Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 8.1 local logon problem after RDP session

• 02-06-2015 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I've a weird issue that only started a week ago.

My PC at home works fine (mostly). I use it in two scenarios

1: RDP to the machine from various remote locations.
    2: Log on locally when I'm at the PC.

If I RDP into the machine I can work fine. If I go home and try to log on I get my password screen. When I enter the password and hit Enter the screen flickers and goes back to the lock screen. It won't log me on.
    If I try RDP into it in this state I can connect fine.
    To log on locally I have to reboot the machine.

So 100% now if I RDP in when I'm away I have to reboot the machine when I'm local to be able to log onto it.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this issue. I haven't installed / uninstalled anything for weeks (apart from the standard Windows updates).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Do you logout when you're finished the RDP session, or just close the RDP Window? In other words, are you unlocking an existing session when you sitdown at the machine, or logging in fresh?

(I know it shouldn't matter, I just wonder if there's something running in the session that is causing the problem).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

If I reboot the box, logon using RDP, do nothing else and then disconnect then try at the desktop I can't log on.

I can reboot the box, work all day at the desktop and leave everything open and then come to it the next day and log on and continue where I left off. But as soon as I used RDP I can't log on at the desktop again.

I normally leave a pile of programs open. I'd normally only reboot the box every couple of weeks after the updates run.

It's quite annoying. It's been as solid as a rock until now. I'm thinking of just fresh installing Windows 10 when it comes out next month. It's been a couple of years since I installed 8 so it could probably do with a clean out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

timetogo wrote: »
    It's quite annoying. It's been as solid as a rock until now. I'm thinking of just fresh installing Windows 10 when it comes out next month. It's been a couple of years since I installed 8 so it could probably do with a clean out.

If you can't wait that long, or want to wait a little until all the post Windows 10 kinks are worked out, then you can do an in-place refresh of Windows 8. It's worked wonders on my machine. You lose any applications that aren't from the Windows Store, but all your files should be kept.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

timetogo wrote: »
    If I reboot the box, logon using RDP, do nothing else and then disconnect then try at the desktop I can't log on.
    Rather than disconnect, select logoff in the RDP session.

That's not a recommended solution, it's a recommendation for trouble-shooting. If you can log back in when you have logged out, that would mean that there's something running in an already logged in session that doesn't like the change between an RDP session and a local session. If it doesn't make any difference, then you can focus your investigation elsewhere.

Some other things to investigate - if you force the RDP session to use a different screen geometry when setting up the session, does it make any difference? Can you create a new account on the machine at home, and remote into that account instead, and see if the problem is tied to just your normal profile, or if it applies to every account on the machine?

Do you have another machine at home that you can do these tests from? It's obviously not very practical to have to go back and forth between 2 different locations to do this sort of troubleshooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Some good suggestions there.

Catinabox - I didn't know about that. Unfortunately all of my apps are non store apps. I keep my files tidy too on a local NAS. While that refresh would probably work the effort to reinstall my apps and settings is the bigger effort. I'd probably just add the extra hour and install the OS fresh too.

Bayberry - good point on the second user and for the logging out rather than disconnect. I didn't of those myself. I'm getting old. Will try out tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Are the language settings identical on the remote host and the terminal you connect from? I'm thinking that the disconnected RDP session may be picking up a different keyboard setting from the RDP session that then means your correct password isn't recognised because the keyboard layout has been changed for the host's local keyboard on that session...

Advertisement