Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spd-pelvic pain.

Options
  • 01-06-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Im only 13 weeks in and already experiencing groin pain and pain down my inner thighs. This is my 2nd baby and had very bad pelvic pain after the last delivery but mot during pregnancy.
    Had a google and sounds like spd..anyone else had this? Would an osteopath/physio help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Depending on your hospital maybe get them to refer you to the physio.
    I have had the similar pain since about 12 weeks pregnant....More pubic bone and sacroiliac joint pain tho and not down my leg. Maybe you have a touch of sciatica too.
    I went to a physio and then to a Cranio Sacrial osteopath with which I got great relief. You need a few sessions with the osteopath though ( well I did).
    Then you will read about the usual tips:
    Don't cross your legs
    Sleep with a pillow between your knees
    Keep your knees together getting in and out of car/bed.
    Good luck. It's not nice !!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Make sure when you sleep with pillow between your knees that your feet are separated by a pillow too, to keep the alignment. Maybe invest in a good body pillow if you are at 13 weeks - you've a good bit to go. I've had SPD on every pregnancy and this is my best one for SPD by far. I definitely put it down to the body pillow I bought - Theraline Maternity and Nursing Pillow (it's a monster and like another body in the bed but so worth it). Highly recommend it but normal pillows will work too. The plumper ones are better I find.

Physio helps hugely. Mine does acupuncture as well - was brilliant, really gets into the muscles. They give you exercises as well to help improve and stop yourself getting worse. Pregnancy massage can help hugely too but I wouldn't rely on that on its own. You don't need to wait for a referral for physio if you are willing to go privately. Usually anywhere between 50 and 70 euro.

For pain down your inner thighs, lie down on your back. Roll a tennis ball up and down where it's painful (physio showed me that.) Push the ball in while rolling so you are rubbing at the muscles.

Watch your core muscles around your stomach. when you are pregnant we think we should let the bump hang out. Focus on pulling it in (like a dinner belly). You need strong core muscles for your skeletal frame. Maybe yours didn't get a chance to recover their strength fully between pregnancies? I've done nothing more than that (for core muscles) this time round and it has made a huge difference. Pilates can be good also and they will tailor the exercises for you if pregnant at any of the regular classes I've every been to.

A good physio should be able to explain all this to you. I'd go to one sooner rather than later before things get any worse. If you are near Dublin 15 pm me and I will send you details of my physio if you like, she's fantastic and explains everything really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I had SPD quite early on in my last pregnancy. I think I was 8 weeks when it started.
    All of the other suggestions about pillows, physio and good shoes is right on the money. I also wore the pelvic support belts that the physiotherapists gave too. I had a lot of acupuncture through the pregnancy and that helped a lot too.

I'm currently 8 weeks on my second pregnancy and thankfully haven't had a touch of it yet, fingers crossed it stays that way too.
    It left immediately upon delivery for me last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭monday monday

thanks everyone for the advice. the joys of pregnancy!! im going to look into an osteopath and get myself some plumpy pillows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Agh, seems like I've been struck down with the affliction too! :( Started off as small twinges of a slight ache in front of pubic bone last week but did quite a bit of walking the weekend in town and was really sore to sit/stand and now mainly to turn in bed. It's not severe but I just hope it doesn't get worse.

Anyone else going through it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes. Well I think its a combination of this and sciatica. Waking up in the night with the pain now. I have been to physio and am doing pilates. Hope it will settle down!

amazing all the ailments you never knew existing til pregnancy! :rolleyes:

I've got pilates tonight, hopefully goes ok. Signed up to Baby Body Fit this week and dunno if I'm able for it... will have to see how it goes but could be difficult to commit to it if it could get worse.

Up most of the night last night. It flares up and then there is nothing for it only get out of bed. Watching Gilmore girls at 4 am. :(

GP said she can't refer to hospital physio for SPD :( will need to wait til back from holidays at my next appt in 2 weeks.
    PS: She said support belt might help. Anyone know where I could get this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

A private physio costs about €40 for an hour. It's well with it to help manage and avoid that pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭cleanslate

I bought this for sciatica and pelvic pain, it works a bit, it has taken the edge off the pain, hasn't cleared it up, but actually not as severe as it was, just in case it might help someone, buy a size bigger, this was recommended by most of the reviews and I agree, the bigger size fits perfectly:

http://www.inhealth.ie/carriwell-maternity-support-band-1.html?gclid=CPKPhqT-uc4CFUWT7QodaRsGLA

Didn't see anything suitable in the pharmacy before travel so decided to order that one. Hopefully it works for me!

I have been wearing a support band also. Its fairly heavy duty. Definitely helps but im trying not to wear it all the time.

Advertisement