Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental house left in shocking condition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Seriously, how does a home actually get to that condition?
    Hows does one family block every toilet?
    But then again, if you are the sort of person that can do your business in a black sack on the floor of your home then anything is possible.
    This is grotesque.
    The poor kids.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How will the children cope with normality at the likes of school etc if that's how they live at home?

Feel sorry for that landlord, and whoever has to clean that up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Stheno wrote: »
    How will the children cope with normality at the likes of school etc if that's how they live at home?

Feel sorry for that landlord, and whoever has to clean that up

More importantly, how do children stay with parents if that is the squalor they are being brought up in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note Please do not bring social services etc into this thread. The state of the house is an A&P issue, the welfare of the children isn't. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

It takes a long time for a property to get into that level of neglect, presumably the landlord had never inspected it in the time it was rented out - that amount of dirt doesnt accumulate in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MrWalsh wrote: »
    It takes a long time for a property to get into that level of neglect, presumably the landlord had never inspected it in the time it was rented out - that amount of dirt doesnt accumulate in a few months.

That amount of 'dirt' can accumulate in 4 months. Keep in mind- its 2 adults and 3 children. At least one of the children is in nappies- look at the sack of them- that sack alone could represent 2-3 weeks worth of nappies......... As for using black sacks on the floor in lieu of toilets- I want to retch at the thought.

There is no way on earth that a deposit is going to return this property to a habitable state. The landlord *needs* to lodge a PRTB case against the tenants- if only to get what happened on official record.

That amount of 'dirt' can accumulate in 4 months.

From the pics there are cabinets with mould and the sheer build up alone would lead me to believe that this situation has gone on for more than a year. 4 months of neglect wouldnt have such an "accumulated" look IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It's like it's from a horror film. disgusting sub human behaviour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

From the pics there are cabinets with mould and the sheer build up alone would lead me to believe that this situation has gone on for more than a year. 4 months of neglect wouldnt have such an "accumulated" look IMO.

I've no reference point on which to draw (thank Christ)- so I'm not in a position to dispute this with you (not that it really matters).

I've no reference point on which to draw (thank Christ)- so I'm not in a position to dispute this with you (not that it really matters).

I do (unfortunately) and I only mentioned it because from a landlords pov, reasonably regular inspections (once a year even) could prevent this kind of a shock (and expense) when a tenant leaves.

A friend of mine rented a place to people who blocked the ensuite toilet, and rather than call a plumber OR inform the landlord, they moved a wardrobe in front of the ensuite and pretended it didnt exist. People do all kinds of strange things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Jesus, and I think my place is bad with a few unwashed cups plates in the sink, a counter that could do with a wipe and a crisp bag or two not thrown in the bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

A friend of mine rented a place to people who blocked the ensuite toilet, and rather than call a plumber OR inform the landlord, they moved a wardrobe in front of the ensuite and pretended it didnt exist. People do all kinds of strange things.

The mind boggles (and the stomach heaves).

A family member used to run a company maintaining landlord properties, and once hired my sister and I to clean a rental after his cleaners refused to touch a property - desperate students eager for cash etc... They had left the soiled disposable nappies in the bath amongst other things and there were maggots crawling out as we lifted them. I was mostly disgusted but also a little sad that there were people out there who feel that's an acceptable way to live.

Unfortunately this type of behaviour encourages landlords to request massive deposits, both as a protection against damage but also as a filtering mechanism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

This happened to my parents. Now it wasn't as bad as this but it was quite bad. She wouldn't leave the house, we called the prtb and were told to give her the deposit back of 1k. She left. There was then no rent for 4 months another bill 4k and the house had to be totally done up. All the appliances had to be new and we threw out all the furniture and rented it in furnished. The re ovation cost 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

just brings back memories of one of my lovely tennants.

they managed to destroy my former family home in more or less the same manner (grant it without the sh1te on the floor), tore apple trees out of the ground .. it took two long wheelbase sprinter vans full of broken furniture, scrap and rubbish and the guts of €5000 to get it ready for the next tenant. This all on top of the tenants looking for me to pay them a couple of grand to get out of the house as they need a deposit on a caravan before they would leave.

hense I am no longer in the rental game .. tenants can do too much damage without any recourse ..

