Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you wear when playing gigs?

• 01-06-2015 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

What instrument do you play, and what do you wear?
    Do you put much thought into it?

Just curious as it's not something I've ever heard musicians talking about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Not something I've ever considered. I wear what I'm wearing that day, which is usually a t-shirt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Interesting topic. :) I'd say it depends on the type of music being played, plus the occasion and the venue. For example, people would not have much credence in a metal band wearing suits !!! :D On the other hand, it would be a given for a wedding band to dress smartly.

Personally, I do consider what I am going to wear if there is a gig (covers band playing mainly pub gigs) coming up that evening. While I would not lose any sleep on the subject, I still think it shows that you care about what you do, and the people you are going to be entertaining, if you turn up casually, but neatly and cleanly dressed. Normally I'd wear jeans and t-shirt, sometimes with a loose shirt worn over the t-shirt.

I have seen members wearing t-shirts that look...(...and smell...judging by one guy who passed me on his way to the bar during a gig break) like they have been slept in for weeks. Another time in a different band, two members had jeans that looked like they'd been worn while working on the engine of a car. :pac:

I suppose it all depends on your idea of being "cool"...and the age of the members. I play bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I always wear shirt, tie and waistcoat (drummer, alt-rock), but then that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cclancy

Black Tshirt, jeans, waist coat, top hat. Bring a little class to the venues. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Cclancy wrote: »
    Black Tshirt, jeans, waist coat, top hat. Bring a little class to the venues. :P

Top hat and jeans....what a perfect match !!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

It's been ages since I gigged but my last band had a bit of a 90s theme going, so we all wore matching blue jeans, white t-shirts and blue checked shirts. Weezer meets the Beatles!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm inclined to match the shirt to the gig too:

Pub/hotel with middle-aged crowd = smart-ish, dark shirt

Any venue with younger crowd = t-shirts of varying colours

Jam sessions = whatever I'm wearing that day (usually t-shirts)

This is more thought than I've ever put into this subject in my life!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'm a rock drummer and if I gig (haven't in ages now) the main thing I always wear is a pair of converse. I sweat a lot anyway so I prefer shorts and vest.
    Once did a gig wearing cowboy boots (back in the day - late 80's). Never again. I looked cool (for the time) but my feet kept slipping on the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cclancy

I'm a rock drummer and if I gig (haven't in ages now) the main thing I always wear is a pair of converse. I sweat a lot anyway so I prefer shorts and vest.
    Once did a gig wearing cowboy boots (back in the day - late 80's). Never again. I looked cool (for the time) but my feet kept slipping on the pedals.

Haha, that's excellant. As long as you looked cool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Depends on the music, but worth giving a thought and speaking with the other band members to avoid any issues. My current band is indie rock so I usually wear a tshirt and jeans or casual shirt and jeans. :):cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement