Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

point me to articles in irish newspaper re alieen reed's 4th place in london

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    "careful what you wish for"

I think tri has passed that point some 10 years ago in irleand maybe 5 years ago . the next step is now to make categories that people of same abilites can race each other.( and in a way ti took the first step towrads this ( now i hope nobody boast iam a cat 1 athlete to their friends but its a right step in the right direction to appreciate quality)
    and very imprtantly this misconception that longer is more achievement needs to go . It needs to be qulity that is appreciated in a sport regardless the distance.
    I guess you can not expect that people from outside take a charity sport serious if the triathletes themselves dont understand what performace is and still think an 15 hour ironman is more impressive and than a 2.30 oly distance.

Are you proposing Clydesdale and Athena categories?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney wrote: »
    Are you proposing Clydesdale and Athena categories?

have to say part of my love of triathlon died a little the first time i read about the clydesdale category

even more so as the bit i read was some guy asking how he could put on temporary weight to get over the limit for the weigh in but drop it in time for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

mossym wrote: »
    have to say part of my love of triathlon died a little the first time i read about the clydesdale category

even more so as the bit i read was some guy asking how he could put on temporary weight to get over the limit for the weigh in but drop it in time for the race.

Rest floats for the IM swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Check out page 47 of the Indo Pete massive spread on Reid- they must have heard you were giving out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

catweazle wrote: »
    Check out page 47 of the Indo Pete massive spread on Reid- they must have heard you were giving out :D

they did actually as i told them and they agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I don't see the issue with weight classes - it has a huge impact on speed (4s per kilo per kilometre is the formula I keep repeating in my head when trying to strengthen my resolve), so there's at least the basis of a case for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

some guy asking how he could put on temporary weight to get over the limit for the weigh in but drop it in time for the race.

A weigh in for tri?

Edit caught it 2nd time round, sorry for the clydesdale cat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I don't see the issue with weight classes - it has a huge impact on speed (4s per kilo per kilometre is the formula I keep repeating in my head when trying to strengthen my resolve), so there's at least the basis of a case for it.

Completely off topic but where do you draw the line? I'm only 5''8, in theory I'll never be as fast a swimmer as someone 6'6 with a huge wingspan and flippers for feet, can I have my own category too?

joey100 wrote: »
    Completely off topic but where do you draw the line? I'm only 5''8, in theory I'll never be as fast a swimmer as someone 6'6 with a huge wingspan and flippers for feet, can I have my own category too?

Everyone would be a winner!! :D

If you don't win the race, you might win your AG, if you don't win that you always have your weight division which could be further subdivided in- Cat 1 in lbs, Cat 2 in Stone & Cat 3 in kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

they did actually as i told them and they agreed.

Kudos for following through on that Peter.

• Advertisement

so does being unfit. should we have separate classes for those too lazy to train as well?

i could lose a few more lbs as well, and could/(should) go faster if i did, but the solution is to lose weight. not to lower the bar for those who can't or won't.

gender/age classes are there to level the playing field for aspects no-one can do anything about, they make sense.

Sex and age groups - people cannot change their age, and despite what the dailymail says people cannot change their sex.

People can change their weight.
    Though it varies, typically Athenas are women weighing more than 150 pounds and Clydesdales are men over 200 pounds.

Lets be generous and say the 200lb person is 6 foot. Thats a BMI whack bang in the middle of overweight (and BMI *is* valid here, lets be honest the person is not a highly trained athlete).

Bring the height down to more likely and the weight up and you get an obese person.

Sport, for amateurs, is meant to be largely about health benefits. Obesity is not healthy and should we be promoted obesity? Calming its okay? I'm not in favour of fat shaming but nor should we pretend that being fat is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

I dunno, sometimes methinks Triathlon is just silly. People are of all shapes and sizes, and there should be no obligation on a sport to change to suit everyone (or should there?).

Athletics doesn't create categories for over 25 people with short legs etc.. Rugby doesn't suit most runners or triathletes. Cycling eschews those with swimmer physiques.

AG competition is just a made up concept in this sport to pander to us masses outside the elite ranks. Making yet more categories based on morphology is just nonsense, unless it creates more gadgets to buy :D The Athena/Clydesdale stuff makes less sense when you consider that 2/3 of the sports are non load bearing. Give some "Clydesdales" a flat bike course and they'll murder the rest of us..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    That's nonsense.

There are plenty of people competing in triathlons here who would be very interested. And also a lot of runners/ cyclists/ swimmers.

And then there is the issue of chicken and egg: media coverage is necessary to generate public interest.

Look at all the fuss over the womens rugby team; and yet they still get a small number at their games.

I would put it to you that there is not a single Womens Gaelic footballer or rugby player in the country that could compare with Aileen Reid in terms of the level she has achieved as an athlete.
    Would plenty of people really be very interested in exploits of the international athletes? To be perfectly honest I don't see it,
    Women's rugby/Gaelic football/Camogie teams are very very different from Aileen in relation to media back up/coverage from their associations etc.
    There is small enough numbers at some women's national rugby team games but that doesn't mean coverage shouldn't be given.
    And your last sentence cant be proved. How do you quantify exactly which sportswomen has achieved more? What do you use to say who has done more....
    as for minority sports its dosnt really get more minority sport than GAA and likely the last sport ever to be considert to become an olympic sport.
    :rolleyes: GAA a minority sport. In terms of Irish Sport GAA,Gaelic Football, wins across virtually every area - playing numbers, no. of spectators, tv viewing figures

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

AKW wrote: »
    Everyone would be a winner!! :D

If you don't win the race, you might win your AG, if you don't win that you always have your weight division which could be further subdivided in- Cat 1 in lbs, Cat 2 in Stone & Cat 3 in kg

Entry costs for a triathlon reach 500 euro! Cause cited is the sheer number of prizes to be awarded in each AG to weight, height and swimmer (from childhood/adult onset) categories. TI Awards night becomes TI Awards weekend, dozens presumed dead (cause: boredom)

:rolleyes: GAA a minority sport. In terms of Irish Sport GAA,Gaelic Football, wins across virtually every area - playing numbers, no. of spectators, tv viewing figures

To back this up a little.

My kids GAA club (note they are in athletics club, swimming club and GAA - note no triathlon.........) has over 3000 active members. Not fatties that join with the intention of playing a match but never get around to training. So *one* small club has over 1/3 of TIs membership. But GAA is the minority sport.......

There are over 2500 GAA clubs in Ireland, now some will be small rural ones but lots will be big clubs.

These three Dublin clubs alone combined have more members than TI
    * Whitehall Colmcille
    * St. Vincents
    * Na Fianna

Now I do think more coverage to minority sports would be nice. I say this as a fan of the minority sports (cycling and triathlon). Do I expect to ever see it? No - because most people do not like or enjoy these sports.

won't somebody think of dandi biyo?

From GAA.ie

"Over 500,000 people were registered on the system in 2014"

6,300,000 on the island of Ireland.
    So almost 1 in 12 is a member of the GAA.

Are we finished yet with the "minority sport" business? Should be clear now why there is feck all tri in the news, and so much GAA.

Out of curiousity how many know Aileen Reid's Maiden name, that she raced under for years?

DON'T answer just a question, maybe +1 or thank if you know for now (without googling)

Out of curiousity how many know Aileen Reid's Maiden name, that she raced under for years?

DON'T answer just a question, maybe +1 or thank if you know for now (without googling)

only remember cause i followed her on twitter before she changed it and i always mixed her up the scottish triathlete of the same surname, even though they raced different distances

• Advertisement

+1 I knew, but I'm one of the minority that follows the sport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    From GAA.ie

"Over 500,000 people were registered on the system in 2014"

6,300,000 on the island of Ireland.
    So almost 1 in 12 is a member of the GAA.

