Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith college Dublin" Higher Diploma in Computing Science"

Options
  • 01-06-2015 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Everybody,

I`m planning to start the Higher dip.course in computing science part time in Griffith college Dublin.
    Just wondering has anybody done this course and knows what programming language they use ?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

mandymandy wrote: »
    Hi Everybody,

I`m planning to start the Higher dip.course in computing science part time in Griffith college Dublin.
    Just wondering has anybody done this course and knows what programming language they use ?

Thanks a lot.

Java is the main one.

Then the following: JavaFX (The Limerick campus used C#), MySQL, PHP, Html/css, Javascript.

Java was very well covered (2 modules), as was MySQL and JavaFX (1 module each).

But the others were kind of thrown at us in a "go make me a website lol" fashion, with maybe an hour of real tuition for each language. Lots of self learning was required. Given that it was a group project to build a database driven website, i became the php/sql wizard, when another did the javascript and json, and another the html/css. It was great for making us learn our own sections, but it meant we actually learned very little about the languages used in the other sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mandymandy

I want to know as much as possible in advance, before i start, because i`m in full- time employement, and I want to start catching up in time, as I`m planning to keep my job during the 3 semesters.( i`ll do the course in part time and I want to catch up with maths and programming at least).
    What other modules you`ve had in this course? I`ve emailed the college ,asking for a detailed list of modules and subjects but still no reply....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

mandymandy wrote: »
    I want to know as much as possible in advance, before i start, because i`m in full- time employement, and I want to start catching up in time, as I`m planning to keep my job during the 3 semesters.( i`ll do the course in part time and I want to catch up with maths and programming at least).
    What other modules you`ve had in this course? I`ve emailed the college ,asking for a detailed list of modules and subjects but still no reply....

Modules are on the website: https://www.griffith.ie/faculties/computing/courses/higher-diploma-science-computing

Its in the structure tab.

Architecture and organisation, communications and networks, Operating system design are all theory. The rest are programming / maths.

It's tough going in full time employment, but its perfectly doable.

For maths, maybe brush up on your algebra and matrixes?

Protip: get github and eclipse working. For people unfamiliar with these, it can be a real pain as it takes a while to get the hang of them / get them configured. Having these ready to go off the bat will save some time.
    Computer Architecture and Organisation
    Computer Programming
    Data Communications and Networks
    Discrete Mathematics
    HCI & GUI Programming
    Operating System Design
    Programming and Data Structures
    Relational Databases
    Software Engineering for Web Applications
    Object Orientated Development
    - See more at: https://www.griffith.ie/faculties/computing/courses/higher-diploma-science-computing#sthash.7FoXeAUm.dpuf
    Computer Architecture and Organisation
    Computer Programming
    Data Communications and Networks
    Discrete Mathematics
    HCI & GUI Programming
    Operating System Design
    Programming and Data Structures
    Relational Databases
    Software Engineering for Web Applications
    Object Orientated Development
    - See more at: https://www.griffith.ie/faculties/computing/courses/higher-diploma-science-computing#sthash.7FoXeAUm.dpuf

Advertisement