Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brace on a hurley

• 01-06-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

I always thought braces were nailed onto hurleys to prevent fracture.
    About 20 years ago most hurleys had one or sometimes two braces. As a kid all our hurleys came with a brace as standard.
    Gradually they seem to be disappearing. I noticed most Wexford lads didnt use them over the years.

Any theories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

digzy wrote: »
    I always thought braces were nailed onto hurleys to prevent fracture.
    About 20 years ago most hurleys had one or sometimes two braces. As a kid all our hurleys came with a brace as standard.
    Gradually they seem to be disappearing. I noticed most Wexford lads didnt use them over the years.

Any theories?

I honestly have no idea. I remember for some reason when I was a nipper that you weren't allowed to have more than two braces on the hurley though.

I'd like to know the answer to this myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Health and safety plus better sourced wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Adds weight

Hurleys werent as readily available then so i would think it would've been common a fella plays on with a crack in the boss with the brace keeping it together. These days it would be unheard of.

Putting a nail in a new hurley will weaken the hurley where the nail is...

All possible theories?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Personally use bandless hurleys myself these days. Reason I switched was when the band comes loose it makes an awful noise and seems to affect the strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 menace404

Isn't called a 'splice'

• Advertisement
Advertisement