Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Motorcycle Courier vs Pedestrian

• 01-06-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hey,

Caught this footage on Thursday 28th May at 4.00pm.

Didn't have time to stop and give my details to the biker. Sharing it here in case someone knows him and he wants to follow it up.

I presume in this case the pedestrian is completely in the wrong here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Good man for stopping ffs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

martomcg wrote: »
    Hey,

I presume in this case the pedestrian is completely in the wrong here?
    not the right place for the pedestrian to be crossing but if you just assume everyone else is going to do the right thing, it will only be a matter of time before you get caught out.

A lesson for both of them as far as I can see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

cant see how too much blame can be attributed to the biker - she was totally shielded by the 4x4 and didn't bother her bollix looking where she was going

she actually broke into a run without knowing what was on the other side of the 4x4 just as the bike was passing. she was very lucky. hope they were both ok anyway - could've been nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No idea who's in the wrong, in my head it's about 70-30, ped more in the wrong. Obviously not looking is the problem, but biker should have been looking too.
    b_mac2 wrote: »
    Good man for stopping ffs...

Sometimes you just don't have the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Cienciano wrote: »
    Sometimes you just don't have the time.

Yeah, and this is what's wrong with people today... Too "busy" to look out for one another. Wouldn't of taken literally two minutes to stop and give his mobile number to both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

They were both in the wrong. She is a numpty, plain and simple. But he was driving too fast and was then accelerating fast to go nowhere; there were already people crossing the road up ahead, so he would have been sitting in a yellow box anyway. So the woman pedestrian probably would have thought, as it's a red light, and a yellow box, that she was safe enough to act stupidly.

HOWEVER, what really pisses me off about this is how he gets up, and all he's worried about is his bike. I've seen so many videos like that. Turn your f*ck1ng ignition off, sure, but then see if the woman on the ground, that you just hit at 50km/h, is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

She actually runs into the side of him. The bike doesn't hit her as such... She hits the bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Lack of pedestrian crossings are the causes of these collisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Lack of pedestrian crossings are the causes of these collisions.

Knowing this junction, there are ped crossings on all 4 sides, and the camera was stopped right at one. Sheer impatience and stupidity to be crossing between cars when there was a red ped light showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Theres a lot going on in that video that we cant see...Did the biker break a red light when turning..?..He was overtaking at a junction ,which is illegal, i'm sure he shouldnt be overtaking on a yellow box, was there a green man showing on any of the traffic lights..?he definately should have been more careful..imaging she had been carrying a child, or worse........................a KFC...

50/50 imo....if there was no red light...100% biker if the was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭biketard

As Max says, there's a lot going on.

Is this not also the fault of the cars stopped in the box junction? They shouldn't even enter that unless they are clear to continue. The only exception is if you are waiting to turn right and are prevented from doing so only by oncoming traffic. That's not the case here.

So in my opinion, the cars in the yellow box are to blame, the pedestrian is to blame, and the biker is to blame too (just by entering the yellow box [and it really looked like he was almost accelerating towards a red light]).

But I have to say that's a really stupid place to have a yellow box junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

biketard wrote: »
    As Max says, there's a lot going on.

Is this not also the fault of the cars stopped in the box junction? They shouldn't even enter that unless they are clear to continue. The only exception is if you are waiting to turn right and are prevented from doing so only by oncoming traffic. That's not the case here.

So in my opinion, the cars in the yellow box are to blame, the pedestrian is to blame, and the biker is to blame too (just by entering the yellow box [and it really looked like he was almost accelerating towards a red light]).

But I have to say that's a really stupid place to have a yellow box junction.

In this case the biker had a green light. The reason its a yellow box junction is because the Luas crosses the road there. Its a problem everyday where cars block up the junction.

As said above there's a pedestrian crossing on all 4 sides of that junction and no reason for a pedestrian to be running out into the middle of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

In this case the biker had a green light. The reason its a yellow box junction is because the Luas crosses the road there. Its a problem everyday where cars block up the junction.

As said above there's a pedestrian crossing on all 4 sides of that junction and no reason for a pedestrian to be running out into the middle of it.

Maybe..but as biketard pointed out the cars shouldnt be there ,and for that fact neither should the bike have entered the box....

Its one of those situatione, we;ve all done things and got away with it, if this if that..its just lucky noone was hurt (for now;)) in the accident.....
    But i'm going to say if the pedestrian took out a claim on this fottage i think she would get a few bob.....just sayin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Congrats, OP,you made it into Broadsheet! ;)

I suspect that jury will be more hostile.

My own 2c? The accident is the stupid pedestrian's fault, but this kind of stupidity is so endemic that anyone riding a bike in city centre traffic really needs to make allowance for it. If it had been a small child that ran out, the kid would be dead now, and it wouldn't be much consolation to anyone to say that it was their own fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

rat_race wrote:
    HOWEVER, what really pisses me off about this is how he gets up, and all he's worried about is his bike. I've seen so many videos like that. Turn your f*ck1ng ignition off, sure, but then see if the woman on the ground, that you just hit at 50km/h, is okay.

Not a biker? If I go down for what ever reason the first thing I do is lift the bike. Same as every other biker I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I really cannot believe that the OP just drove off, knowing he had just captured video footage of this accident.

What sort of biker are you ffs? Out of concern you post this footage 2 weeks later?
    What is wrong with you that you couldnt spare 5 effing minutes to help these folks?
    At the very least you should have stopped to give your details?

What were you doing - transporting a heart for transplant ???? Shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

nc19 wrote: »
    Not a biker? If I go down for what ever reason the first thing I do is lift the bike. Same as every other biker I know.

100% on this, apart from the fact a running bike could easily start spinning out of control if the wheels are still going and cause further injury.

The pedestrian was totally in the wrong here, is it really hard to spot lads ??

I didn't think it was possible for Ireland to get even more "sure its grand" than it is !! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I really cannot believe that the OP just drove off, knowing he had just captured video footage of this accident.

What sort of biker are you ffs? Out of concern you post this footage 2 weeks later?
    What is wrong with you that you couldnt spare 5 effing minutes to help these folks?
    At the very least you should have stopped to give your details?

What were you doing - transporting a heart for transplant ???? Shame on you.

Climb down off your high horse there. As has been said already sometimes you just can't stop. Where was he going to pull in? In the yellow box? The left junction into oncoming traffic? 200 meters down the road when he is already caught for time? The OP has it on video and put it up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭biketard

You know I actually typed another bit saying that perhaps the biker may have had a green light, in which case he was good to go, but that couple had just started crossing, and both the OP and the car beside him were stood still, implying that the light was still red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Save for an absolute dire family emergency I can't see why the OP didn't have the compassion to stop, it doesn't take too long to ask after everyone's welfare, offer a phone or witness details.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of who is at fault its shameful to just f*ck off and not bother like the OP did.

The OP f*cked off without even a backwards glance.. For shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Save for an absolute dire family emergency I can't see why the OP didn't have the compassion to stop, it doesn't take too long to ask after everyone's welfare, offer a phone or witness details.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of who is at fault its shameful to just f*ck off and not bother like the OP did.

The OP f*cked off without even a backwards glance.. For shame.

Both of them were on their feet before I moved off and I've shared the footage here and on broadsheet.

Nobody died, so chill out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Both of them were on their feet before I moved off and I've shared the footage here and on broadsheet.

Nobody died, so chill out.

"Nobody died", I doubt you'd have cared too much either way ~ time being so precious!.

IMO your actions (or lack of) are pretty shameful.. More then once I've thought to myself that this country needs a 'Good Samaritans Law' (France, Switzerland, Germany have it) whereby your actions would have been deemed illegal.

If time wasn't so precious to you you could have traced the courier company yourself instead of asking us to do your footwork.

You've a neck.

nc19 wrote: »

I am a biker...and I consider myself more of a biker than someone who puts his bike before people in a crash. Would love to hear your reason for addressing your bike before people. Coolant is cheap. Oil drips back down into the sump.

KTR1C wrote: »
    100% on this, apart from the fact a running bike could easily start spinning out of control if the wheels are still going and cause further injury.

If you'd read what I said, you'd know that I said the ignition should be turned off first. What are the other reasons that you're "100% on"?

Also who gives a sh1t who was right or wrong? Is that supposed to influence your priorities over people versus machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

rat_race wrote: »
    I am a biker...and I consider myself more of a biker than someone who puts his bike before people in a crash. Would love to hear your reason for addressing your bike before people.
    Shock, panic, embarrassment? I remember slipping on a roundabout once cos some prick pulled out in front of me. All I wanted to do was pick my bike up and get the fnck out of the way. I only pulled in to check if myself or the bike was OK 1km down the road.
    If I had sense, I'd have moved slowly myself to wheel the bike out of the way and then check, rather than worrying about everyone around me and driving off with a potentially damaged bike or damaged body.

Ask anyone who cycles anywhere if they've ever had an accident. Practically all of them will say their first instinct was to check if their bike was ok. They could have 3 missing fingers and an eye hanging out of its socket, and their immediate concern will be for their bike.

I would rarely judge a person in an accident for their first instincts unless they did a runner. Adrenaline does different things to us all, makes us think about ourselves before anyone else.

On this particular incident, yes there are two numpties. The courier is overtaking at a junction, which is illegal. The pedestrian is not only crossing without looking, but also crossing within 5m of a pedestrian crossing.

However case law is on the courier's side and in the strictest sense the pedestrian should be held fully liable in this case. Whether that actually happens is another matter.

I know this junction well, the ped crossing is badly located, it should be much further up, almost beside the LUAS tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fingers!

I had a similar encounter with a Pedestrian in February. In trying to avoid the pedestrian, my bike fell against a BMW car.

Gardai were called. They turned up 90 minutes later.

Pedestrian first tried to leave scene. I stopped him. Then Pedestrian told the driver of the BMW, and me, and the gardai that he was responsible for the whole thing. Pedestrian said he was in a hurry, was going on vacation etc.

Gardai told me that night that I had nothing to worry about and that they would call me in a few days to get a statement.

I phoned Liberty Insurance, gave details. They phoned me back and told me that as pedestrians don't have insurance, the entire claim would go through my insurance. My insurance had to fix the BMW car, and my bike. Liberty told me I could take a civil case myself against the pedestrian but that they would not be involved or support me with same and that my no claims bonus was gone 'like it or not'.

Gardai told me some days later that there was little they could do about the pedestrian. They went as far as to argue I shouldn't have been filtering and that they would seek to bring charges of careless driving against me if I wished to make a statement against the pedestrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Fingers! wrote: »
    I had a similar encounter with a Pedestrian in February. In trying to avoid the pedestrian, my bike fell against a BMW car.

Gardai were called. They turned up 90 minutes later.

Pedestrian first tried to leave scene. I stopped him. Then Pedestrian told the driver of the BMW, and me, and the gardai that he was responsible for the whole thing. Pedestrian said he was in a hurry, was going on vacation etc.

Gardai told me that night that I had nothing to worry about and that they would call me in a few days to get a statement.

I phoned Liberty Insurance, gave details. They phoned me back and told me that as pedestrians don't have insurance, the entire claim would go through my insurance. My insurance had to fix the BMW car, and my bike. Liberty told me I could take a civil case myself against the pedestrian but that they would not be involved or support me with same and that my no claims bonus was gone 'like it or not'.

Gardai told me some days later that there was little they could do about the pedestrian. They went as far as to argue I shouldn't have been filtering and that they would seek to bring charges of careless driving against me if I wished to make a statement against the pedestrian.

So pedestrians can do what they like, cause RTA's and have zero consequences ??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's more a case that in the normal course of things, the BMW would "sue" the bike, who in turn would "sue" the pedestrian, and the insurance companies sort it all out.

However, as the ped has no insurance, it's a case that the BMW claims from the bike, and the bike's insurance company isn't bothered chasing the pedestrian in court, so just pays out instead.

The bike still has the option of taking a civil case against the pedestrian, but without any assistance from anyone else.

seamus wrote: »
    It's more a case that in the normal course of things, the BMW would "sue" the bike, who in turn would "sue" the pedestrian, and the insurance companies sort it all out.

However, as the ped has no insurance, it's a case that the BMW claims from the bike, and the bike's insurance company isn't bothered chasing the pedestrian in court, so just pays out instead.

The bike still has the option of taking a civil case against the pedestrian, but without any assistance from anyone else.

Correct.

Too much effort for insurance company. They asked many times if the pedestrian was hit/injured or if ped was likely to sue. Once the answer to that was No, they just wanted the case closed.

It was a few days before my insurance renewal too, had quote of €386 and that went up to €760 :mad:

• Advertisement

First thing I did was kill engine and pick up my bike - a normal enough reaction I think. Picked up bike, then turned to check on the pedestrian to find he was escaping :)

And yes I also agree with all above - OP, you should have stopped!

Advertisement