Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 questions re : sound/picture quality

• 02-06-2015 8:38am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I picked up a megadrive 1 , which as I understand does not do stereo through the av port.what's the best +easiest) way to pipe the stereo sound through the TV, or is there any point ?
    Next up, I'm looking into picking up a Saturn. Anything I need to look out for ? Will the pal Saturn display rgb 60hz out of the box ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

For the Meg, there are custom built RGB Scart cables you can buy that source the audio form the headphone jack which gives you the proper stereo through the tv.

For the Saturn, it'll do RGB out of the box provided you have an RGB cable for it. It'll be hardware locked to 50Hz though, requiring a physical mod to allow a 60Hz signal

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

So an american Saturn and swap the internal PSU ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

horgan_p wrote: »
    So an american Saturn and swap the internal PSU ??

No need to do that, you can convert a PAL saturn to 60 Hz. Really there's only a few consoles you should be getting the US/JAP version of, the N64 and 3DO being the only two off the top of my head that can't be modded to 60Hz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No need to do that, you can convert a PAL saturn to 60 Hz. Really there's only a few consoles you should be getting the US/JAP version of, the N64 and 3DO being the only two off the top of my head that can't be modded to 60Hz.

The PlayStation as well. Much to the detriment of my massive 50hz collection :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Better off with a Jap 3DO so you have 100 percent compatibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    The PlayStation as well. Much to the detriment of my massive 50hz collection :(

Well in the case of the PS1 it's the games that are locked to 50Hz so in other words never buy PAL playstation games unless they are PAL exclusive. It's the same with PS2 with a lot of PAL games not having NTSC 60Hz, most notoriously the Square Enix games and Persona 3 and 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Retro Conputer Shack do a very nice RGB SCART cable for the MD1.

Right angled audio jack, gold plated connectors and its labelled at each end too.

Well worth the extra 60p over the console goods cable imo.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sega-Mega-Drive-High-Quality-GOLD-PLATED-RGB-Scart-TV-Lead-Video-Cable-STEREO-/260926939448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cc0752138

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

^ some of the scarts I've got from consolegoods have been disappointing in terms of build quality, so the above is prob worth a punt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

RF all the way baby....

only kidding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

Really there's only a few consoles you should be getting the US/JAP version of, the N64 and 3DO being the only two off the top of my head that can't be modded to 60Hz.

PAL N64's can definitely display 60hz with NTSC games though, albeit on a flash cart.

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    PAL N64's can definitely display 60hz with NTSC games though, albeit on a flash cart.

Really? I thought they slowed the games down to 50Hz and displayed them at 60Hz like a PAL SNES or Megadrive does with import games?

Still though better off with the NTSC machine since it supports s-video out of the box and most can be modded to RGB.

NES too. The CPU is actually clocked slower in the PAL version.

True but from reading up on it I think Relikk might be right.

Advertisement