Are we finished yet with the "minority sport" business? Should be clear now why there is feck all tri in the news, and so much GAA.

it is certainly not a minorty sport in ireland, but outside ireland it dosnt exist ( apart from some pockets in london)
    i think you still fail to see what the argument is here.
    i want world class sport reported there is no real world class in Gaa as only played in 1 country
    lets face it overall the level of gaa is about irish soccer league ... with some OUtStANDING atheltes that could make it in many sports i dodnt really know an irish person that follows an irish soccer you all have english teams )
    i look at it at perofmance level not at participation. i have no problem with Gaa coverage I dont read it.( and i also see that gaa does great yout work ) I have a problem when world class perfomances are not reported.
    quality is not always whats most popular and easy to comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

it is certainly not a minorty sport in ireland, but outside ireland it dosnt exist ( apart from some pockets in london)
    i want world class sport reported there is no real world class in Gaa as only played in 1 country
    lets face it overall the level of gaa is about irish soccer league ... with some OUtStANDING atheltes that could make it in many sports i dodnt really know an irish person that follows an irish soccer you all have english teams )
    i look at it at perofmance level not at participation. i have no problem with Gaa coverage I dont read it.( and i also see that gaa does great yout work ) I have a problem when world class perfomances are not reported.
    Peter the title of this thread is about articles about tri in newspapers in Ireland so GAA not being played internationally is irrelevant. You are being very ignorant and arrogant dismissing the top athletes etc in GAA simply because its only really played here in Ireland.
    Performance levels are at a high level. Just look at how the amateur athetes in GAA do against pro athletes of Australian Rules as an example etc etc

You could easily dismiss almost the entire triathlon world as non-world-class by arguing that financial barriers ensure that virtually zero East Africans get the chance to compete.

so does being unfit. should we have separate classes for those too lazy to train as well?

i could lose a few more lbs as well, and could/(should) go faster if i did, but the solution is to lose weight. not to lower the bar for those who can't or won't.

gender/age classes are there to level the playing field for aspects no-one can do anything about, they make sense.

Fair point, I'd failed to consider weight as a controllable variable.

You could easily dismiss almost the entire triathlon world as non-world-class by arguing that financial barriers ensure that virtually zero East Africans get the chance to compete.

I remember reading this.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/02/features/the-great-debate-when-will-kenya-discover-triathlon_43016

There are some very strange flaws in that article. Two Kenyans learned to swim in 1998 and didn't do especially well at Ironman Wisconsin, therefore the Kenyans aren't that great; Kenyan body shapes aren't properly suited to triathlon, but Kenyan body shapes aren't any better for distance running than anyone else's; and the frankly ludicrous statement that "at any given time, the most genetically gifted runner in the United States is just as naturally talented as the most talented Kenyan". If that really is the case, then the US is doing a terrible job of helping that runner reach their potential. Overall, it reads like a desperate effort to reassure readers that the reason they're not being thrashed by Kenyan endurance monsters has everything to do with the body type required for success and the prevailing sporting culture, and nothing at all to do with the fact that getting to the front of the pack requires an expenditure that might as well be a lottery win to the average Kenyan who earns a monthly salary that wouldn't stretch to a pair of Asics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

You are being very ignorant and arrogant dismissing the top athletes etc in GAA simply because its only really played here in Ireland.
    Performance levels are at a high level. Just look at how the amateur athetes in GAA do against pro athletes of Australian Rules as an example etc etc

Did you actually read what he said? I thought his comments were very reasonable and I'm a gaa (football) fan. There was no dismissal there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Peter the title of this thread is about articles about tri in newspapers in Ireland so GAA not being played internationally is irrelevant. You are being very ignorant and arrogant dismissing the top athletes etc in GAA simply because its only really played here in Ireland.

I dont think the performance levels are that high. I know a couple of lads and they are fit guys but not amazing by any means. If memory serves me correctly when they put out their best we got destroyed. Physically they are far superior bar one or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

To get back on point, surly the papers will print more stories if there is money in it ie. people are willing to buy the paper to read about Aileen. Thousands buy the papers to read analysis about GAA, Soccer Rugby. Look at the trouble Katie Taylor has getting coverage of her fights and she is hands down No 1 in the world. Boxing only gets a few column inches and thats after all the successes at the Olympics. You can go to the national boxing stadium and watch Olympic medalists but only a handful do and therefore very little coverage.

Advertisement