Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Gearbox Centre...

• 02-06-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Hi People,

Did any of you deal with the Gearbox centre in Little Island? I need to have a quote for a noise I'm hearing in the 'box before it gets worse/too late, it seems to be the only centre around here...experiences?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I used them for a rebuild on a Leon gearbox. It was about 5 years ago now though when they were in a different unit down there.

Found them decent on price, he gave me a loan of a car while mine was in for free and the car was fine for the next year/40k km before I sold it on.

Think Brian was the guys name, a Dub I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭goochy

I work around corner from them girl n work got g box done and was happy they do grt business and work alot on older range rovers mercs and bmws which ia gud sign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

You have an Alfa 159 afaik? Your car probably has the M32 gearbox I believe it's called. I have heard of these failing, best bet for an Alfa is Don Baker in Enfield, not exactly in Cork but he's fantastic with Alfas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I got a gear box and clutch done from them in the past

Brian is the mans name as said he's a dub, young enough too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭goochy

Considering the cars he works on would say that would be no bother for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

166man wrote: »
    You have an Alfa 159 afaik? Your car probably has the M32 gearbox I believe it's called. I have heard of these failing, best bet for an Alfa is Don Baker in Enfield, not exactly in Cork but he's fantastic with Alfas.

Yeah, Alfa 159 with an M32 box. The oddity is that it's a petrol one, and normally it's the JTDm that have the issue. To be honest it had the whine since day 1, and it didn't get any worse in the time I have the car, but would definitely like to have the bearings replaced, just to be safe (and before something breaks). The 'box is fairly common as it's a GM one, but I wouldn't discount taking the trip up to Dublin for a job well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We used work in a building next door to them, did stuff on all our cars and was always reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Yeah, Alfa 159 with an M32 box. The oddity is that it's a petrol one, and normally it's the JTDm that have the issue. To be honest it had the whine since day 1, and it didn't get any worse in the time I have the car, but would definitely like to have the bearings replaced, just to be safe (and before something breaks). The 'box is fairly common as it's a GM one, but I wouldn't discount taking the trip up to Dublin for a job well done.

Well Don has done quite a few of these on this specific car, I'd certainly give him a call about it anyway, they do normally go on the diesels but I put that down to the diesels being harsher on a gearbox than the petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Old thread but the topic of discussion is the same place.

I had a gearbox rebuilt by them last summer, the infamous Ford Powershift Automatic gearbox, yesterday the same gearbox fell apart after doing only 5500 miles since the full rebuild, what are these people like to deal with? when the gearbox was previously done it was under warranty so all it cost me was not having the car for 2 weeks,notto mention the garage where i bought the car handling everything for me, on this occasion i think it might get messy, the warranty is out and i sure as hell ain't paying to have it rebuilt again, they can take the hit in the pocket for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

Old thread but the topic of discussion is the same place.

I had a gearbox rebuilt by them last summer, the infamous Ford Powershift Automatic gearbox, yesterday the same gearbox fell apart after doing only 5500 miles since the full rebuild, what are these people like to deal with? when the gearbox was previously done it was under warranty so all it cost me was not having the car for 2 weeks,notto mention the garage where i bought the car handling everything for me, on this occasion i think it might get messy, the warranty is out and i sure as hell ain't paying to have it rebuilt again, they can take the hit in the pocket for that.

How was it under warranty when it was last done ? They arent maindealers.
    Surely they will stand by their work

• Advertisement

9935452 wrote: »

I'll rephrase.

Vehicle purchased from a main dealer in the summer of 2017 with a 12 month MAPFRE warranty.

7 months later vehicle breaks down with gearbox failure.

Yesterday after 8 months/5500 miles vehicles breaks down with same failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I had some work done with them a few years ago on an Opel Easytronic gearbox. It was the electronic control unit that failed, so not the mechanical part of the gearbox, and they outsourced the work to someone else, but I was dealing directly with them.

€550 to repair the unit, and after less than a month and 1,000 kilometres it failed again. Had to get the car towed from Galway back to their workshop in Cork and they basically didn't want to hear about it, and passed it off to the other person they outsourced to. Although I was young at the time, now I could have fought harder to get a refund.

Didn't like the attitude of the place at all from the get go to be honest. They wouldn't tell me where my car was with the outsourced guy until I pressed them.

Judging by the Facebook/Google reviews i doubt they'll stand over it. I'll still be asking that they do, i'll try the nice approach first and take it from there.

I just hope that if it does get messy (legally) it will be sorted quickly enough. I ain't paying finance on a car that is sitting around and of no use to me. Will the finance company allow me to change the car even though i am only half way through the contract?

I'll rephrase.

Vehicle purchased from a main dealer in the summer of 2017 with a 12 month MAPFRE warranty.

7 months later vehicle breaks down with gearbox failure.

Yesterday after 8 months/5500 miles vehicles breaks down with same failure.

Ok
    So The mapfre warranty covered the repair 8 months ago ?
    Its worth going back to them to see what they say but likely they will investigate and find a different part of the gearbox has failed

Ok
    So The mapfre warranty covered the repair 8 months ago ?
    Its worth going back to them to see what they say but likely they will investigate and find a different part of the gearbox has failed

Yes it was.

Mapfre warranty now expired, the gearbox packed up the first time with only 2 weeks of that warranty left.

That time it all went through the dealer i purchased the car from so i will be contacting them tomorrow to obtain copies of all paperwork from that transaction.

Gearbox was fully rebuilt i was told by the MD of the gearbox centre.

Total cost on that occasion was €2500 inc. vat

Yes it was.

Mapfre warranty now expired, the gearbox packed up the first time with only 2 weeks of that warranty left.

That time it all went through the dealer i purchased the car from so i will be contacting them tomorrow to obtain copies of all paperwork from that transaction.

Gearbox was fully rebuilt i was told by the MD of the gearbox centre.

Total cost on that occasion was €2500 inc. vat

I was just on their facebook page .

Supposedly there is a 6 month warranty on their work.

That said your car has nothing done since the work

Met with the owner this morning, had to take a day off work myself to get it sorted. He said he will stand over his own work for 12 months, which was good news, he asked me do i only bring it to the corner shop given the mileage i do :pac:

It is now officially with him so i will know today or tomorrow what the exact story is with it, gearbox has to come out though.

There was no drive whatsoever this morning in any of the gears. So thankfully i had it towed direct to their workshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Met with the owner this morning, had to take a day off work myself to get it sorted. He said he will stand over his own work for 12 months, which was good news, he asked me do i only bring it to the corner shop given the mileage i do :pac:

It is now officially with him so i will know today or tomorrow what the exact story is with it, gearbox has to come out though.

There was no drive whatsoever this morning in any of the gears. So thankfully i had it towed direct to their workshop.
    Positive news

Positive news

Absolutely!

Once it's fixed i'm getting onto the finance company to change it, time to move it on.

Still no word on my car, i don't know whether i should be happy or worried.

• Advertisement
Advertisement