Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"They can't even grow potatoes!..."

• 02-06-2015 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭

Nice to see racism in Australia alive and well:

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/australian-commentator-slams-irish-as-a-people-who-cant-grow-potatoes-during-samesex-marriage-debate-31271623.html

The guy was quizzed about allowing same-sex marriages in Oz and as a reaction this guy comes out with some beautiful ways to describe the Irish.
    The guy should be ashamed that if us "potato people" can decide to be more tolerant/equal to all members of the public then maybe a country the size of Australia in the arse end of nowhere can follow suit.
    I for one am proud of what we have achieved and that it was the public that decided our own fate and not 10 ministers in a locked room like in the other countries which approved SSM.
    Idiot.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Australian's, they be Irish too if their grandparents weren't convicts...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

In a slagging match between an Oz and a Paddy, its be a great line. Bit ridiculous as a point against SSM via the Irish. Dam good line though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

coming from a man who can't spell his name properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

"they can’t verbalise the difference between tree and the number three".

Ya because the Australians are masters of the English language apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

Ya call that a knife... THIS is a knife!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I dont think he knows what verbalise means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I'd say most Australians haven't been to Ireland. They get their Irish perspective from second generation 'POMs'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Well that's my mind made up on an Aussi vacation!

Seriously does he even realise how that's seen abroad and not just by Irish people either! It's just nasty xenophobia!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Bigots will be bigots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

“I love the Irish… but these are people who can’t grow potatoes,” he said while discussing the issue on Sky News.

Someone once said disregard everything someone said before the word "but".

Fcuk him anyway.

it's not just the Irish who get it. A few years ago group of French tourists were told to "speak English or die" on a bus in Australia and literally bullied off and threatened.

The result was incredibly bad PR for Australia in France as the whole thing was caught on a smartphone camera

This was what went out on all the French news channels and got a nearly full day of debate!

http://youtu.be/9oxVlP4pYc0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Patient: "Was I prought to the hospital to die?"
    Oz Doc: "No mate, you were brought in yesterdie"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This is the same guy who said that Julia Hillard should be kicked to death a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Planted a row of potaetoes last year...disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Anyone else see the irony in a thread full of negative comments generalising about the xenophobia / bigotry of Australians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Well that's my mind made up on an Aussi vacation!

Seriously does he even realise how that's seen abroad and not just by Irish people either! It's just nasty xenophobia!

Mine too.

I'm amazed though that he's a "former advisor to the LIBERAL party.
    , Grahame Morris, a former advisor to the ruling Liberal party
    What sort of Liberal party is that? The Facist Liberals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

SpaceTime wrote: »
    nasty xenophobia!

Xenophobia is the closest australia comes to having a culture, they must cherish and protect it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

If you're going to base your reasoning for not going on a trip of a lifetime to Australia on this man's view of our country you're a bigger idiot than they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ya call that a knife... THIS is a knife!

that's not a knife, it's a spoon

Mine too.

I'm amazed though that he's a "former advisor to the LIBERAL party. What sort of Liberal party is that? The Facist Liberals?

The liberal about xenophobia party obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I gotta admit, I just found that funny. If his argument against SSM is that the way was paved for their potential referendum by people who etc etc, then his argument is pretty thin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

He's right about the tree/three thing, though. Does my head in.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Bullfrogs? That's a silly name. I'd have called them chazzwazzers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Ah, it's Australia, racism is a national passtime for that lot :p

Here, laugh at some Australians:

The sad thing is many Australians share his opinion.

And where are you basing this from? Have experienced this minimally in the four years I've been here, having travelled a large amount of the country meeting a variety of Australians.

The only real consistent thing I've found here is the 'my great great grandparent was from Ireland' story.

Ireland take a bit of pride in the fact that we're pissing off all the right people. The Westboro Baptist Chruch, Right wing Aussis, the Vatican, probably Putin etc etc

I'm off to stick some tricolours and pride flags in a shamrock garnished spud and I'll be mispronouncing Three with a bit of gusto!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

that's not a knife, it's a spoon

Ah, I see you've played knifey spoony before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

What a bs rant, the guy's obviously got deeper issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

An acquaintance once told me that a nickname that some aussies have for the Irish is :

Potato N*gg*rs (I mean no offence to anyone with this)

I wonder if others can corroborate if this is true or not ?

When you have spent time there and then having to deal with their diaspora that has settled in the motherland it becomes clear.

I am sure they are not all like that, but sadly the majority I have dealt with via my line of work are.

Well that's a bit different. I thought we were discussing the generalisation that the majority of Australians agree with this mans comments about Ireland and the Irish. Not about the indigoneous population.

Links234 wrote: »
    Ah, it's Australia, racism is a national passtime for that lot :p

Here, laugh at some Australians:

Fook it that was funny !

• Advertisement

blinding wrote: »
    An acquaintance once told me that a nickname that some aussies have for the Irish is :

Wow have never heard that one before but I'm sure someone has said it. Even the roughest rednecks I've worked with have never said anything remotely close to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

“..these are people who can’t grow potatoes,
    they’ve got a mutant lawn weed as their national symbol
    they can’t verbalise the difference between tree and the number three..."
    He has a point though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

“I love the Irish… but these are people who can’t grow potatoes,” he said while discussing the issue on Sky News.

Jesus IT WAS JUST THAT ONE TIME!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Hey Grahame Morris,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Wasn't there an Aussie government advisor on the news recently saying that climate change was a UN hoax designed to establish a new world order... Yeah, let's just let them off. Not the full shilling like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

These bloody things are everywhere. They're in the lift, in the lorry, in the bond wizard, and all over the malonga gilderchuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sky King wrote: »
    Anyone else see the irony in a thread full of negative comments generalising about the xenophobia / bigotry of Australians?

Relax and stick another shrimp on the barbie.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

This guy's just an idiot.

I doubt he speaks for all Australians....just the low-iq ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

they’ve got a mutant lawn weed as their national symbol

Never knew the Harp was a lawn weed. Of course the Aussies are famous for their botanical knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Egginacup wrote: »
    This guy's just an idiot.

I doubt he speaks for all Australians....just the low-iq ones.

Mr. Simpson, shush! Disparaging the boot is a bootable offense!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

blinding wrote: »

Dunno if it's an Aussie insult or not, but yeah, I've heard of potato n*ggers and white n*ggers relating to Irish people.

Samaris wrote: »
    Dunno if it's an Aussie insult or not, but yeah, I've heard of potato n*ggers and white n*ggers relating to Irish people.
    Kinda of forgot about the "white n*ggers" one myself. I am getting "careless" as I get older.

Does Elvis Costello have something about that in a song?

It was quite amusing how the French incident went down on some French media outlets though.
    If there's one country that can analyse something to death and academically critique, it's France!

There were debates about whether French culture was becoming similar to this horrific Australian incident and what France could do to avoid becoming an uncultured place like Australia and the odd in depth analysis of how Australian xenophobia may have come about ... Perhaps a sense of inadequacy due to their colonial past as a penal colony and so on...

If you were Aussi and understood French .. Ouch!

France is *far* from perfect itself but they will openly admit that. It was very much used as an illustration of how minorities in France itself might feel under pressure from racism.

What annoys me about the attitude coming across from Australian media is that there's a sort of glorification of ignorance going on.

If someone said something like that on Sky News UK they'd be shredded alive by the British press this morning. That's unlikely in Australia.

If there are any Aussis or Irish in oz reading this maybe they might link where this has been critiqued by other Australian media? I'd like to see both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

He's right, I haven't a clue how to grow potatoes

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Samaris wrote: »

Damn naggers. I hate them too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement