Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freska Downlighters

Options
  • 02-06-2015 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,
    Currently in the middle of a self build and airtightness is of most importance, we are avoiding all downlighters due to airtightness issues with someone in an electrial shop told us that freska downlightners are perfect for airtightness. I have never heard of them so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I never heard of these fitting,
    TBH they look like a fairly popular Chinese made fitting, maybe I'm wrong but once a month someone leaves stuff like this for us to look at, it looks re-branded, its ok stuff some use decent Philips or Osram drivers, others use unknown stuff that i'd stay away from , but i fail to see how they are perfect for air tightness.

Is this based on the fact that its a sealed unit? and that no air gets out between the fitting and the lamp? if so that hardly peculiar to that fitting.

Just note that GU10 lamps are a standard lamp you can change them, how do you change that lamp, do you need to change the whole fitting? will you be able to get one again, the warranty is 2 years.

finally this is a big enough hole. if you are removing insulated thermal board to fit this then it might be air tight but it would be a larger cold spot than a GU10 fitting. about 4 times bigger .

Maybe i have the fitting incorrectly identified, but I'm fairly sure i have two samples of this in work, with two different names on them (both Philips drivers BTW)

I hate recommending the same fittings all the time but have a look at something like this, look around this site

http://gb.auroralighting.com/Products/Indoor-Luminaires/Fire-Rated-Downlighting/m5-Downlights/220-240V-IP65-Fixed-5W-MV-Dimmable-LED-Downlight-F.aspx

This has a 5 year warranty and conforms to lots of BS standards , including fire rating and air tightness

BS EN 1365-2:2000 (Fire resistance)
    BS EN ISO 140-3:1995 & BS EN ISO 140-6:1998 (Acoustics)
    BS EN 13141-1:2004 (Air leakage)
    (L70) at a 40,000 hour lifetime
    5 Year Warranty
    see auroralighting.com for details

IMHO Engineering is all about standards, I looked up the light that was recommended to you, I didn't spend long trying to find it but on the two sites i looked at there was very little detail.

its output is listed as "comparable to ...Watt fitting" this is a speculative statement it means nothing, its "economic" and "excellent uniform illumination" once again all this means nothing it's just words. It does not have a lumen maintenance factor, or a lumen output figure, so you don't actually know how "bright" it will be when you get it or what the drop off in light level will be after a certain amount of time. Also there is no mention of air tightness on the sites I looked at, once again the term "perfect for air tightness" does not really mean anything, these things are typically measured and perform against a benchmark.

Its up to you, best of luck, if you get it please let us know how you get on .

Advertisement