Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gear on a speed hump 2nd/3rd for driving test

• 02-06-2015 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

This might seem like a silly question, but different instructors have told me 2 different procedures for speed humps. Are both of them right?

1. Slow down change to 2nd gear, and speed up once over the hump.
    2. Slow down change down to 3rd gear if not already on it, speed up over the hump. (Don't change up to 3rd gear if already on 2nd).

Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

This might seem like a silly question, but different instructors have told me 2 different procedures for speed humps. Are both of them right?

1. Slow down change to 2nd gear, and speed up once over the hump.
    2. Slow down change down to 3rd gear if not already on it, speed up over the hump. (Don't change up to 3rd gear if already on 2nd).

Thank you.

Oh I urge you to practice. I was behind this learner recently who shot down from 80kph -> 30kph in no time at all. Gradual slowing of the car is vital, not a sudden leap in speeds!

^^^ I say this why exactly?! It depends on your speed en approach to said speed-bump really.

Just gradual slowing and maintain control. If you're in 3rd ; in control ; car is steady and engine is not telling you you're in wrong gear, then go for it and vice versa for 2nd. Get used to trusting your own instincts behind the wheel. Get used to gaining more confidence where you'll drive and manouver your gears to the point where you won't be thinking "oh! I'm in 3rd, instructor said should be 2nd". You'll just shift your gears naturally with practice.

Practice. Gain more Confidence driving. Practice the area with the speed-bumps and see what you're content with.

Stay Safe out there,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I always slow right down and proceed over bumps in 2nd gear. I do so, slower than most, but it's for the benefit of my car's suspension. I always wondered if this could result in any marks against me. Provided you are able to make good progress after passing the speed bump, I don't see how one could be negatively marked. Anyone have any opinions on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 redline2015

All ramps are different, all cars are different, Depending on the speed you have adjusted to in order to proceed over the ramp comfortable and safely, this could be any gear from 1 to 4

Think about you in a building site with a massive
    Ramp and your driving with your nice low profile tyres and lowered suspension you're going to slow right down to a walking pace, so match your gear

Your driving at 50k in an area that has ramps that are long sweeping and very low and you could comfortably and safely proceed without a reduction in speed...so match your gear,

Your driving downhill and reduce your speed for a ramp and pick a suitable gear, going uphill same ramp same reduction in speed but because your climbing you more than likely going to need a lower gear.

All ramp are different

Hope that helps

Excuse any spelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I always slow right down and proceed over bumps in 2nd gear. I do so, slower than most, but it's for the benefit of my car's suspension. I always wondered if this could result in any marks against me. Provided you are able to make good progress after passing the speed bump, I don't see how one could be negatively marked. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Nobody ever really does their test in lowered BMW Coupés with 18" wheels though :p I'm the same with mine, plenty of ramps I have to take in 1st, some even require crabbing across... and then others I don't even attempt to take, I just find an alternate route. Would it be a mark for progress? Maybe... You'd be damned sure to get marked down for taking them too fast though.

The most important thing for taking a speed ramp IMO is don't have your foot on the brakes whilst taking the ramp. On the brakes lowers the cars nose which means the ramp will feel much harsher. Brake early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wafflemaker

Thank you very much guys! I thought there was a strict rule about which gear to take for the ramp, apparently there isn't.

P.s. passed my test!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thank you very much guys! I thought there was a strict rule about which gear to take for the ramp, apparently there isn't.

P.s. passed my test!

Nah, not for that but I'll give you A rule :

Safe & Happy Driving from A -> B -> C and get yourself to your end destination safely at the end of each day :)

Congrats To You!
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

I've always taken speed bumps in second. Did so during my test and wasn't penalized for it. Ergo: second is fine for speed bumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

All speed humps are different. Some near me I can go over in 4th without slowing. One on my way to work, I have to slow right down to 1st, due to the rise in the hump, and it being on a steep hill, I risk stalling the car. Glad it wasn't on my test route, as I was always told to slow, drop through the gears, and go over them in 2nd.

Advertisement