Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating???

• 01-06-2015 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Really not coping with the stress of the Leaving Cert. Started out really well, kept up with studying since 5th year etc. but after the mocks I had no confidence and nothing could motivate me to study. Don't even want to show up for the exams but I think there's no way out of it is there?
    I know this is my own fault, I didn't prepare etc etc...
    But I'm just wondering, if I am to repeat next year, can I repeat all subjects including English, Home Economics and Geography, all which have either a project or a new course?
    Also is it a good idea to repeat in a different school? Don't think I could bear listening to some of the teachers in my own school for another year...
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

I believe you can resubmit your continuous assessment work, but any new material would have to be learned in the year.

Changing schools seems drastic for the year because by the time you settle in you'll be close to the mocks again and under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Fellow repeat, doing my LC for the second and final time this week,

Stress is going to be there during the LC whether you need to get an A or a just a pass. That's not going to change next year, although it might be a little easier knowing what to expect (I'm more stressed this year though). If you come in to exams now with your mind set at repeating you won't give a crap about it, and that will be easier, sure. But next year there will be even more pressure on you, as in you absolutely cannot fail, unless you want to repeat for a third time.
    Yes you can repeat all your subjects, I'm doing that right now. As for projects, I only did one subject that requires it - History. Had to write a new one, even if I knew I got an A1 for it last year. Not necessary though, you are also allowed to keep the same topic, and just changing a few details, a new source, etc. Don't know if that might work for other subjects, they may have certain topics or specific areas that change yearly. I also switched from Ordinary English to Higher Level - I had to cover a completely new course in one year, and still came up with a C1 in Mocks, expecting a B in LC. Completely new 6 poets, Comparatives, etc - the work was pretty big, but if you are willing to put in the effort, it's certainly doable. Courses don't change much overall and 85-95% will be exactly the same. Knowing you had in all covered is a good stress reliever, in that you are only revising, and not learning new stuff, but you can also fall to complacency, aka. "But I have all of this done last year". "Let me just rewrite the same essay from last years copy into this new copy".

And please, don't go to a new school. I went to the same one, but it's just an unnecessary distraction I feel - new teachers will mean new learning methods, and if you spent 5 years being taught by the same teacher, it will be difficult to adapt to a new method. Teachers aren't evil, 99.9% of them want their students to do the best they can. There's no shame in repeating, but if you really can't stand your teachers, just don't go to school daily. Once or twice a week for most of the year was enough for me, but then again I'm much more self-motivated so that may not work for you..

Just go in and do the best you can this year. See where you are in August and then decide whether you think you can achieve much better or not. There are also different paths - why not taking a gap year, finding some work? Then on the side doing something relevant to your course choice, so that uni life will be easier in first year? Leaving Cert is not the end, my friend. Bad grades don't mean a crap life, just as much as getting great grades don't mean a fantastic life. There are various pathways around everything these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you have already had six years in second level, it's not so straightforward to repeat in your school.

Advertisement