Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pubs open on Match Day

Options
  • 02-06-2015 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knows of any pubs that will be open early on sunday (09:00am ish) before the Ireland -v- England Game

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Moved to Dublin City Forum, OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

derra_121 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone knows of any pubs that will be open early on sunday (09:00am ish) before the Ireland -v- England Game

Im not to sure but i think this is one of the reason why the games is so early, Is to not allow any pubs open early enough for people going to the game so i think your luck will be out on sunday morning up until 12/12.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Im not to sure but i think this is one of the reason why the games is so early, Is to not allow any pubs open early enough for people going to the game so i think your luck will be out on sunday morning up until 12/12.30.

That is the exact reason it is on at that time. Would some of the early houses off Pearse Street be open?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Padraig Pearse would be the nearest early house I think. Their FB page says they open at 7.30 so plenty of time!

EDIT: Just had a look that's just during the week 12.30 on Sunday.

Slatterys might be the only early house hat does Sundays Windjammer only opens early during the week too by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Fairly sure Early Houses don't open early on a Sunday. It's only Monday - Saturday as they originally for dockers etc and no one worked Sunday or Saturday night in the docks so no need for an early house.

• Advertisement

Fairly sure Early Houses don't open early on a Sunday. It's only Monday - Saturday as they originally for dockers etc and no one worked Sunday or Saturday night in the docks so no need for an early house.

Slatterys opens early enough on Sunday not as early as during the week presumably but I normally go get the paper at about half ten and its open then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

jimmii wrote: »
    Slatterys opens early enough on Sunday not as early as during the week presumably but I normally go get the paper at about half ten and its open then.

it possibly not selling drink at that hour though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

That's my understanding as well. Early house hours are Monday to Saturday. The tradition of early houses to facilitate dockers and also the markets near Smithfield/Capel St.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Have a nice cup of Tea.

We could do without excessive alcohol consumption both before and after this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

jimmii wrote: »

Yeah fairly sure it is only breakfast until 12.30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hotels with bars will probably sell to residents only, no cash, all room charges

• Registered Users Posts: 18,481 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Have you considered not drinking at 9 in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I had to look up to see was there a football match really starting at 9am :o

The game's not until 1!!! Do you really need to start drinking 4 hours before a game to enjoy it?? At 9 o'clock on a Sunday morning?!!!

it possibly not selling drink at that hour though ?

Pretty sure when they are open they are serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

I had to look up to see was there a football match really starting at 9am :o

The game's not until 1!!! Do you really need to start drinking 4 hours before a game to enjoy it?? At 9 o'clock on a Sunday morning?!!!

The question was not about how much I will or won't drink before the game. It's about finding a place that's open that friends and fellow supports can all go. The atmosphere in a bar before a game (no matter the time) is always excellent. If it was just about drinking I would just buy alcohol the night before and get smashed on the dart before the game.

Suppose we could all go to mass and head the stadium after.

From what I can see there are no early houses on a Sunday. Slatterys could be the best bet for a breakfast and head the game. Never know he barman might give a sneaky pint too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The question was not about how much I will or won't drink before the game. It's about finding a place that's open that friends and fellow supports can all go. The atmosphere in a bar before a game (no matter the time) is always excellent. If it was just about drinking I would just buy alcohol the night before and get smashed on the dart before the game.

From what I can see there are no early houses on a Sunday. Slatterys could be the best bet for a breakfast and head the game. Never know he barman might give a sneaky pint too.

bit of a contradiction?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Would you have enough time for a few pints after the Match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

After all the agrro at the last game, they want to keep the larger lout element away from the game. They also want to remove the possibility of them arriving at the game steaming drunk (and more prone to cause trouble) after spending the day drinking in the pub. The Guards and the FAI were widely criticized for very bad planning and organization, so they aren't taking any chance this time around.

It's probably a bit over the top, as the English and UK FA's are being very strict on who gets tickets, but no one knows for sure what will happen until the day itself, hence all the precautions. Unfortunately the responsible drinkers (the Irish ones :P ) who just want to have a bit of pre match craic, get caught in the crossfire - no pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

My understanding is that a lot of bars in the vicinity of the ground (and on the way toward the city centre) won't even be opening at their normal time of 12:30 on Garda instructions - trying to keep the place alcohol-free until the game is well under way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

modern football, sanitised ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

jrar wrote: »
    My understanding is that a lot of bars in the vicinity of the ground (and on the way toward the city centre) won't even be opening at their normal time of 12:30 on Garda instructions - trying to keep the place alcohol-free until the game is well under way
    I honestly can't see vintner's complying with that, loss of earnings etc.

Do you have a link to confirm this, not arguing, just curious ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I honestly can't see vintner's complying with that, loss of earnings etc.

Do you have a link to confirm this, not arguing, just curious ;)

There was an article about this in the Herald today. It quoted Garda sources that said that pubs in the immediate vicinity of the Aviva agreed not to open up until 4pm, even though legally they were entitled to open & serve from 12.30 onwards. Apparently there is a worry that the larger lout contingent (that couldn't get tickets due to the ticketing restrictions) will still travel & chance their arm getting tickets from touts on the day.

If they are unsuccessful, there is a risk of them setting up camps in the D4 pubs and going on the beer while the game is on. That could lead to trouble when the match is over and 40,000 people are floating about Ballsbridge/Ringsend. Hence the pubs in the area agreeing to stay closed until an hour after the final whistle.

Can't post the link, as the Herald don't put all of their articles online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ProudDUB wrote: »
    There was an article about this in the Herald today. It quoted Garda sources that said that pubs in the immediate vicinity of the Aviva agreed not to open up until 4pm, even though legally they were entitled to open & serve from 12.30 onwards. Apparently there is a worry that the larger lout contingent (that couldn't get tickets due to the ticketing restrictions) will still travel & chance their arm getting tickets from touts on the day.

If they are unsuccessful, there is a risk of them setting up camps in the D4 pubs and going on the beer while the game is on. That could lead to trouble when the match is over and 40,000 people are floating about Ballsbridge/Ringsend. Hence the pubs in the area agreeing to stay closed until an hour after the final whistle.

Can't post the link, as the Herald don't put all of their articles online.

It was all over the radio news today also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Reading about drunken soccer supporters surprises me. I live right beside Lansdowne Road, have done for years, and I really notice the difference between the crowd for rugby and soccer.

Rugby supporters are drunken and shouty, and soccer supporters are much more-well behaved, the emphasis doesn't seem to be on getting rat-arsed. There are usually loads of little kids at soccer matches too.

I have zero interest in either of these sports but when I'm walking around and there's a match on I can tell what the sport is based solely on the level of drunkenness of the supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

quaalude wrote: »
    Reading about drunken soccer supporters surprises me. I live right beside Lansdowne Road, have done for years, and I really notice the difference between the crowd for rugby and soccer.

Rugby supporters are drunken and shouty, and soccer supporters are much more-well behaved, the emphasis doesn't seem to be on getting rat-arsed. There are usually loads of little kids at soccer matches too.

I have zero interest in either of these sports but when I'm walking around and there's a match on I can tell what the sport is based solely on the level of drunkenness of the supporters.

It's to prevent a reoccurrence of that night in 1995 though - nothing to do with regulars attending the soccer games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

quaalude wrote: »

The only trouble I've seen was from Northern Irish fans during the Celtic cup thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

podge018 wrote: »
    modern football, sanitised ****e.

Nonsense, you're trying too hard. it's purely because of this one fixture. If you were around town last Saturday with the Scots in town, it was far from sanitised thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

For future reference, Murray's off O' Connell street opens and serves early in the AM.

Advertisement