Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 booting problem

• 02-06-2015 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

I decided to install Win 7 onto a larger, faster SSD and use that as my primary drive from now on. I did this by using an Upgrade Edition disc and installed it from within my current windows installation on a smaller SSD.

At the moment when I start up, the windows boot manager is giving me the option of choosing which windows installation I want to boot into. I was hoping I would only need to disconnect the smaller drive, change the boot order and I'd be able to use this new SSD as my main drive but it seems its not bootable. I've tried the DVD to repair boot issues but it doesn't recognise this new SSD as a windows installation hard drive.......... :confused:

So im assuming this new install depends on the older ssd to start??

Am I screwed? Will this need a re-install again..... :(

Comments

You've probably worked it out by now but I'd say what happened here is that because you ran the setup from your existing version of Windows, it didn't install a new boot loader to the SSD and kept it on the hard disk. In this case removing the hard disk would make the SSD unbootable.

Advertisement