Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help picking a new graphics card

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

60° resting or 60° when he's been gaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Your CPU Heatsink should be similar to this pic below and will have 4 screws holding it down, make sure these 4 screws are tight. Use a philips screw-driver of the right size to make sure and tighten them tightly if any are lose.

Make sure the power is disconnected when doing anything inside the pc.

If it's 60°c when the computer is idle then it's too hot, GPU or CPU is overheating.

Also, does the fans sound like a loud hair-dryer when the computer is idle after a few minutes ?

Fan could look like either of these, or the one bongalong posted

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAhkFyzomwgy1sW2tvgdzO9clcks2SUKk8EQderexQERl85E2J

http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/201311/LGA1156_DSCF5046.jpg

You haven't mentioned the other crowd charging an arm and a leg for a new fan so it's likely just a stock one

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rachaell

The fans do seem louder now than when it was newer, but it is about 4years old so probably does need new parts just have to figure out what new parts it needs.. I'm not sure about the temp, he's in bed now and the pc is in his room so I'll check tomorrow and get back.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Yeah its like the first one. He didn't replace the fan, he took it apart cleaned out the dust and replaced the paste..

The fans should be just purring away nice and quietly. I would be worried if that place that fixed it didn't apply the thermal paste properly as that is the most important thing to do regarding the CPU.

Well all you can do is troubleshoot whether the 4 screws are indeed properly tight to the motherboard. I cannot imagine the pc repairer forgetting to add thermal compound as that would be crazy.

Just make sure the heat-sink is connected good and tight to the CPU as the new thermal paste they put on it recently will still have a good liquid connection so will be ok. But if it ends up being the graphics card then a new one is in order to fix the problem, unless you have no problem taking the graphics card apart and adding new thermal pads on the memory chips and new thermal paste to the GPU.

Let us know how you get on anyway over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's probably nothing too complex like that. You really shouldn't have to re-apply a graphics cooler ever especially on lower heat cards.

Make sure there is no dust clogging the cpu or graphics cooler. It's pretty common after a couple of years and can really increase temps.

I'd try and make sure there is no software issue either. Clean out the old graphics drivers with this and do a fresh graphics driver installation.

Install this to do that.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/auto/autodetectutility.exe

Also try the RAM in a different slot or a different stick of RAM if you have one to rule that out.

Ok so I switched the ram and put them in the other slots, turned it on and nothing is coming up on screen, all fans are on except one, the fans on cpu & GPU are spinning and it has 19 switching to 50 on the little led thing on the motherboard. Looking for the book off the motherboard to see what codes 19&50 mean but can't find it.. anyone know? Maybe I knocked something out of place..

Got it back on, put one stick of ram in the first slot and seems to be back to normal. Can it run ok on just one stick?
    Sorry about all the question's it's just driving me mad, don't think I'll touch it again myself, I taught it was a goner there 😯

• Advertisement

Yeah it'll run fine, might be a bit slower if it's only 2gb though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

If it is working with one module steadily then the next step is to try another module and try different slots until you get the most stable outcome.

I can't believe it but I think I'm after fixing the crashing problem by fluke. . My son has been playing his games since I put just one stick of ram in earlier and it hasn't crashed once 😆 that's the longest in months.
    So it must be a problem with one of the ram ports on the motherboard.. I can't believe it was that simple!!
    I'm still going to get it looked at tho. Thanks so much for all the help & sorry for all the annoying questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Where are you based?

If it crashes again, i wouldn't mind taking a look to see if i can help.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Where are you based?

If it crashes again, i wouldn't mind taking a look to see if i can help.
    Yeah that would be great, I'm in dublin 8.
    I'll let you know if it does.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 summergreen047

you can go to the PC shop to buy a new one.

you can go to the PC shop to buy a new one.
    Thanks for the input ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

rachaell wrote: »
    Thanks for the input ☺

...he made an account just to say that. Wow. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

MagTuired wrote: »
    ...he made an account just to say that. Wow. :pac:

Haha got to be a troll. Whats update, pc still running?

Hi guys, Sorry I know this thread is old but wanted to update you. It was still crashing after I changed the ram, it only lasted a day or so before it started again. Then my cousin came over and updated the bios and changed the fan temps, and it hasn't crashed once since then.
    Thanks for the help, this forum is great ☺

• Advertisement
Advertisement