Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derailleur shifts gears by itself

• 01-06-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I don't know if I am in the right section for this question, I hope so.
    I have had a brand new bicycle since this last Saturday 30 May. So far I have only done two 6k rides.

The bike has Shimano Acera 3x8 speed derailleurs.

Problem is that the chain goes back and forth between 3rd and 4th gear on the rear derailleur by itself. Right now the shifter says it's in 3rd, but when I look at the cassette, the chain is on another sprocket than that right now. It won't stay in either 3rd or 4th for longer than like a minute when riding. It does stay in all other gears.

I googled, and since the bike is new, it can't be dirt, wear or no lubrication.
    So I guess I have to tune the rear derailleur? With the screws or is it the cable that needs adjustment?

Please help.
    Thanks.

PS. I can't take it back to the store. The store is in Tipperary and I live in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Sorry, thought this was abut the new Shimano fully automatic gear system, but realised it's not out yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The bike's haunted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Matthijs wrote: »
    Hi,

I don't know if I am in the right section for this question, I hope so.
    I have had a brand new bicycle since this last Saturday 30 May. So far I have only done two 6k rides.

The bike has Shimano Acera 3x8 speed derailleurs.

Problem is that the chain goes back and forth between 3rd and 4th gear on the rear derailleur by itself. Right now the shifter says it's in 3rd, but when I look at the cassette, the chain is on another sprocket than that right now. It won't stay in either 3rd or 4th for longer than like a minute when riding. It does stay in all other gears.

I googled, and since the bike is new, it can't be dirt, wear or no lubrication.
    So I guess I have to tune the rear derailleur? With the screws or is it the cable that needs adjustment?

Please help.
    Thanks.

PS. I can't take it back to the store. The store is in Tipperary and I live in Dublin.

Personally, I would start from scratch and do it from the beginning. Which I did.

It's not difficult to do it yourself. I did it without having a clue previously just by using YouTube. Tons of instructional videos there.

Satisfaction from doing it yourself, and you will get to understand the principles of the systems for fine adjustment and future reference.

Can't believe the worthless nonsense of the two previous replies above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

watch this video, explains it all, its fairly easy to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 14 clipless

Hi. There is no need to go near the screws, the cable tension is all you will need to adjust. If the gear is going down from 3 to 4 that means the cable is too loose so turn the cable adjuster on the derailleur anti clockwise and vise versa if its going the other way. No more than one or two turns should be all you need. If you have a stand do the adjustment while you are turning the pedals so you can see what is happening.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 The Gram

This isn't unusual in a new bike. Cables stretch a bit and the gears go out of tune.

It's one of the reasons bike shops offer a service at around 6 weeks.

I wouldn't think you need to go messing with the limit screws at this stage. For minor adjustments there is a cable tensioner right where the cable enters the derailleur. Give this a quarter turn and see if things are better or worse. If here getting better keep going until it's sorted. If things seem worse you're turning it the wrong way!

For larger adjustments, put the chain in the smallest cog. Loosen the nut holding the gear cable in place and pull it tight with a pliers. Then tighten the nut and run through the gears. If there is still some phantom shifting, adjust slightly using the cable tensioner as above.

....basically I'm repeating the four posts above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You only have the bike a week it hasn't been set up right. It's unlikely the cables have stretched over such a short period.

Bring it back to the shop and get them to index the gears correctly. Don't start fiddling around with it you can do that when it needs to be serviced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You only have the bike a week it hasn't been set up right. It's unlikely the cables have stretched over such a short period.

Bring it back to the shop and get them to index the gears correctly. Don't start fiddling around with it you can do that when it needs to be serviced.

A more careful reading of the OP by you would have revealed that it cannot easily be taken back to the shop.

Deal with the world as it is, not how you'd like it to be.

- Jack Welsh

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Matthijs

Thanks for the replies.
    Turning the cable tensioner anti-clockwise a bit seems to have improved the shifting.

Advertisement