Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roof box, towbar box or car trailer?

• 02-06-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭

I need to get one of the above to take extra luggage for trips, holidays and possibly to go camping.
    The roof boxes seem to be small enough but a lot of people seem to use them.
    I have a towbar on the car and I normally use it to carry my bikes.
    I have been thinking of a car trailer but are these ok going on a ferry?
    Something like a 6 × 4 trailer with mesh sides and possibly a tarpaulin cover on top and down the mesh sides. It would store the bikes and luggage etc plus would also be handy for moving stuff.

Has anyone done the same. I am thinking I could get a new one for in and around 1/1200 eur.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A trailer will cost more on a ferry (they charge by vehicle length) while roofbox and towhitch bike racks do not. I use a roofbox along with a couple of roof bike racks as well as a boot-mounted bike rack to carry 5 plus luggage plus bikes. Looks like I'm driving a hedgehog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What size roof box do you have out of interest? I see some of the big ones go upto 470L capacity and can take upto 70kg. I wonder would they be too long for a saloon car?
    Halfords seem to fit these as well which would be handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Them halfords trailers are useless if you're tempted by one, you can't see them in the mirrors and they bounce like a MoFo, so I wouldn't consider them.

I had a nice Ifor trailer that the previous owner had converted to a box trailer with alu sheet and box section. The alu was riveted to the box with a rubber sealing strip between them. the total height was about 5ft so it was lower than my old hilux surf,it didn't hit the efficiency too bad, and it would tow at 120 steady enough. Had to do the bearings in the wheels, Which is a good thing to keep an eye on with trailers, as you can't hear them grumbling like in a car, and if they fail the wheel will come tearing off down the road.
    Putting Tarps on trailers absolutely rides your fuel efficiency by the extra drag created. In ireland you're limited to 80kmh with one, though it isn't strictly policed, though on the continent you could end up with a hefty fine, and if it is a home made job they mightn't look too kindly on it as trailers are meant to have weight plates and conform with set out standards. I imagine the French police would have a field day if you were spotted driving down the road with a steel yolke with no brakes or wheel arches, and 2 caddy axles welded onto leaf springs.

I'd look on done deal for a good plated and branded trailer as at least spares can be had for them everywhere,I got mine for 1400 off a guy that had food stand, and used it to haul tables, chairs and gazebos behind his van. I had it for 2 years and sold it for 1k. You also need to look at what your car is rated to tow, again something that is generally ignored here, but in other countries it could be an issue that you could run into.

Trailers are also like christmas lights, You can park them up and they'll be perfect, hitch it up 2 weeks later and the handbrake will be stuck on and the dog will have chewed the light plug off it :pac:

I carry my bike on the roof of the car, I'd say I can stick the 2 bike carriers tight enough to each other, and have enough room on the side for a roof box, The trick with roof boxes is to be really efficient at packing, if you are you'll fit the whole earth in them, but it depends on how many bikes and people you're going to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Rem the max legal speed limit for car pulling trailer is 80kph. That might influence your decision but if your car is like a hedgehog you may not be able to go much faster anyway!

I'd be wary of putting bikes on top with height barriers and the drag on the car. Also I would imagine the bike would pick up a lot of dirt and dead flies etc.
    I saw a few trailers on dondeal and the tarpaulins are actually fitted very well, nice and tight. With the trailer sheltered behind the car the drag may not be that much.
    I'd be a bit worried of flying down the motorway and the trailer bouncing around the place.
    I am thinking of getting a kayak or canoe so that is in my thinking too.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Did you consider something like this: http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/roof-bars-boxes-bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/exodus-4-bike-platform-cycle-carrier

I'm thinking of getting a towbar bike carrier myself

I have a Thule 2 bike towbar carrier and it is very solid.
    If I can fit a couple of suitcases and camping stuff into the roof box I might go with that option.

If camping stuff includes a big tent, that can be strapped to the roofbars alongside the box. I use a medium narrow box so that I can mount bikes beside it. You'd do the same with a tent.

I prefer to carry bikes on the roof as they don't affect the car's stance on the road. If they're hanging on the back, they add extra leverage tilting the car. That is, of course, set against extra drag but, at that stage, the car is so loaded up that the drag is irrelevant...

Also, try packing stuff loose (or in soft bags) into the box. Otherwise you lose space 'cos the suitcase corner doesn't fit neatly into the curve of the box.

I think I am leaning towards the roof box.
    I checked out Halfords and I could get the full package needed (Exodus gloss box plus aero bars plus feet and fittings) for 470eur. One thing I noticed is that there are also slide bars. Would these be handy to slide out the roof box and make it easier to load and unload stuff?
    Is the Exodus box a decent brand?
    I am debating whether to go for the black gloss (dearer) or the grey one. The latter might be cooler inside on a hot day.

Can I also ask would the grey or black box be very different in terms of how warm they would get within them in hot weather? You would think the black box would attract more heat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭The Ging and I

Get a van !
    Everything is inside out of view.

Albedo. Presumably the grey should be cooler but who knows how much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I've a black and white saddle on a bike, and if you leave it in the sun for any amount of time there is a huge difference to touch between the black and the white on the saddle. i presume it is more silver than grey, which would probably reflect heat just as good as white

Advertisement