Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under 21 hurling 2015

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Barry O'Connell won his second u-21 Munster medal tonight, four years after his first. Might be a record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Barry O'Connell won his second u-21 Munster medal tonight, four years after his first. Might be a record.

I may be wrong on this, but can somebody confirm, that Ciaran Carey was on 4 losing U-21 Munster final teams.??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

The U21 championship so far has been far superior to the senior to be honest. Really great matches, a lot of them down to the wire. Anyone who thinks hurling is dying should be watching these games.

Very Bored wrote: »
    The U21 championship so far has been far superior to the senior to be honest. Really great matches, a lot of them down to the wire. Anyone who thinks hurling is dying should be watching these games.

Youngsters tend to play with a bit more flair and abandon then the Senior counterparts i notice. There has been some cracking games/and displays. Up to tonight Clare hadnt been beaten in the u21 championship since 2011 amazingly. Some run reallly. Limerick have shown unbelievable spirit in this competition so far and have kept plugging away when all looked lost. Wexford have been dazzling with their own brand of brazilian hurling. Really looking forward to the All ireland final. You'd imagine that Wexford wont slip up against Antrim this time and Limerick v Galway should be a close encounter.

Jeez he must have been a second year minor on his first win?

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    I may be wrong on this, but can somebody confirm, that Ciaran Carey was on 4 losing U-21 Munster final teams.??

Just after realising Eoin Kelly was on two Munster winning teams 1999 and 2003 albeit as a sub in 99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Clare noticed the Limerick half back lines domination of Tipp's puckouts and went short to counter this by picking out the corner backs or wing forwards running into space around the middle. Some of the puck accuracy was poor and some of the control was poor too. Anytime they went long Limerick mopped it up.
    Limerick were better, Clare did well to get to the final, not a vintage crop compared to previous years. Donal in fairness had to work with what he has and ball winning forwards they aren't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

washman3 wrote: »

Limerick lost 4 in a row from 88 to 91 and Carey would have been eligible every year, don't know if he actually played on all 4 teams
    Jeez he must have been a second year minor on his first win?

Well that was 2011 so he would have been minor the following year anyway yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Antrim are chomping at the bit...

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=242857

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Shame that they would take that attitude towards an All-Ireland semi final. Wexford should win that one handy I'd imagine.

Galway v Limerick is difficult to call since Galway are as usual a bit of an unknown quantity. But Galway will have a very potent forward line and we certainly know the kind of form that Jason Flynn and Cathal Mannion have been in, and more recently Conor Whelan. Brian Molloy is there too in the forwards, a top class minor and another senior panellist. Limerick have the advantage of games under their belt but I think this Galway forward line is the best they will have encountered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

System needs to be changed and Antrim should not be in an All Ireland S/F. It's a shame and hard to believe how much further they have fallen in recent years. They have been passed out by the likes of Westmeath and Carlow who seem to put in alot of work. I always considered Antrim a hurling county but after not having enough jerseys for players and now to hear they can't even get full numbers for training for an All Ireland S/F what exactly is going on up in Antrim?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

they came out with the same crap 2 years ago and Wexford took it hook line and sinker and gave them very little respect and it showed in the performance and result. I cant see Wexford being as complacent in their attitude again, and they really shouldnt be believing the likes of this woe is me story. Antrim will be giving it their all on Saturday, and if Wexford dont perform or believe they only have to turn up to win, then they will be in for another nasty shock again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It really is a joke that the structure of the U-21 championship has not been altered.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

It's an insult to the proper hurling counties that they get a bye to the all Ireland semis...when you think how long cork are gone out of the championship and they don't even have interest in an all Ireland semi...as with a lot of the gaa championship structures it's a farce, better off with a 16 team open draw straight knockout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Mehapoy wrote: »
    It's an insult to the proper hurling counties that they get a bye to the all Ireland semis...when you think how long cork are gone out of the championship and they don't even have interest in an all Ireland semi...as with a lot of the gaa championship structures it's a farce, better off with a 16 team open draw straight knockout

I agree, that the structure of this championship is ridiculous and a disgrace that it has not been changed.
    However that Cork team would be long gone out of the championship no matter what format it was in. They were septic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I totally agree about the open draw. I think it could be very innovative and a great initiative for the GAA.

Btw, there were 18 teams in the U-21 championship this year, so two teams would need to be dropped for a 16-team open draw.
    Antrim, Armagh, Carlow, Clare, Cork, Derry, Down, Dublin, Galway, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Limerick, Offaly, Tipperary, Waterford, Westmeath, and Wexford.

Anyone know what determines if a team should be in the U-21 or U-21B championship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Well the same could be said about Galway and at least Antrim actually won a provincial title. Do agree its a farce on the whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm hoping for a Limerick / Wexford final in thurles. That would bring a massive crowd and it would be a novel pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

danganabu wrote: »
    Well the same could be said about Galway and at least Antrim actually won a provincial title. Do agree its a farce on the whole.

You have the leinster counties, apart from kilkenny, to thank for that on not alllowing galway to enter the minor and u21 leinster championship!! It went to a vote which was rejected

donnem33 wrote: »
    You have the leinster counties, apart from kilkenny, to thank for that on not alllowing galway to enter the minor and u21 leinster championship!! It went to a vote which was rejected

Oh I know that, not for one minute blaming Galway, although the week thats in it I should be :p, I remember at the time that Dublin, Offaly, Wexford, Laois etc. were concerned that adding Galway, who lets be fair have an excellent underage record, to Leinster would inhibit their chances of development.

A justifiable concern to be fair, but if Galway were being included at senior it is farcical that they arent for any other grade, a typical Irish solution to an Irish problem!

• Advertisement

Oh I know that, not for one minute blaming Galway, although the week thats in it I should be :p, I remember at the time that Dublin, Offaly, Wexford, Laois etc. were concerned that adding Galway, who lets be fair have an excellent underage record, to Leinster would inhibit their chances of development.

A justifiable concern to be fair, but if Galway were being included at senior it is farcical that they arent for any other grade, a typical Irish solution to an Irish problem!

ya its very strange they allowed the intermediates in, admittedly only kilkenny and wexford compete anyway, but not allow the minors and u21

open draw for minor and u21 is the only solution and would be the fairer system as everyone is equal then!

robbiezero wrote: »
    I agree, that the structure of this championship is ridiculous and a disgrace that it has not been changed.
    However that Cork team would be long gone out of the championship no matter what format it was in. They were septic.
    True they were very bad this year, let's just say they'd probably be out at the same time as Antrim ie. First round!

Its probably not intentional but some here are being very harsh on Antrim, firstly its completley not their fault that the system is so farcical, secondly they actually won a provincial title and thirdly have we all forgotten already that they actually got to the All Ireland Final just 2 years ago.

Its probably not intentional but some here are being very harsh on Antrim, firstly its completley not their fault that the system is so farcical, secondly they actually won a provincial title and thirdly have we all forgotten already that they actually got to the All Ireland Final just 2 years ago.

It's not their fault, but it is so annoying to have u21 semi-finals on TV and be all set to watch some good games and have farcicial mis-matches take place. Fair enough its hard to avoid them in early rounds, but a joke that the last 4 can hold such ridiculous mis-matches.
    Yes they got to the All-Ireland and the match was a joke shop. A procession for Clare.

It's not their fault, but it is so annoying to have u21 semi-finals on TV and be all set to watch some good games and have farcicial mis-matches take place. Fair enough its hard to avoid them in early rounds, but a joke that the last 4 can hold such ridiculous mis-matches.
    Yes they got to the All-Ireland and the match was a joke shop. A procession for Clare.

The joke was Wexford being beaten by them.

The joke was Wexford being beaten by them.

True. That was one of the biggest shocks of the modern era. Wexford thought they had only to turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Kilkenny, Dublin, Waterford, Tipp and Clare are miles better than Antrim. Yet all of them out of the Championship while Antrim get practically a free pass to the SF each year

True. That was one of the biggest shocks of the modern era. Wexford thought they had only to turn up.

It was a massive massive shock I mean Antrim stuggled to win Ulster, its not as if they had an especially strong team like say the Senior team in '89 who were actually a very good team that just froze in the final.

It's very hard for a team that goes into a game with the wrong attitude and over ridden with complacency to simply switch it on when they realise they are in a game, it's just not that simple and they paid the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I think sat nights limk v galway looks to be intriguing I've seen limk play twice and still have no clue as to how sat night will go we traditionally struggle v Galway and with their forwards we should as well on sat but i'd have faith in our backs too as there is some good young players involved.

• Advertisement

You don't need to drop anyone. To fit 18 teams into straight knock out you just have a draw and have the 15th - 18th teams out of the hat play off before the start of the championship proper, two go through giving 16 teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I'm hoping for a Limerick / Wexford final in thurles. That would bring a massive crowd and it would be a novel pairing.

2001 under 21 final was Limerick vs wexford which Limerick won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Brian017 wrote: »
    Kilkenny, Dublin, Waterford, Tipp and Clare are miles better than Antrim. Yet all of them out of the Championship while Antrim get practically a free pass to the SF each year

Should be the same system as the minor championship where runners up get a second chance. Galway and Ulster champions should go into the quarter finals and play the munster and Leinster runners up and the 2 winners play the champions in the semi finals

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Should be the same system as the minor championship where runners up get a second chance. Galway and Ulster champions should go into the quarter finals and play the munster and Leinster runners up and the 2 winners play the champions in the semi finals

God no...how is that fair? why should teams be allowed 2 chances but galway and ulster champs only get 1 game...and coming in against them in a quarter final having played a few games!!

minor and u21 championships need to be overhauled!

donnem33 wrote: »
    God no...how is that fair? why should teams be allowed 2 chances but galway and ulster champs only get 1 game...and coming in against them in a quarter final having played a few games!!

minor and u21 championships need to be overhauled!

Should be the open draw 16 teams all in as well, could still play the provincial championships as a warm up before the main draw...maybe reserve a place in the quarters for the provincial winners or something, so much more you could do than the farcical way it's run off at the moment...

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more tbh, and in fact the sooner they get rid of the back door in Minor the better.

• Advertisement

Couldn't disagree more tbh, and in fact the sooner they get rid of the back door in Minor the better.

And have the same system as the u21? So either Leinster or Munster champions gets practically a bye into the final every second year,
    no fan of the back door but its preferable to this farce that we have 4 provinces playing hurling and lads training for months for 1 meaningful 60 minutes game...would be absolute lunacy to go back to that...

And have the same system as the u21? So either Leinster or Munster champions gets practically a bye into the final every second year,
    no fan of the back door but its preferable to this farce that we have 4 provinces playing hurling and lads training for months for 1 meaningful 60 minutes game...would be absolute lunacy to go back to that...

It may be a farce but it is a dream scenario compared to the Munster Minor championship, which has to be the most redicilous format ever, where in many cases you are better off losing a match!

An example just from this years championship both Cork and Clare got absolutely shafted, Cork beat Limerick in Cork, and their reward was play Limerick in Limerick, I mean seriously! Clare on the other hand got a bye in the first round, great you might think, but no, they have to play a team who have already had a tough game and win under their belt and get no second chance like every other team in the province.

Knockout is the only way to go, have you ever wondered why the U21 championship is by far the most enjoyable and exciting to watch.

It may be a farce but it is a dream scenario compared to the Munster Minor championship, which has to be the most redicilous format ever, where in many cases you are better off losing a match!

An example just from this years championship both Cork and Clare got absolutely shafted, Cork beat Limerick in Cork, and their reward was play Limerick in Limerick, I mean seriously! Clare on the other hand got a bye in the first round, great you might think, but no, they have to play a team who have already had a tough game and win under their belt and get no second chance like every other team in the province.

Knockout is the only way to go, have you ever wondered why the U21 championship is by far the most enjoyable and exciting to watch.

Totally agree that the Munster championship is a farce of a structure but I think that is because you're trying to have two conflicting aims in one, a knockout structure but building in more games with only 5 teams, the obvious solution is to have a round robin or something with each team having the same amount of game but GAA admins and congress types go weak at the knees when they hear of 'non knockout' formats....
    What I don't agree with is all this back slapping of how the u21 championship is great because it's exciting to watch, like the minor it's main aim should be to help counties develop players for the senior squad, I think it could well do both but the main aim should be player development, not always a GAA aim though.

Can't really see where they could fit the time to play a "non-knockout" u21 championship given that unlike the minor you cannot play it the same weekend as senior championship games.
    It would further screw up club fixtures.

Totally agree that the Munster championship is a farce of a structure but I think that is because you're trying to have two conflicting aims in one, a knockout structure but building in more games with only 5 teams, the obvious solution is to have a round robin or something with each team having the same amount of game but GAA admins and congress types go weak at the knees when they hear of 'non knockout' formats....
    What I don't agree with is all this back slapping of how the u21 championship is great because it's exciting to watch, like the minor it's main aim should be to help counties develop players for the senior squad, I think it could well do both but the main aim should be player development, not always a GAA aim though.

Yes but you have to surely get the balance right between development and burn out, an example from my own club last year, we had a talented young guy who was a dual county minor last year and he was involved with a total of 12 teams and attended Aussie Rules trials as well, that is pure madness.

I was talking to his father one day and he told me that the young lad had been in Thurles 40 of the previous 42 nights, and that was only for 2 of the teams!

• Advertisement

Yes but you have to surely get the balance right between development and burn out, an example from my own club last year, we had a talented young guy who was a dual county minor last year and he was involved with a total of 12 teams and attended Aussie Rules trials as well, that is pure madness.

I was talking to his father one day and he told me that the young lad had been in Thurles 40 of the previous 42 nights, and that was only for 2 of the teams!

Absolutely yes burn out is an issue, I'd be in favour of every team having 3 and a maximum of 5 games rather then 1 team getting 1 game and another getting 5 games in the same championship, I think the days of dual players, even at minor are numbered, it just can't be done nowadays with the amount of training going into county squads and development squads...guys will be finished early with injuries for the rest of their lives.

Can't really see where they could fit the time to play a "non-knockout" u21 championship given that unlike the minor you cannot play it the same weekend as senior championship games.
    It would further screw up club fixtures.
    They find the time to train for a good few months before the games start, the counties that progress in the championship fit it in ie. Limerick and Wexford would have played 2 or 3 times already...the overall scheduling is another issue too alright, especially with the clubs,
    I'd be in favour of players starting or on the bench with their senior teams not be eligible play u21, that would allow it to be played same timeframe as senior and minor (keep it midweek), you could have a real inter county season the. That doesn't overlap too much and doesn't flog the players playing with multiple teams...

They find the time to train for a good few months before the games start, the counties that progress in the championship fit it in ie. Limerick and Wexford would have played 2 or 3 times already...the overall scheduling is another issue too alright, especially with the clubs,
    I'd be in favour of players starting or on the bench with their senior teams not be eligible play u21, that would allow it to be played same timeframe as senior and minor (keep it midweek), you could have a real inter county season the. That doesn't overlap too much and doesn't flog the players playing with multiple teams...

Do that and it just becomes a mickey mouse competition like the intermediate championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway

1. Gearoid Loughnane (Loughrea)

2. Declan Cronin (Cappataggle)
    3. Paul Killeen (Tynagh-Abbey-Duniry)
    4. Barry Keane (Clarinbridge)

5. Sean Sweeney (Loughrea)
    6. Shane Cooney (St Thomas)
    7. Eanna Burke (St Thomas)

8. Kevin McHugo (Tommy Larkins)
    9. Dan Nevin (Cappataggle)

10. Eamonn Brannigan (Rahoon-Newcastle)
    11. Cathal Mannion (Ahascragh-Fohenagh)
    12. Conor Whelan (Kinvara)

13. Brian Molloy (Kilnadeema-Leitrim)
    14. Ronan O’Meara (Portumna)
    15. Jason Flynn (Tommy Larkins)

Limerick

1. David McCarthy (Glenroe)

2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Richie English (Doon)
    4. Michael Casey (Na Piarsaigh)

5. Diarmaid Byrnes​ (Patrickswell)(Vice Captain)
    6. Barry O’Connell (Kildimo Pallaskenry)(Captain)
    7. Gearoid Hegarty (St. Patrick’s)

8. Darragh O Donovan (Doon)
    9. Pat Ryan (Doon)

10. Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh)
    11. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)
    12. David Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh),

13. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    15. Barry Nash (South Liberties)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Pandiani

Diarmuid Byrnes is actually captain of Limerick, I've seen it written a few places that O'Connell is though.

Pandiani wrote: »
    Diarmuid Byrnes is actually captain of Limerick, I've seen it written a few places that O'Connell is though.

Do I not recall something about joint captains or something no??

Anyone got the Wexford and Antrim line ups? Can't find them anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Slobs

Wexford Team V Antrim

Oliver O’Leary Buffers Alley
    Simon Donohoe Shelmaliers
    Liam Ryan Rapparees
    Eoin Conroy Naomh Eanna
    Jim White Oylegate Glenbrien
    Padraig Foley Crossabeg Ballymurn.
    Jack O’Connor St. Martins
    Conor Devitt Ballyfad
    Tony French Adamstown
    Andrew Kenny Buffers Alley
    Kevin Foley Rapparees
    James Cash Shelmaliers
    Cathal Dunbar Ballygarret
    Conor McDonald Naomh Eanna
    Peter Sutton Oulart The Ballagh
    Luke White St. Martins
    Lar McDonald Shamrocks
    Kevin Sheridan Oulart
    Billy Kelly HWH Bunclody
    Sam Kelly Crossabeg Ballymurn
    Shane Murphy St. James Ramsgrange
    Jake Firman St. Martins
    Sean Kenny HWH Bunclody
    Anthony Roche Oulart The Ballagh
    Extended Panel: Gavin Bailey, Sean Murphy, Sean Stafford, Pierce Doyle, Joe Coleman, Harry O’Connor, Darragh Pepper, Yusif Frih, Oliver Doran, Walter Furlong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

1 point from play after a quarter of the game, absolutely desperate stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Galway and Limerick will be rubbing their hands watching this

• Advertisement
Advertisement