Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Solo Holiday?

• 02-06-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

Due to circumstance, I'll be going away solo this year for a holiday which is a first. Looking for an idiots guide, or any advice as to where to go, best place to book, etc.

Budget is probably maximum of 1000 + expenses there. Preferably less but I can stretch.

Reading the cruise thread was interesting, so if anyone has advice on that I'm all ears.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

depends what you want.

I've wandered about on my own in the likes of Paris, Prague, Vienna, Berlin, Brussels, London, went for weekends in the Alps and its pretty easy to just play it by ear. Theres no end of sights to see on the continent and not having someone with you can be an advantage as you get to do everything at your own pace.

The single room thing is a pain, but if on a budget you can try hostels and you can always get lucky with a more old style hotel that has some smaller single occupation only rooms. Smaller villages will often have b + bs (often called "pensions") with single rooms for very little.
    Or simply focus on east europe and then prices can be low (and also surprisingly high for luxury hotels)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I traveled with Exodus.co.uk twice to Egypt and Peru on my ownsome.

They are very good, pricey but worth it. You travel in groups of 10-15- all went well and shagged women in the group on both trips..happy days...:D

But yeah, it depends on what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I traveled with Exodus.co.uk twice to Egypt and Peru on my ownsome.

They are very good, pricey but worth it. You travel in groups of 10-15- all went well and shagged women in the group on both trips..happy days...:D

But yeah, it depends on what you want.

Should have specified what I want, alright!

I guess a group trip would be nice, if only because I'd worry about feeling a bit odd being on my own for the trip.

Sun would be good anyways. Chilled out sun holiday, with time for reading, listening to music, and so on.

And like I said, I'm considering a cruise as I've never gone on one, so it'd be different.

I know the single supplement is a pain, but I don't think I want to do the hostel thing. I'd prefer to pay more and have my own space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Should have specified what I want, alright!

I guess a group trip would be nice, if only because I'd worry about feeling a bit odd being on my own for the trip.

Sun would be good anyways. Chilled out sun holiday, with time for reading, listening to music, and so on.

And like I said, I'm considering a cruise as I've never gone on one, so it'd be different.

I know the single supplement is a pain, but I don't think I want to do the hostel thing. I'd prefer to pay more and have my own space.

I would worry about cruises. I like the idea but you will be amongst coffin dodgers and honeymooners.

When I traveled on my own it was no problem. In fact, I wasnt the only one on my own and the groups were made of English and SA mostly. Very friendly and there was never once any feeling like a spare prick.

The first time I roomed with another strange guy (from Belfast) so I wouldnt feel out of the loop. He was grand but would have preferred my own space (for the ladies also..:D) so the next year I roomed alone. No problem whatsoever and no feeling out of the loop. Yeah I paid the single supplement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement