Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VDSL enabled Cabinet in village - but not available to me

Options
  • 02-06-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,

I hope someone from Eircom can help me out with a few questions.. Firstly the service I currently receive is shockingly poor, I'm lucky to see my router syncs at 2048Kbps/256Kbps and at that I'm lucky if the actual available bandwidth as shown by irishisptest and speedtest gets any higher than 1meg down and 150K up..

Where I live there is a VDSL cabinet that is enabled as one side of the village appears to be able to receive eFibre, but my side (the newer side) is showing as currently unavailable when I test the line... So can someone tell me firstly if I am connected directly to an exchange or some other cabinet? I imagine the answer to the next question if no, because from experience divisions in Eircom do not share information or Customer Service just can't give an honest answer. Question is; can you tell me when eFibre will be available or if it will ever be available (I can PM phone number).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi,

I hope someone from Eircom can help me out with a few questions.. Firstly the service I currently receive is shockingly poor, I'm lucky to see my router syncs at 2048Kbps/256Kbps and at that I'm lucky if the actual available bandwidth as shown by irishisptest and speedtest gets any higher than 1meg down and 150K up..

Where I live there is a VDSL cabinet that is enabled as one side of the village appears to be able to receive eFibre, but my side (the newer side) is showing as currently unavailable when I test the line... So can someone tell me firstly if I am connected directly to an exchange or some other cabinet? I imagine the answer to the next question if no, because from experience divisions in Eircom do not share information or Customer Service just can't give an honest answer. Question is; can you tell me when eFibre will be available or if it will ever be available (I can PM phone number).
    Hi chrislynch8

If you would like to PM me your land line number I will be happy to look in to this for you further

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭chrislynch8

Hi,

Hi chrislynch8

If you would like to PM me your land line number I will be happy to look in to this for you further

Cheers
    Al
    PM Sent, thanks

Hey Alan,

Any update?

Regards,
    Chris

Hey Alan,

Any update?

Regards,
    Chris
    Thanks for your PM chrislynch8

Having looked in to this I can see that your line is directly fed from the exchange rather that a cabinet.

The exchange your line is connected to is unfortunately too far from your line to be able to provide you with eFibre broadband - the max distance a line can be is 2Km but your line is over 3Km away. I do wish I could offer you better news on this but I'm very sorry to say that eircom cannot offer you eFibre broadband. As a result of this I will be unable to offer you an indication of when eircom can offer you eFibre broadband either.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Alan.

Would there be any specific reason why the newer houses which are a stones throw away from the cabinet would have been connected to the exchange that is so far away?

Also can you tell me if I'm still under contract as I'll be looking at cancelling once I sort out a better option.

Thanks
    Chris

• Advertisement

Thanks Alan.

Would there be any specific reason why the newer houses which are a stones throw away from the cabinet would have been connected to the exchange that is so far away?

Also can you tell me if I'm still under contract as I'll be looking at cancelling once I sort out a better option.

Thanks
    Chris
    I'm sorry I can't offer you better news chris

Unfortunately I can't offer reasoning behind eircoms infrastructural decisions. I have checked your contract and it's due to expire on the 6th of October'15

Cheers

Al

Thanks for the info. Have a nice day

Chris

Thanks for the info. Have a nice day

Chris
    You're most welcome chrislynch8

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement