Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Motorcycle Courier vs Pedestrian

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

rat_race wrote:
    I am a biker...and I consider myself more of a biker than someone who puts his bike before people in a crash. Would love to hear your reason for addressing your bike before people. Coolant is cheap. Oil drips back down into the sump.

A bike on its side while running will do damage very quickly as the oil is all to one side the oil pump may not pump the oil. Also another vehicle may hit it and do further damage. Also, it's 100% the pedestrians fault so in that case my bike is more important (yes I am an inconsiderate asshole. I know this very well) Also, the pedestrian has no insurance so who's gonna pay for my bike?? Any way I can possible minimise the damage by picking it up I will.

As I was lying on the road with a fractured hip 15 yrs ago after an idiot learner driver t-boned me my first thoughts were for my bike. I told the passer by who helped me to turn off the bike and pick it up. After words I asked him to call an ambulance.

If I was this particular biker the first thing I would have done is pick up the bike, move it off the road, go to the woman and ask her wtf she was doing and then after the initial shock wore off I would assess my myself for any injuries that might have me out of work unable to pay my bills and if there was any injuries this would inform my decision on how to proceed with my interaction with the woman.

You can take your hippy dippy love everyone bollixoligy and...........

I look out for my child first, my wife second and then my extended family after that. Everyone else can fug off in general. I reserve the right to change this attitude depending on how much sleep I've had.

rat_race wrote:
    Also who gives a sh1t who was right or wrong? Is that supposed to influence your priorities over people versus machine?

When it's my machine, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Reading some replies i'm confused why youre having a go at the OP...it is clear (to me anyways) that there were enough people/witnesses on the scene, they were both on their feet as the lights changed, the fact he attended to the bike first was probably due to the fact that the throttle was jammed open and instinct kicked in.....imo the fool in the silver jeep held back to let her cross without checking for the bike, he may have even waved her across....she was clearly in a hurry and not bothered using the crossing, but i think it was just wrong place wrong time for the biker....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

nc19 wrote: »
    Not a biker? If I go down for what ever reason the first thing I do is lift the bike. Same as every other biker I know.

Doesn't really matter if you're a biker or not. If I hit a car I'd go for the bike. Hit a pedestrian I'd definitely check them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I can't see why the OP didn't have the compassion to stop, it doesn't take too long to ask after everyone's welfare, offer a phone or witness details.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of who is at fault its shameful to just f*ck off and not bother like the OP did.

The OP f*cked off without even a backwards glance.. For shame.

There were multiple witnesses present, some of whom went straight over to the two people involved. Unless OP is a trained medic, not much point in him adding to the crowd and blocking the road even further.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Bikers are supposed to be rebellious devil may care hard men.

Too many sensitive souls in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Re. picking a bike up.. Its largely instinctive in my experience.

I was knocked from my motorbike by a cyclist back in 1992 (it may have been '95, who cares).. The asshole was cycling up the Quays against the flow of traffic and knocked me from the bike.

The little prick got up and f*cked off.

Not one person stopped to ask if I was ok, anyway first thing I done was pick up the bike and put it onto the footpath (it was a Kawasaki GT550) ~ I was taken to hospital and later learned I'd broken both my elbows and broke a wrist too.

Spent 11 months off work waiting on surgery for my fractured scaphoid fracture (wrist).

I'd never assume people getting up are ok, like I said they may need to use a phone or just get some reassurance that they're ok or witness details.

As a biker I'd never leave another biker down, but then not everyone who rides a motorbike is a biker either.

However the message on the video should be plain for all to see for both pedestrians and motorists, be aware and always look both ways.

A mate of mine, another courier had an accident on Haddington Road a few years back. Very similar to this one, but the pedestrian stepped out from between parked cars eating a sandwich, got knocked down, received a broken leg ~ and died later that evening from a blood clot caused by the accident (despite seemingly being ok apart from his broken leg).

Cienciano wrote:
    Doesn't really matter if you're a biker or not. If I hit a car I'd go for the bike. Hit a pedestrian I'd definitely check them.

Different strokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I imagined something like that caused your friend years of trauma, regardless of whether he was responsible or not. I know I would be pretty ****ed up by it even if the pedestrian was 100% in the wrong.
    Re. picking a bike up.. Its largely instinctive in my experience.

I was knocked from my motorbike by a cyclist back in 1992 (it may have been '95, who cares).. The asshole was cycling up the Quays against the flow of traffic and knocked me from the bike.

The little prick got up and f*cked off.

Not one person stopped to ask if I was ok, anyway first thing I done was pick up the bike and put it onto the footpath (it was a Kawasaki GT550) ~ I was taken to hospital and later learned I'd broken both my elbows and broke a wrist too.

Spent 11 months off work waiting on surgery for my fractured scaphoid fracture (wrist).

I'd never assume people getting up are ok, like I said they may need to use a phone or just get some reassurance that they're ok or witness details.

As a biker I'd never leave another biker down, but then not everyone who rides a motorbike is a biker either.

However the message on the video should be plain for all to see for both pedestrians and motorists, be aware and always look both ways.

A mate of mine, another courier had an accident on Haddington Road a few years back. Very similar to this one, but the pedestrian stepped out from between parked cars eating a sandwich, got knocked down, received a broken leg ~ and died later that evening from a blood clot caused by the accident (despite seemingly being ok apart from his broken leg).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

rat_race wrote: »
    HOWEVER, what really pisses me off about this is how he gets up, and all he's worried about is his bike. I've seen so many videos like that. Turn your f*ck1ng ignition off, sure, but then see if the woman on the ground, that you just hit at 50km/h, is okay.

To be fair to the biker, he's a courier, his bike is his job, his job is his bike. He would've known from the impact that it wasn't a serious collision, the woman was getting to her feet before he even was so of course he's going to grab his bike.

I'm not familiar at all with that particular area and the light sequence isn't 100% clear from the video so it's hard to say whether the biker was breaking a red light as some people say and therefore hard to know who was at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭allroad

Every time I've been hit by a car or fallen off, my first instinct is to hit the kill switch and check the bike. Even the time I had multiple arm fractures (which weren't apparent until my second trip to casualty, because the pain was growing intense despite the ministrations of the so called doctor for the "bad sprain" during the first visit).
    Having said that, I've never been unfortunate enough to hit a pedestrian. I'd like to think I would be more concerned about them than the bike.
    On the issue of the OP, sorry mate but you had video footage which may have helped another biker. I would have made sure he could have contacted me. 2 minutes to give him your contact number may have saved him a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭biketard

YurOK2 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar at all with that particular area and the light sequence isn't 100% clear from the video so it's hard to say whether the biker was breaking a red light as some people say and therefore hard to know who was at fault.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the light right where the OP was waiting, not the light that the biker would've initially turned right. I assumed there was no issue there.

Advertisement