If only the PRTB could use the PPS numbers to garner damages from peoples social welfare / wages to ensure that all the risk isn't on the one side of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

whippet wrote: »
    If only the PRTB could use the PPS numbers to garner damages from peoples social welfare / wages to ensure that all the risk isn't on the one side of the deal.
    It could be even easier (though your suggestion is sound). If we had a reliable way to identify delinquent landlords and tenants then that's all you need as the first house a person ruins or the first deposit a landlord unfairly withholds will be their last as they become easily identifiable pariahs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

murphaph wrote: »
    It could be even easier (though your suggestion is sound). If we had a reliable way to identify delinquent landlords and tenants then that's all you need as the first house a person ruins or the first deposit a landlord unfairly withholds will be their last as they become easily identifiable pariahs.
    Data protection doesn't allow absurdly. Tenants and landlords should both be registered with PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I've seen this before when the tenants didn't feel like paying bin charges. In reality I doubt this landlord had costs close to 5k, its superficial damage. All that could be cleaned, no real damage to the furniture, appliances or walls from what I can see in the pictures. 1k for a proper deep clean and waste removal, 200 for a un-block of the toilets(who do people flush nappies?) and 400 for a quick paint job on the walls of the house.

You can get far worse than this, I have seen full on structural damage due to neglect and it can happen in a short space of time especially where water is concerned. I think the no recourse from anything social welfare related really starts to hit home with any long term landlords after a while. Although I am aware of 1 instance of a corporate let with 35k in damages that got interesting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

eugh I didn't get past the 1st paragraph.
    I had my house wrecked my tenants but at least it was clean:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I've seen this before when the tenants didn't feel like paying bin charges. In reality I doubt this landlord had costs close to 5k, its superficial damage. All that could be cleaned, no real damage to the furniture, appliances or walls from what I can see in the pictures. 1k for a proper deep clean and waste removal, 200 for a un-block of the toilets(who do people flush nappies?) and 400 for a quick paint job on the walls of the house.

You can get far worse than this, I have seen full on structural damage due to neglect and it can happen in a short space of time especially where water is concerned. I think the no recourse from anything social welfare related really starts to hit home with any long term landlords after a while. Although I am aware of 1 instance of a corporate let with 35k in damages that got interesting.

400 euro to paint the house... Is this the 1970's. And painting isnt a quick job if your doing it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Please. The photos don't show the whole house. Do you think these animals spared the soft furnishings from their filth? New sofa, new curtains and blinds, new carpets presumably. Quite likely any laminate or wood flooring was water (best case!) damaged as well. 5k is probably conservative I reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Please. The photos don't show the whole house. Do you think these animals spared the soft furnishings from their filth? New sofa, new curtains and blinds, new carpets presumably. Quite likely any laminate or wood flooring was water (best case!) damaged as well. 5k is probably conservative I reckon!

Scum...it's the poor kids I feel sorry for, insurance I hope covers the ll

400 euro to paint the house... Is this the 1970's. And painting isnt a quick job if your doing it yourself

There are two ways to paint a rental house, emphasis on the rental part. The right way and the way everybody else does it.

The first and most important thing to realize is that a rental house is empty. There are a few large items of furniture and nothing else. You also don't need to Taj Mahal finish on the bloody thing.

Secondly, the painter should have rollers, sleeves and buy their filler and masking, bought from trade and in bulk. You're paying for paint, in large quantities at simple colors and labour.

Third is that the more money you put into something as simple and regular as painting a rental property is significant on profit margins. Even in Dublin, a quoted paint job could be close to 12% of gross yearly Revenue. In rural areas it can be much much higher.

The right way is to clear the first room, move anything you can out. Whip out quick dry filler and put 1 swipe across any large obvious marks. Mask the light switches, sockets and glossing(if its good). Put decent canvas drop sheets down(none of your plastic crap) and put a thick layer of quick drying white emulsion on the ceiling and top of the walls with the roller. Loads of paint on the roller, no paint tray. Dip it into the bucket and don't be afraid of doing that. Get it right into those corners, don't be worried about getting it on the wall.Then clear the second room, same deal as above.

Head back into the first room, buzz the filler with a sand block, hit the walls with the roller quickly. Same as above with the roller and paint application. Get it right into those corners, door frames, skirting boards. The only thing your edging with a brush is where the ceiling hits the walls. The gloss/windows will either be masked with thick masking tape(not being painted) or you get paint on them. The idea is to cover the old paint to the gloss, not get a line. The masking tape or gloss roller does that.

Edging is done with a lot of paint on a big thick 3 inch brush, none of this pissy 1cm crap. Rolling is done with a high quality thick pile, lots of paint. Don't care about being neat, that's what the drop sheets are for. The colours are white and magnolia, 10 liter trade drums of something half decent(macPhersons for example). They sell reasonably cheap, spread well and are usually stacked by the door on offer. Large Tubs of Woodies/B&Q paint are a waste of time and are usually only marginally cheaper than a quality alternative bought in bulk.

If the gloss has to be redone(it can usually be washed to a good finish surprising to a fair number of people). Glossing is done using a mini gloss roller for 95% of it, large roller for a large door surface with a gloss pile if needed. Quick buzz with some sandpaper, strip of cardboard on the floor, even quick coat with the roller. Trays in this case. Let the roller do the work. If you're using a brush for more than deep curves and recesses, you're probably doing it wrong.

A normal sized double room should take about an hour of your time in total, give or take. Most of that is glossing and or masking/repairing. A 3 bed semi, 2 days to paint. The guy doing it in reality is being paid about 80 quid a day, maybe a little more these days if he speaks decent English. I'm a bit out of buying materials, but cost shouldn't exceed 70-80 if you're not heading into woodies and picking up their latest 2 liter can of designer Dulux eggshell pastel with a hint of something they made up, which 99.9% of people couldn't distinguish from magnolia if their arse depended on it.

If your reasonable and clear in what you want which is a quick paint job without the bells and whistles, the house is empty and you can present the possibility of repeat business those prices are more than achievable.

This was one of the trades I was expected to be competent in and this was the process for me to do a house on my own. Prices and timescales were adjusted for the size of the house and the type of let, eg a 4-5k a month corporate let would get a vastly different treatment with expanded colors, coats of paint and more attention paid to glossing/edging/repair work. But not much more then you would think.

Look at the top of the table, the chairs, the work counters, the actual fridge in the pictures that you can see. No damage, actually reasonably clean(at least the table/counter). The stove is contentious but since its a glass top, it can be cleaned. Some serious cleaning solution on it for a hour or two is what it needs and a bit of elbow grease. I've never done one that bad but my experience is that their isn't as much adhesion to the glass as your think.

Sofa should be faux leather, not cloth. Carpets in a rental house?

What I'm trying to say is that if those are the cherry picked pictures showing the worst of the damage, it can't actually be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Look at the top of the table, the chairs, the work counters, the actual fridge in the pictures that you can see. No damage, actually reasonably clean(at least the table/counter). The stove is contentious but since its a glass top, it can be cleaned. Some serious cleaning solution on it for a hour or two is what it needs and a bit of elbow grease. I've never done one that bad but my experience is that their isn't as much adhesion to the glass as your think.

Sofa should be faux leather, not cloth. Carpets in a rental house?

What I'm trying to say is that if those are the cherry picked pictures showing the worst of the damage, it can't actually be that bad.
    If theres sh1t walked into the floor covering it might have to all come up, theres no way the carpets escaped unscathed...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The FBI/US unversities have sites for monitoring decomposing bodies, they could use someplace like this.

they managed to destroy my former family home in more or less the same manner (grant it without the sh1te on the floor), tore apple trees out of the ground .. it took two long wheelbase sprinter vans full of broken furniture, scrap and rubbish and the guts of €5000 to get it ready for the next tenant. This all on top of the tenants looking for me to pay them a couple of grand to get out of the house as they need a deposit on a caravan before they would leave.

hense I am no longer in the rental game .. tenants can do too much damage without any recourse ..

This is why there is a necessity for some kind of database maintained by an independent third party.
    Normally it is mooted to protect tenants, but it could also be used to
    protect landlords as in this type of case.

And I don't care about bloody data protection.
    How come it can work with financial information and credit rating ?

A tenant should be asked to have their data released in the event of looking for rental property.
    And because the landlord is providing a business they should have no problem having their service rated.

The thing is because the councils don't really provide social housing where will these people end up.

The longer I live the sadder I find the human race.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

That's pretty horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

How the hell could anybody live like that! the occupants must have no sense of smell. sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

Coming from a family of builders, some of the stories I have heard are shocking
    Feel really sorry for the Landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I can't sit down and eat my breakfast in the morning unless downstairs is clean and tidied. How could anybody live like that :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

..... they need a deposit on a caravan before they would leave.......

That is terrible but to be honest with you man, my sympathy is a bit limited. If they were moving on to a caravan then its pretty certain they are, er, "members of a certain community" and, rights and wrongs of it aside, in most cases they can be identified a mile off. You should have been on your game and vetted them properly.

My sister rents out a few places and she is rigorous in vetting tenants. She only rents to actual professionals who have a bit of responsibility. She makes this quite clear and she won't touch those in manual occupations let alone RA tenants. Of course there are exceptions but in general she would be of the opinion that those from a lower socioeconomic stratum have a greater tendency to antisocial behaviour of all types.

Advertisement