Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 upgrade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

riclad wrote: »
    Make sure your pc is powerful enough to run windows 10,
    ms always release an os as a beta ,to 1000,s
    of users , to test it .
    long before the public release ,before its in the shops .
    Theres probably a website where you can download the beta from microsoft to try it.
    They want millions of people to get it free,
    they are copying apple,
    release an os with built in app store .
    Apple gets 30 per cut of every app bought from the app store.
    IF most people got windows 10 it would cut tech support costs,
    improve security ,reduce the spread of malware .
    Window,s 8 was a disaster , a pc os designed for tablet users .
    Most large companys just ignored it apart from the tablet ,windows apps.
    windows 10 is designed more for desktop pcs ,for mouse ,keyboard control .eg for 90 per cent of users who dont have a touch controlled screen .
    i hope it has a real start menu like a modern version of windows 7 for

Regarding PC spec requirements - they haven't actually changed very much since the Windows Vista days, so it's safe to say if your PC can run Vista, 7, or 8, it will almost certainly run 10.

There is definitely a preview version available, it's been very heavily mentioned in this thread http://insider.windows.com/

The Start Menu has long been confirmed to be returning - http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/no-tiles.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

MJohnston wrote: »
    Regarding PC spec requirements - they haven't actually changed very much since the Windows Vista days, so it's safe to say if your PC can run Vista, 7, or 8, it will almost certainly run 10.

There is definitely a preview version available, it's been very heavily mentioned in this thread http://insider.windows.com/

The Start Menu has long been confirmed to be returning - http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/no-tiles.jpg

Absolutely. In fact, 8.1 and 10 run far better on older hardware than Vista does, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Absolutely. In fact, 8.1 and 10 run far better on older hardware than Vista does, in my experience.
    Unfortunately, though, Win10 isn't available as a free upgrade for Windows Vista, so it's not an ideal solution that that old Vista laptop you have in the back of the cupboard!

Bayberry wrote: »
    Unfortunately, though, Win10 isn't available as a free upgrade for Windows Vista, so it's not an ideal solution that that old Vista laptop you have in the back of the cupboard!

True, although if I did have an old Vista laptop lying around, I can assure you that Vista would be gone off it a long time ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There,s a start menu in windows 8.1,
    but it doe,snt work the same way as the windows 7 start menu,
    Hopefully the windows 10 start menu ,will be more like windows 7.
    Easy to use and logical to use .
    window s 8 was a jumbled mess of an os,
    lets design a tablet os,that kinda sorta works on pcs with a mouse ,keyboard.
    While being needlessy complicated and hard to learn .
    Most large companys with 100s, of users and pcs, just ignored it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's hard to justify a €100 service on a €350 machine, especially as the technology does move on relatively quickly.
    To get something significantly faster than my 2010 Tesco Extra Value Laptop I'd have to spend more than it originally cost.

The main changes in entry level laptops since is that new ones will have Bluetooth and USB 3 , better battery life , be lighter and have a warranty. And if you use it as a desktop then much of that is moot.

The one €100 upgrade you should probably consider is a 250GB SSD , which you can take to a new laptop.

Like I said, you don't need to say "hopefully the start menu will be more like Windows 7" because the Preview version that I'm using (and millions of others are using!) right now already has that start menu that you want in it.

You can install a Start menu in 8 and 8.1 which looks and works exactly like the one in Windows 7. It always amuses me when people say things like "Oh, I cant be bothered having to use a third party app to make it work how I want it" - and then promptly open Chrome or Firefox.

Windows 8.1 is a far superior OS to 7 in pretty much every way (in my view) but I guess this isnt the place for that discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

coylemj wrote: »
    Other than satisfying MS marketing people, what is the point in clicking a button to 'reserve' Windows 10?

Finally got an answer to that question ......

You'll get a notification when your upgrade is ready later this year. This lets you schedule this installation for a time that's convenient.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Funkiwi75

If I download the Free Upgrade when it comes out, then in a couple of years later I want to/have to format my computer and reinstall will I still be able to go back to 10? is the 3GB upgrade an actual file you can burn to disk?

• Advertisement

Funkiwi75 wrote: »
    If I download the Free Upgrade when it comes out, then in a couple of years later I want to/have to format my computer and reinstall will I still be able to go back to 10? is the 3GB upgrade an actual file you can burn to disk?

There are two different aspects of a clean install - one is the media, and it doesn't really matter if you can reuse that 3GB upgrade file or if you have to get a slightly different copy - it's only bandwidth after all. The other is a license to activate whatever you install, and the indications are that when you upgrade a machine to Win10, the activation key will be stored online and you will be able to do a clean re-install once a machine has been given an activated Win10 license during the upgrade process.

