending most of the afternoon there - and didn't get below the fifth floor. Probably a better investment than clothes, incredible collection of paintings in just that one floor. Might even go back to get the fourth floor today ;-). Btw, for anyone who likes Art, the MOMA gift/book shop on the ground floor is fantastic IMO. It has a particularly good collection of books.

Tmh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The other thing to be aware of is the price on the label will not be the final price you pay as they usually add city tax and state tax on top of it, I thought I was saving myself $20 on a pair of jeans but it was more like $10 by the time I'd paid for it, l

In NY City, there's no sales tax on clothes that cost under $100 (I think that's the figure anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Amazon charges sales tax in NY, as far as I remember it's about 7.5%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

leck wrote: »
    Amazon charges sales tax in NY, as far as I remember it's about 7.5%.

Yes, Amazon now charges sales tax (if applicable) in any state in which it has a distribution center.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Jersey Gardens
    Get the 111 bus from Port Authority

Bring your passport and go to the customer desk, they'll give you vouchers for up to 25% extra discounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

OU812 wrote: »
    Bring your passport and go to the customer desk, they'll give you vouchers for up to 25% extra discounts

I forgot got my passport but I showed them my provisional Irish drivers licence and they gave me the book of vouchers. There were some really decent ones in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

I'm back in Ireland now. In the end I did not do that much shopping; not so much because there were no bargains to be had but because I spend most time on cultural activities and eating (half a stone heavier, so need to get exercising/dieting now I'm back in Ireland)!

I did buy some clothes,and while I think they were bargains they were only so because they were on sale in the clearance aisles i.e. I expect I could get the same bargain in Ireland, though probably less of them. I also bough a couple of things for the house; not bargains but things that I don't think I'd see in Ireland.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my original post, I appreciate it.

tmh

Echo that, I've put on about a stone since I got here, it's so hard to eat healthy when they keep giving you giant portions and keep wanting to put cheese on everything. I bought four pairs of Levi's 514s for $40 with buy one get one half price so it worked out ok, not sure how much longer they're going to fit me though....
    I just like the fit of this particular version, I always try and pick up a pair when I come here...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Just back after a few weeks in NY area .... we left a lot of empty shoe boxes behind us!

Sneakers/sports wear still a very good buy $40-ish for a good pair of Sketchers or similar; electronics (picked up a Samsung galaxy tab for $135); definitely jeans, got some Levis at $20-25, 450 threadcount queen sheets sets for $25, UnderArmour & Nike and other outdoor gear also very good ...

Try to borrow a members card for the likes of BJs Priceclub or Costco, not high style or anything but you can pick up some good priced basics. Or you can sign up for free membership for the day, I think.

The outlets are only OK, we went to Woodbuty Commons but it was so packed and not really worth the effort. be sure and get the coupon booklets at Customer Service desk if you do go ... but I found better deals to be had in Marshalls and TJ Maxx IMO

Advertisement