Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying concert tickets online

Options
  • 01-06-2015 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hey - anyone know what is the safest way to buy tickets of someone online?

I guess if they have a paypal that will be linked to their bank account?

I have also asked for photo of purchase & their passport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

This guy was very convincing, he gave so much information about himself, maybe too much as i was able to contact the guy he was claiming to be who confirmed it was a scam. Not much ya can do about this :/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would report him to the site he was posting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

yea done that but its a pity there is nothing more that can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Often people selling tickets are still going to the gig themselves, a friend has pulled out or something.

If selling a ticket like this I would state I am going and am willing to meet then outside and have a bouncer confirm its a genuine ticket. This is really the only way of knowing you are getting in, when he has scanned it and let you in. I never had to do this online, people must have thought since I was willing to do it that it was a good sign. I sold tickets (below cost) outside the olympia on behalf of someone and did get the bouncer to verify they were genuine to the buyers.

People think "real" tickets are safe, i.e. not printed from PDF. But people can order tickets to be delivered, cancel them and go collect them at teh box office, they can sell the tickets reported stolen to a tout or to a person on ebay. The ticket will look genuine but the barcode scanner will report it as stolen. I think if people have paid cash then they cannot be reported stolen later, not 100% certain.

I bought print out tickets online and was dubious and rang ticketmaster and after much begging they finally checked out the reference code and told me there were at least no other queries about the tickets from other people, and that the code was genuine. This was seemingly not normal practise though.

There were GAA final tickets on sale before and gardai told people to arrange to meet the buyer outside a garda station. Now this is of course no guarantee at all, I thoguht it a little odd to suggest it. But I expect it would put fear into a scammer and the knee jerk reaction if you asked would be for them to say no way.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/scam-warning-fans-buying-allireland-tickets-urged-to-meet-seller-at-garda-station-29595064.html
    Gardai urged fans to proceed with caution when buying tickets online.
    "Be cautious when buying anything online. If they have any suspicions at all, people should contact their local garda station and it will be fully investigated. And if they find they have been the victim of fraud they should immediately contact the gardai.
    "We recommend buyers and sellers to meet in a public place like outside their local garda station," he said.
    yea done that but its a pity there is nothing more that can be done
    there are numerous things ticketmaster could do, but they don't give a damn, you pay an abosolute fortune for "service charges" and get no help whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hey - anyone know what is the safest way to buy tickets of someone online?

I guess if they have a paypal that will be linked to their bank account?

I have also asked for photo of purchase & their passport

If you're in Ireland toutless.com is the only place I'd trust if you don't get a ticket from the official sources, you can only charge face value so it keeps the scumbags away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Can you register a debit card on My Ticketmaster in order to pay online?

I've always only used a credit card but I no longer have this and tonight I went on to change my card to a debit card and all it keeps mentioning is credit card and make sure the address is the same as your credit card statement.

I actually entered my debit card details and saved them but will it work when I go to actually buy a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Can you register a debit card on My Ticketmaster in order to pay online?

I've always only used a credit card but I no longer have this and tonight I went on to change my card to a debit card and all it keeps mentioning is credit card and make sure the address is the same as your credit card statement.

I actually entered my debit card details and saved them but will it work when I go to actually buy a ticket?

Yep, I bought tickets using a Visa Debit from PTSB a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Thanks johnnykilo. I was thinking surely they accept debit cards online but as I said all the wording kept saying credit card which really surprised me.

So to sum up, ticketmaster need to get their act together and amend the wording on the website.

Advertisement