Obviously, noboody can confirm that this process works until Windows 10 is actually released.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you download and activate windows 10,

i presume you register it online, activate it on your pc or laptop.
    You ,LL probably have a unique license key,
    its best to write this down,
    print it out,
    as at some point you may want to put in a new hard drive .
    or your pc drive may break down .
    and it,ll be difficult to acess your license key code ,no info.
    IT S free to home users for 1 year .
    if they email you a license key,code no,,
    dont delete this email .
    maybe print out the email,
    in case say in 12 months your hard drive breaks down,
    and you can no longer download a free version of windows 10.
    copy and paste the key code no, onto a usb drive as a text document ,
    windows10 license key info ,
    activate d date 2015,/ / / , user name ,pc name etc
    they,,l probably send you an email when its activated online .

blah, blah, blah
    There won't be a license key that you can write down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 popart studio

You can always download and install Classic Shell start menu for free, check Windows 7 start menu option on the first run.

classicshell.net

You can always download and install Classic Shell start menu for free, check Windows 7 start menu option on the first run.

classicshell.net

I've mentioned this to people and their response has been "I shouldnt have to use a third party app to make it work how I want", while all the time using Google Chrome or Firefox. Some people! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think in regards to registration of windows 10 I've a feeling Microsoft are going to try tie it in with your email address so that when you re-install windows you enter your email as the account and log in and your good to go.

Obviously it probably wont be as straight forward as this but it is looking that way from the announcement that this will be the last entirely new version of windows and the free upgrades from 7 and 8 for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I've mentioned this to people and their response has been "I shouldnt have to use a third party app to make it work how I want", while all the time using Google Chrome or Firefox. Some people! :pac:

Mehhh people like to moan. I didn't like windows 8 when it came out first but after using it for a while it felt natural and then after trying the windows 10 previews it felt very old school and had to get use to start menu all over again but now I love it and its best of both worlds. There are people moaning about windows 8 that have never even installed it on their pc or laptop but then they are others that genuinely have tried and don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Those people should learn the difference between 'app' and 'program' specially with computers.

I know in the long shot it's the same, just because we use "apps" on the phone does not make we use "apps" on the computer.

PC: Program, Apps (Windows 8, 10)
    Phones and tablets: apps

Asmooh wrote: »
    Those people should learn the difference between 'app' and 'program' specially with computers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_application
    web app is any program that runs in a web browser

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_app
    A mobile app is a computer program designed to run on smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/app?s=t
    noun, Computers, Informal.
    1. an application, typically a small, specialized program downloaded onto mobile devices

I know... but that is not how we normally use them, since smartphones has "apps" people like to say "app" to everything.

• Advertisement

I know... but that is not how we normally use them, since smartphones has "apps" people like to say "app" to everything.
    Who's this "we" you're talking about, Tonto?

"We" call programs apps, because "we" called them applications long before "we" had smartphones.

Who's this "we" you're talking about, Tonto?

"We" call programs apps, because "we" called them applications long before "we" had smartphones.

Different parts of the world I guess.. when Ireland just got colour TV the rest of the world already had it for years.

Different parts of the world I guess.. when Ireland just got colour TV the rest of the world already had it for years.
    The first PAL colour TV regularly scheduled broadcasts in Europe were in 1967 (BBC2 in July 1967). By 1969, RTÉ were broadcasting imported programs (not apps!) in colour too, and by 1971 they broadcast the Eurovision in colour to the rest of Europe, and GAA matches were shown in colour for the first time.

All of this stuff is easy to look up - you should check out this internet thing that all the kids are using these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The first PAL colour TV regularly scheduled broadcasts in Europe were in 1967 (BBC2 in July 1967). By 1969, RTÉ were broadcasting imported programs (not apps!) in colour too, and by 1971 they broadcast the Eurovision in colour to the rest of Europe, and GAA matches were shown in colour for the first time.

All of this stuff is easy to look up - you should check out this internet thing that all the kids are using these days.

You're confusing programs with programmes.

MrVestek wrote: »
    You're confusing programs with programmes.

Touché.

Though technically I'm not confusing anything - I'm just using the American spelling, and there was nothing confusing about it in this context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Touché.

Though technically I'm not confusing anything - I'm just using the American spelling, and there was nothing confusing about it in this context.

True. It's annoying when people get needlessly pedantic like that, isn't it?

I used to call them programs or applications, so now I just call everything apps. There's no substantive difference anymore really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

So a little box has appeared on my taskbar, for downloading Windows 10. Is it worth it?

I am currently using Windows 7. It runs fairly issue free.

My parents are running Windows 7 also but find the computer is very very slow. I've run anti-virus etc but hasn't found anything. Would Windows 10 suit them better?

Could someone please tell when you have clicked the little white Microsoft box, how long does it actually take to get the 10 download, someone told me it could take up to 2 weeks, another told me he got it in couple of hours, I am 12 hours waiting at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

So after 5 failed attempts at upgrading, i finally got around to taking out my graphics card and going back to the intel graphics on the pc.. ran the update again and worked no problems.. figured my graphics card might not work but put back in and hey presto everyone is fine... i had to re install kaspersky anti virus as the version i had wouldn't start.. so very everything pretty stable..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

i had to re install kaspersky anti virus as the version i had wouldn't start.. so very everything pretty stable..

KTS 2016 is up now and works fine with Win10. 2015 and earlier yup limitations even with a reinstall and patch.

Advertisement