Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker Recommendation

• 02-06-2015 7:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

I've 3 dates lined up playing acoustic covers with a friend and need to invest in a budget set of speakers that won't break the bank, but still give a high-quality output.

We already have a mixer, and a Thomann T-Amp E-400, so the speakers would have to suit this power amp of course. I'm just looking for recommendations if you've recently bought speakers in about the €200-400 range.

The pub we are playing in isn't huge, maybe 100 people on a busy night. Any advice would be really sound, as this is our first time buying gear!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dave1978

The best thing I reckon you could do is get in touch with thomann and tell them what youre looking for and ask them to recommend something. I got a full pa system off them last year, cant be beaten on price, simple as that.
    I emailed them and they got back to me within a day with exactly what I was looking for. But if your budget is 200 to 400 quid, you should be able to get a set of Behringers. Thomann also do an own brand range which Ive used in a rehearsal studio we use and they're fine.
    Email thomann, tell them what you have and that you want a set of speakers compatible with the desk. Hopefully you have enough time before you're gigs to get them shipped over.
    If you have 400, then spend 400. Rule of thumb buying gear, always get the best you can afford. Sounds obvious but you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Fahertys

Would try and stay away from behringher and thomann stuff as much as possible. It's just cheap muck. Having said that, you probably won't be able to get much else with a budget like that. I'd save up more and pickup something of better quality like EV sx300 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Fahertys

Good bargains can be got on adverts.ie etc. make sure gear isn't abused and working perfectly if your buying

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dave1978

With all due respect to The Fahertys, your budget won't allow EV300's. That was the point of your post I think. I'd love a set of EV300's, but the reality is you work with the budget you have. Anyway, youre trying to mic up an acoustic duo not a band, you dont need EV's or anything like it.
    My Behringer Eurolives are excellent, Ive been using them for 2 years for a 3 piece acoustic band (2 guitars, banjo, singer), playing anything from small pubs to ballroom size bars, and theyre great, absolutely no complaints. In fact Im using them tonight for a hotel gig and Im not worried at all that they wont do the job, because Ive used them about 100 times since I got them. Theyre fine.
    I wouldnt use them for a full electric band, but thats not what Im using them for.
    If your budget is 400, get 2 speakers as close to 200 quid apiece as you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Would try and stay away from behringher and thomann stuff as much as possible. It's just cheap muck. Having said that, you probably won't be able to get much else with a budget like that. I'd save up more and pickup something of better quality like EV sx300 etc.

I've used Thomann gear for the last 4 years and it has never let me down once. I haven't got the cash for EV sx300, that's why I put down a budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

Thanks for this thread. I'm looking for 2 speakers with stands, a desk and lights for a 2 piece acoustic duo (on a very limited budget +- 600 Euro)).

Any advice is welcome. :-)

Advertisement