Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under 21 hurling 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

This is actually the worst game I think I've ever seen. In fairness think Wexford will raise it for the final, but not ideal preparation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

This is actually the worst game I think I've ever seen. In fairness think Wexford will raise it for the final, but not ideal preparation.

Its not topping this
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2008/0803/235674-kildare_fermanagh/
    Wexford never looked in any trouble here, miles better than Antrim but shot some terrible wides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

A 54th minute perfectly fair shoulder by Antrim no. 7 and ref blows for a free. I saw the same twice last week. The defender should have pulled a jersey instead. He'd have got away with it. Some refs need to cop on.
    Wexford are poor and Antrim are worse. Wexford beat the poorest ever Kilkenny team. But worse, this is a sad comedown for Antrim. Their fine hurlers from 1985-1995 must be squirming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Good game so far Galway v limerick. Limerick half back line very much to the fore again here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Galway very loose around the middle of the park.

corny wrote: »
    Galway very loose around the middle of the park.

Their shipping a big score alright, 8 points after 11 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway looking undercooked. Passes going astray. Second to every ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Savage hurling, two teams are a credit

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

Don't know why they have a ref on the field at all. He's letting a hell of a lot go from both sides.

• Advertisement

10 all at half time, it's well set up for the second half now. It reminded me of the Munster final, Limerick well on top for most of the first half but let the other team get scores at the end to level the game. It will be interesting whether they can get back on top again,I think Galway have the last 6 points. I think Horgan has been favourable to Galway too to be honest. Killeen at full back is playing as good as I have seen from him.

alphasully wrote: »
    Don't know why they have a ref on the field at all. He's letting a he'll of a lot go from both sides.

Must have swallowed his whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Byrnes is a lucky boy there. Jabbing with the hurl is a dangerous thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Great goal for Limerick. Well taken by Morrissey considering he was on his knees after being rugby tackled to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

This is quite a good game, probably the real final.

Well done to Limerick, fully deserved that, I thought the 1-3 margin was an accurate margin in difference between the sides. Limerick's forwards are playing really well, all are making good contributions. Theyre very strong and physical in the air and should have a good chance now of winning the final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Rightwing wrote: »

Wexford will be waiting for them

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Wexford will be waiting for them

Wex did well to beat Antrim, but that should be their race run now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Impressive when you think there's three established Senior forwards on the Galway u21 team (Whelan not to the same extent). A good team they beat and they bet em well. Wexford are a good team but don't think they'll be able to handle this team.

The lack of gametime probably hurt Galway in the end. Felt they were just a little loose with their hurling all over the field. The type of thing that often gets corrected with time on the pitch together. Limerick deserved the win.

Impressive when you think there's three established Senior forwards on the Galway u21 team (Whelan not to the same extent). A good team they beat and they bet em well. Wexford are a good team but don't think they'll be able to handle this team.

I was a little bit disappointed with Galway. May have to re evaluate Tipp's display last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Jason Flynn looked a broken man going off, tells you what it means to the players, a senior all ireland in 2 weeks and still devestated to lose a u-21 semi final. Had a great game

That 49th minute goal by Tom Morrissey for Limerick is as good as I've seen. A pity about the baboon behaviour in its immedite aftermath. Who started that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Taking Wexford for granted is a mistake from the past that I dearly hope is not repeated!!

The lack of gametime probably hurt Galway in the end. Felt they were just a little loose with their hurling all over the field. The type of thing that often gets corrected with time on the pitch together. Limerick deserved the win.

In under 21 Galway should have a preliminary game against the Ulster champions, winner to play semifinal against Munster or Leinster champions in alternate years - just one semifinal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Very true. You could tell any time that Whelan made a break that he'd be caught quickly whereas in that second half the Galway defending was very soft. Hope Kileen can build on this because a natural FB is very hard to find in Galway.

Very true. You could tell any time that Whelan made a break that he'd be caught quickly whereas in that second half the Galway defending was very soft. Hope Kileen can build on this because a natural FB is very hard to find in Galway.

His hurling seems to have tidied up alot and he has trimmed down since I saw him at minor. He looks a good prospect now for Galway, as you said he is a very natural 3, knows how to defend correctly and is good at winning direct ball in 1v1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Some of our main men didn't show today but we had others who stepped into the breach, sign of a serious team imo. Wexford seem to have been favourites all year, they'll need to be at their best judging by that performance.

Don't think there was a single scorable free awarded in the first half, must be a record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I was a little bit disappointed with Galway. May have to re evaluate Tipp's display last week.

I'd stick to the rugby if I was you;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Some of our main men didn't show today but we had others who stepped into the breach, sign of a serious team imo. Wexford seem to have been favourites all year, they'll need to be at their best judging by that performance.

Don't think there was a single scorable free awarded in the first half, must be a record.

I was wondering if the red had lost his whistle for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Massive win thrilled to bits really looking forward to the final now will be close I see limk are favourites at 4/7 wexford 7/4 i'm a little surprised at that.Limericks half back line are v solid with good hurlers amazing twas fairly comfortable considering the two lynches were quiet.Will watch it again but our full back line made a total nuisance of themselves which is what you want any full back line to do some of them might have decent futures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

lim4ev wrote: »
    Massive win thrilled to bits really looking forward to the final now will be close I see limk are favourites at 4/7 wexford 7/4 i'm a little surprised at that.Limericks half back line are v solid with good hurlers amazing twas fairly comfortable considering the two lynches were quiet.Will watch it again but our full back line made a total nuisance of themselves which is what you want any full back line to do some of them might have decent futures

ignore that your right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Very surprised by that
    Thought limerick be under dogs
    Limerick don't handle expectations well and be better under dog

Would feel Wexford may edge it but limerick have had magnificent season when lot this team eligible next year

Limerick were full control imo as I posted on limerick thread
    Had poor twenty minutes up to half time but the second half were brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

danganabu wrote: »
    I'd stick to the rugby if I was you;)

I'd agree.

Very surprised by that
    Thought limerick be under dogs
    Limerick don't handle expectations well and be better under dog

Would feel Wexford may edge it but limerick have had magnificent season when lot this team eligible next year

Limerick were full control imo as I posted on limerick thread
    Had poor twenty minutes up to half time but the second half were brilliant

I wasn't. I'm suprised the bookies have Limerick at only 4/7. A cracking bet.

I wasn't. I'm suprised the bookies have Limerick at only 4/7. A cracking bet.

Looks like the bookies agree with you rightwing limk 2/5 now wex 5/2 believe me not good news for Limerick plus i don't see there being that much of a gap yes i'd fancy us but would be v wary of wexford seems these prices are being based on the semi's a game wex couldn't win no matter what they did.Limerick impressed alright but as i said would be wary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If we lose to Wexford, it will be because we weren't good enough on the day, it will not be down to the bookies odds.

The players would have considered themselves favourites in every single game this year, they were very confident at the start of the year. It is part of the management's job to get the players heads right for the game, no matter what the situation... if the players were the type to crumble at any sign of pressure, we would never win an All-Ireland with this group. However, I don't believe this is true, I believe they'll win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Looks like the bookies agree with you rightwing limk 2/5 now wex 5/2 believe me not good news for Limerick plus i don't see there being that much of a gap yes i'd fancy us but would be v wary of wexford seems these prices are being based on the semi's a game wex couldn't win no matter what they did.Limerick impressed alright but as i said would be wary

Wexford were very slack in their first outing against a woeful Offaly team. I thought they looked really poor. Then they were outstanding and gave a Kilkenny side a beating that in my lifetime I have never seen a Kilkenny team take.
    I would not read a whole lot into the Antrim performance, it was very similar to their Offaly effort. There looks to be plenty more in the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Bookies odds are pretty much nothing more than a reflection on being patterns, I wouldn't pay much attention at all, particularly at underage level. If they meant anything we would have fell at the first hurdle and it would have been a Tipperary v Waterford Munster final. "Upsets" are a common occurrence at underage level. Two good teams relatively evenly matched, and both will be confident. It's as simple as it all goes down to whichever team plays best on the day.

I'm not paying any attention to the bookies just pointing out what they are quoting

• Advertisement

I'm not paying any attention to the bookies just pointing out what they are quoting

Indeed.

I put €700 on Limerick and the odds changed straight away.

Surprised there isn't more discussion on this especially since there's 3 major competitions up for grabs each year and this is one of them plus since kk have taken over the snrs this u21 championship is not to be sniffed at especially if you are from where either of the finalist are from.Crumbs from the top table it may be but i'd take your hand off for it.

Limerick to win for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Crumbs from the top table it may be but i'd take your hand off for it.

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. Every county takes it very seriously. Winning an U-21 All-Ireland is a massive achievement.

The fact that my own county Kilkenny hasn't won the U-21 since 2008 is very, very disappointing.

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. Every county takes it very seriously. Winning an U-21 All-Ireland is a massive achievement.

The fact that my own county Kilkenny hasn't won the U-21 since 2008 is very, very disappointing.

Fair enough dastardly but it was said kind of tongue in cheek plus we'v won these before and never landed the big one afterwards i suppose first steps and all that.As i said i'd bite your hand off for the win on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

The Limerick half back line really give me cause for concern our Half forward line was the most disappointing line against Antrim.

Although i cant see Foley or Kenny having such bad matches again they need to up it another 20% to break even with Limerick. Also the Full forward for Limerick seems a real handful and Ryan is not having his best year for Wexford.

But the biggest problem we have is we have started so frighin slow in every game it takes us nearly 15/20 Minutes to get up to speed in games Sometimes longer (offaly and Antrim). Wexford can not allow this to happen again on saturday as i dont see limerick allowing us back into it.

Unfortunately i would have to favour Limerick in this one. Everyone Points to the beating we gave KK but being honest the main talking point was how bad KK looked that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

gizmo23 wrote: »
    The Limerick half back line really give me cause for concern our Half forward line was the most disappointing line against Antrim.

Although i cant see Foley or Kenny having such bad matches again they need to up it another 20% to break even with Limerick. Also the Full forward for Limerick seems a real handful and Ryan is not having his best year for Wexford.

But the biggest problem we have is we have started so frighin slow in every game it takes us nearly 15/20 Minutes to get up to speed in games Sometimes longer (offaly and Antrim). Wexford can not allow this to happen again on saturday as i dont see limerick allowing us back into it.

Unfortunately i would have to favour Limerick in this one. Everyone Points to the beating we gave KK but being honest the main talking point was how bad KK looked that day.

Agree with most of your assessment, but Ryan on Morrissey isn't a concern for me. He tends to cope fine with physical full forwards.

I'd be worried that Limerick may have devised a plan to bottle up Mac, and if they have I feel Wexford need another forward capable of carrying the can with scores from play. Don't think Sutton is reliable enough. Maybe someone like Sam Kelly getting a start?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

gizmo23 wrote: »

I read the first half sentence under the impression that you were from Limerick and thought you were mad :D yeah Limericks half back line is particularly formidable.

I would make Limerick slight favourites but think that the bookies prices are definitely off, Wexford at 5/2 is massive, Limerick have improved with every game but I would still have a very slight concern about their mini collapse against Tipp, Tipperary seriously under performed that night and yet only for a brilliant save from the keeper probably would have won. I know KK were poor but a repeat of that performance from Wexford would make them very hard to beat.

From a Limerick perspective i'd have no fears whatsoever in any of our 1-7 i'd go as far as saying 3 of them should have started for the seniors this yr in my opinion i'd be a little worried about our forwards as some are very young and wexford have is it 9 from last years starting 15?so that'd be a worry for me

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/ger-cunningham-its-time-to-revamp-u21-championship-353029.html

Stupid suggestion imo by Cunningham. Why should leinster and munster finalists be allowed another chance (after already winning at lease a semi final, and possible quarter final) and have Antrim and Galway coming into the quarter final to play them.

u21 is a perfect opportunity to try an open draw!or else allow Antrim and Galway into leinster. Dont understand how Leinster will allow the Galway seniors and intermediates in, but not the minor and u21

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

donnem33 wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/ger-cunningham-its-time-to-revamp-u21-championship-353029.html

Stupid suggestion imo by Cunningham. Why should leinster and munster finalists be allowed another chance (after already winning at lease a semi final, and possible quarter final) and have Antrim and Galway coming into the quarter final to play them.

u21 is a perfect opportunity to try an open draw!or else allow Antrim and Galway into leinster. Dont understand how Leinster will allow the Galway seniors and intermediates in, but not the minor and u21

Ya either if those alternatives is preferable to yet another 'back door', although with Westmeath, Kildare and Carlow competitive enough in Leinster it would be a massive lopsided championship with 5 in Munster and 8-10 in Leinster...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Slobs

There were eight teams in the Leinster U21 hurling this year as it is and you want to add two more.

There are only five teams in muster so would not be better to add in two there

Ulster played there own championship so what happens the other ulster counties.

Why not put Galway in Ulster it would not be anymore unbalanced than the leinster senior football championship with Dublin running riot and with automatic home advantage for every match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement