Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to buy Selective herbicide to manage grasses around hedging?

Options
  • 02-06-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have about 100m of young hedging which is getting over grown by grasses. I have read there are selective herbicides that will only kill the grass and not harm the hedge itself. "Aramo" and "Fusilade" came up when I researched them but I can't see a way of sourcing them in Ireland/UK. Are they only a professional production?

I see Fusilade II Turf and Ornamental Herbicide on Amazon.co.uk (mad money I know) but unsure if thats just for new growth after weeding or well established grass weeds.

My back health is important :D don't want to have to destroy it again by hand weeding the hedge if at all possible.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I have about 100m of young hedging which is getting over grown by grasses. I have read there are selective herbicides that will only kill the grass and not harm the hedge itself. "Aramo" and "" came up when I researched them but I can't see a way of sourcing them in Ireland/UK. Are they only a ion?

I see Fusilade II Turf and Ornamental Herbicide on Amazon.co.uk (mad money I know) but unsure if thats just for new growth after weeding or well established grass weeds.

My back health is important :D don't want to have to destroy it again by hand weeding the hedge if at all possible.

Cheers
    Fusilade was a professional product haven't seen it for ages

Crazy money:eek:

try using roundup / glyphosate gel weedkiller and slowly rub on to the weeds / Grasses taking extra care of the hedge leaves

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roundup-Ready-Use-Weedkiller-Gel/dp/B005ZALTF0

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

try using roundup / glyphosate gel weedkiller and slowly rub on to the weeds / Grasses taking extra care of the hedge

Russian roulette!

No matter how careful you are,it is practicly impossible to do that without tipping at least some of the leaves,and you'll end up with no weed and no hedge!
    (especially if a broadleaf hedge)
    I'm afraid you'll have to use your back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

What sort of hedge is it?

I've used roundup around a very young beech hedge without any problems. It's now one of the healthiest beech hedges I've ever seen.

Keep the nossle down very low the ground. I've 100% got roundup on leaves before but it has never killed any of my hedge.

PeteFalk78 wrote: »

I've used roundup around a very young beech hedge without any problems. It's now one of the healthiest beech hedges I've ever seen.

Keep the nossle down very low the ground. I've 100% got roundup on leaves before but it has never killed any of my hedge.

I've been tending gardens for the last 30 years and believe me,op,that's one definite way to wipe out a hedge-I've seen a beech hedge destroyed by spray-drift(very light)
    Glycophosphate is a systemic killer(i.e is taken in by plant and kills from the inside),destroying growth potential,thus killing the plant.
    One drop of even diluted Round-up(or Gallup)directly on a leaf has the potential to kill that plant or sapling.
    Remember 2 litres of Glycophosohate is enough to clear one hectare(2.5acres)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

invicta wrote: »
    I've been tending gardens for the last 30 years and believe me,op,that's one definite way to wipe out a hedge

How do you explain why I have a perfectly healthy and thriving hedge now then?
    I'm pretty sure my beech hedge weren't GM'd to withstand glyphosate :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I've been tending gardens for the last 30 years and believe me,op,that's one definite way to wipe out a hedge-I've seen a beech hedge destroyed by spray-drift(very light)
    Glycophosphate is a systemic killer(i.e is taken in by plant and kills from the inside),destroying growth potential,thus killing the plant.
    One drop of even diluted Round-up(or Gallup)directly on a leaf has the potential to kill that plant or sapling.
    Remember 2 litres of Glycophosohate is enough to clear one hectare(2.5acres)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Beech tree/hedge
    invicta wrote: »
    try using roundup / glyphosate gel weedkiller and slowly rub on to the weeds / Grasses taking extra care of the hedge

Russian roulette!

No matter how careful you are,it is practicly impossible to do that without tipping at least some of the leaves,and you'll end up with no weed and no hedge!
    (especially if a broadleaf hedge)
    I'm afraid you'll have to use your back!

So its Fusilade for me so to save the back :D I fear if I use roundup I would end up killing some of the hedge. It cost me enough to put down so getting Fusilade to have to use over the next while is a good investment if it saves the back and allows the hedge to thrive.

Thanks for the suggestions/ideas folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JaneF

Try this:
    Using a strimmer or shears, cut the grass and other vegetation as near to the ground as you can.
    Collect lots of cardboard boxes (from local shop or supermarket or shops that sell fridges etc). Any brown cardboard will do.

Strip off the sellotape and plastic stickers or they will return to haunt you. Split the boxes at the seam and open them out flat. Tedious, but children can usually be bribed, and they enjoy the destruction!

Push the flattened cardboard, brown side up, right up to and around the hedge plants. Lay them so that they overlap slightly and light is excuded. You might need to cut slits to allow the cardboard to fit closely around the hedge plants. Wait for rain, or soak the cardboard with a hose.

Cover the cardboard so you can't see it with a nice thick layer of mulch. You can use grass clippings, shredded prunings etc, or buy a ton of finely shredded bark mulch.

This sounds tedious but it will work and you won't need to use any horrid poisons. Also you could treat a few metres at a time. After a few months, the cardboard will rot down, earthworms and ground beetles will come up to eat the cardboard and will improve the soil so your hedge will flourish.

PS. You can use a thick layer of wet newspapers/ magazines/ Sunday supplements if you can't get enough cardboard. I did this about 18 years ago with my first hedge, and I can assure you it works.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

How do you explain why I have a perfectly healthy and thriving hedge now then?
    I'm pretty sure my beech hedge weren't GM'd to withstand glyphosate :rolleyes:

I've sprayed my beech hedge (planted March 2014) twice with roundup at this stage once in August 2014 and again in early April 2015 to control grass which had almost overcome the plants. I used a knapsack with an attachment to stop the spray from drifting. The only plants to die by me are the ones which sucumbed to the grass prior to the 1st spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

I don't get it, what exactly is the point of the cardboard/newspaper?, if you're going to use bark mulch anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement