Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing 2nd year & fees in the future

Options
  • 02-06-2015 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I'm new to boards.ie and I'm very sorry if this has been asked a million times before, and I feel like this is something I should already know

I completed first year in IT Carlow and halfway through second year I realised the course wasn't for me and stopped trying. I'm pretty certain I've failed the year (We had no exams so I can't repeat in August) and if not I plan on dropping out anyway.

How does this affect my education in the future financially? I would like to go back to college to study psychology after working for a bit, but what will I have to pay each year when I return to college? Will it be the full fees every year, and what are they? Would I be eligible for financial age?

Again, I feel like these are very stupid questions but Id really appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 elavia

If you go back to do another course within the next 5 years, you will have to pay full fees for the first two years of your new course. Third and fourth year would then be free. After 5 years, your fee status 'resets' as such and you can qualify for free fees for all 3-4 years again.

Note also that if you have been receiving a maintenance grant, you will not be eligible to receive it again until 5 years have elapsed. This means you'll have to pay full registration fees on your new course too (3,000 euro from this Sept). I am not entirely sure if you could claim a maintenance grant for the 3rd/4th year if it's less than 5 years since you left your previous course, but you'd definitely strike it off for 1st and 2nd year anyway.

Fees differ depending on the course and university. Be a few thousand anyway (you'll have to check the site or contact the college in question) for each year, with the 3000 reg fee on top of that.

You could look into the Back to Education Allowance for a potential help with financing returning to college in the future. You'll have to be unemployed and on social welfare for 9 months prior to returning to college to qualify though, so it shouldn't be a route you 'choose' but rather one to keep in the back of your head if you found yourself unemployed for a long period.

If you know for sure you don't want to finish your current course, drop out asap. The longer you stay in a course, the more you're costing yourself in the future as you 'use up' your free fees opportunity. That said, you should also think carefully about whether or not dropping out is worth it. If you're half-way (maybe more?) through the course already, finishing it and getting the qualification could be more worth your time than dropping out. Not an easy choice at all but best of luck with it all!

Advertisement