Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delaney the 5mil & Fifa

• 02-06-2015 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

should john delaney step down or get the sack following his acceptance of the 5 million euro payment following the world cup qualifier against france. Surely delaney has played a part in fifa corruption. Blatter went today which is good for the world game. Delaney going would be good for the irish game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Nozebleed wrote: »
    should john delaney step down or get the sack following his acceptance of the 5 million euro payment following the world cup qualifier against france. Surely delaney has played a part in fifa corruption. Blatter went today which is good for the world game. Delaney going would be good for the irish game.

First I've heard. What exactly has happened? Delaney's not exactly a popular character as it is this will hardly do him any favours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

All football associations receive periodical funds from FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

should use anything possible to get rid of Delaney but it wont happen.He has surrounded himself with yes men and they wont rock the boat.
    Look what it has taken to get rid of Sepp ,I reckon JD is in a similar position within the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Delaney is there until he feels like stepping down. He got rid of any potential enemies in the FAI over the years. The only way Deleney will be ousted is if another Delaney like character comes along and that just brings Irish football back to square one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

We did well to get 5m out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

We did well to get 5m out of it.

Why keep quiet about it though. Where did this money go?

If Delaney came out at the time and said that they managed to get 5m and it would all be going in to grassroots, he would have come out of it looking like a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

doncarlos wrote: »
    Why keep quiet about it though. Where did this money go?

If Delaney came out at the time and said that they managed to get 5m and it would all be going in to grassroots, he would have come out of it looking like a hero.

It went into grassroots alright.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Really cant stand Delaney, thinks he a rock star. His wages are disgusting considering his Spainish and Italian counterparts are paid 150k pa., countries with far greater populations and footballing roots.

He swans around on 400k while the Premier Division winners get a measly 100k prize money, 250k split between the 12 teams.

He has done nothing for the Irish game at club level.

yabadabado wrote: »
    should use anything possible to get rid of Delaney but it wont happen.He has surrounded himself with yes men and they wont rock the boat.
    Look what it has taken to get rid of Sepp ,I reckon JD is in a similar position within the FAI.

We're a microcosm of FIFA really. Delaney is an embarrassment and a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nozebleed wrote: »
    What a laughable comment. If FIFA handed over €5M - then it went to the FAI, not directly into Delaney's pocket. Oh, and if we actually got €5M from FIFA, then Delaney has earned his salary several times over.

What a laughable comment. If FIFA handed over €5M - then it went to the FAI, not directly into Delaney's pocket. Oh, and if we actually got €5M from FIFA, then Delaney has earned his salary several times over.

Why isnt Delaney being 'transparent' about this five million though as he called for last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Surely I wasn't the only one at the time thinking the humiliating claims for a 33rd team at the WC or a replay against France, etc etc was little more than a plea for 'hush' money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

This is so deeply shameful to Irish soccer. :(

From 2012
    Angel Maria Villar, who is Spain’s football boss, earns €152,000 a year and the FA boss in Italy , Antonello Valentini is on a salary of €150,000, the Irish Daily Star reports today.
    Combined their annual salaries come to €302,000 – that’s €98,000 less than Mr Delaney (44) who earns €400,000 a year.

This is the man who appointed Steve Staunton btw.

From 2012
    Angel Maria Villar, who is Spain’s football boss, earns €152,000 a year and the FA boss in Italy , Antonello Valentini is on a salary of €150,000, the Irish Daily Star reports today.
    Combined their annual salaries come to €302,000 – that’s €98,000 less than Mr Delaney (44) who earns €400,000 a year.

This is the man who appointed Steve Staunton btw.

I think its a total disaster that our CEO gets that much and yet our league champions only get around a third of it. Utterly shameful stuff. Compare him further to Philip Browne who has overseen a renaissance in Irish Rugby both club and international on a third of the salary also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I think its a total disaster that our CEO gets that much and yet our league champions only get around a third of it. Utterly shameful stuff. Compare him further to Philip Browne who has overseen a renaissance in Irish Rugby both club and international on a third of the salary also

This seems to be common knowledge; but has Delaney ever been asked to justify his high wages in relation to other heads of football associations and in comparison to the league prize money?

Would be genuinely interested in how he could try and spin it so that his wages sound like being value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Well, he has to work week-ends, so that's part of it.
    “The board of the association came to me recently and said would I commit to a longer term period. And I’m happy to do so. While I have the support of the members and the energy to do the job, I’ll stay and do the job.
    “It’s a great job to have, I love the job, no question about that. But it is a 24/7 job, weekends as well.”

He could have gotten paid three times his salary elsewhere, don't you know
    "I was offered a job three times the salary that I'm currently on, and that's a fact.

"I didn't take the job, I didn't want the job. I'm very happy in this job.

Also, he has singlehandedly increased turnover from 7m to 40m during his tenure, so he's worth it
    "I think the turnover of the FAI in the mid-90s, 1996,97, was about seven million euros. Last year it was north of 40 million euros.

Also, stop talking about his wages, you sour-graper
    "We are in a tough economy here in Ireland at the moment and anybody who is on a big salary is going to grab media attention."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Delaney for FIFA president. you heard it here first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

rob316 wrote: »
    Really cant stand Delaney, thinks he a rock star. His wages are disgusting considering his Spainish and Italian counterparts are paid 150k pa., countries with far greater populations and footballing roots.

From 2012

The salary isn't the issue people make it out to be, theoretically the head of the FAI should actually be paid more than the head of the Spanish or Italian FAs. Its the logic that a struggling failing heavily indebted business needs to pay a premium to get the best people, whilst conversely the Spanish FA runs so seamlessly that it doesn't need anyone special to run it.

Whether JD is the 'best people' is of course hugely open to doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Would hardly be going ape **** at him over his wages.

It's a systemic Irish problem, that we pay way over the top for CEO's and high level executives in Government, public sector, and organisations that receive public funding. Sure look at the charity CEO's and the six figure salaries they earn.

It's hangover from the boom, and like all the rest his salary will eventually be wittled down, either after he leaves, or while he is there. That he lines pockets of his board that happily keep nodding along to him, is actually on the same level (albeit smaller scale) as Blatter. I saw Blatter being defended this week at how he "spread the wealth to emerging economies and growing football nations". I think you have to be wildly nieve to believe that was the case, and not Blatter providing funding to smaller footballing nations in return for their support, and his consolidation of power. That a lot of that money went into football assosiations executives pockets rather then into football, is hardly surprising.

John Delaney being paid 400k a year, as the head of the FAI, you can only laugh. Good old Ireland.

Domestic league pretty embarrasing to watch, void of quality and entertainment and can't shift any TV rights, or put in place any sound financial structure.
    National team tumbling down the ranks, successive poor managerial appointments, no light at the end of the tunnel regarding youth prospects.
    Irish players flagging badly abroad.

That the head of a failing organisation should be handsomely rewarded, I dunno.

Then again, as he said himself, someone else is responsible for the Domestic league and the national team. In a radio interview on Newstalk with Pat Kenny, he indicated that the national team was
    less then one percent of my focus and energy. There is more to running an association then the national team, and it's not where my focus and efforts go.

before some months later then saying to Johnathan Healy on Newstalk lunchtime
    The domestic league is a minute fraction of where I place my focus and work. The league has a league commision and they run and administer the league, it really doesn't fall under my remit and I don't influence or focus my attention there

And considering grass roots and "coaching" is non existent, pretty much all of his time goes into securing funding and sponsorship to generate revenue, which goes into pockets of those around him, who keep lending his support.

That the head of the FAI can so openly state the national team and national league are of no concern, should have been grounds for dismissal and an evaluation taken on the state of the FAI. To be honest surprised that me, no real passion for the national team and no interest in the LOI, got really vexed by those two statements, and those who are always harping on about the LOI and national team, did nothing to object.

• Advertisement

The salary isn't the issue people make it out to be, theoretically the head of the FAI should actually be paid more than the head of the Spanish or Italian FAs. Its the logic that a struggling failing heavily indebted business needs to pay a premium to get the best people, whilst conversely the Spanish FA runs so seamlessly that it doesn't need anyone special to run it.

Whether JD is the 'best people' is of course hugely open to doubt.

That is such a wildly inaccurate statement I don't know where to start.

Spanish FA initiated a breathtaking coaching programme in Spain, that consisted from grass roots up to La Liga based teams, with coaches and managers sharing information and knowledge downward through acadamies to create a knowledge base for kids to be coached.

The result of the good work done in the Spanish FA has been consecutive victories in Euros, World Cup and Euros again. They have created a foundation and base that enables top quality Spanish youths to develop and grow both with national acamadies and also placement in club acadamies. They have also grown the La Liga brand into a pretty big powerhouse, where they contain two of the biggest clubs in the world. Of which operate in a bracket above anyone in England. (Barca, Bayern and Real can easily pry players from United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, rarely other way around).

The Italian FA have been working HARD to eradicate and remove corrupt officials and staff, while also trying to bring Serie A back to it's level of glory in past decades( and slowly but surely doing it) while also having their own programmes for youth developement and grass roots. While also tackling massive issues of racism, hardcore violent fangroups, and corruption.

How long has John Delaney been head of the FAI? What exactly are his accomplishments? A new stadium built with massive debt, resulting in inflated tickets to see a national team not worth paying a tenner to watch. Reduced funding to satellite clubs, erosion of infrastructure, maintaining cronyism with large funding going to certain clubs, no national programme for developement, no national strategy, no domestic league strategy.

That the best chance of a youth player moving on is still "Who does you Da know" or is your club fashionable, is a damning state to how the Irish game is decades out of sync with Europe.

It's actually embarrassing imo that he gets such airtime across foreign media as being some key member of UEFA. Most UEFA countries have gone through MASSIVE strategic implementations in order to improve their domestic game, national team, and youth development, the FAI has done absolutely nothing of note, nothing. Getting in a Dutch coach and putting him as head of development, does not constitute doing something, if he doesn't get the resources and license to implement change.

What I'd really like to see, is John Delaney being brought up in front of PAC(Public Accounts Commitee) to answer a few question about strategy, achievements, and where public funding has gone.

The FAI public funding isn't outragous, the GAA get much more (separate argument and beef I have with that) but it can still be substantial, but they utilise local council and government grant schemes. So there is some significant public expenditure in Irish football.

As receivers of public funding, they fall under the remit of PAC.

Would be nice to have him questioned about plans for the future, and what has been achieved thus far, as it seems like the FAI rarely to ever go through a retrospective review so fans and the public know if things are going well, or if things have flopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

TheDoc wrote: »
    What I'd really like to see, is John Delaney being brought up in front of PAC(Public Accounts Commitee) to answer a few question about strategy, achievements, and where public funding has gone.

The FAI public funding isn't outragous, the GAA get much more (separate argument and beef I have with that) but it can still be substantial, but they utilise local council and government grant schemes. So there is some significant public expenditure in Irish football.

As receivers of public funding, they fall under the remit of PAC.

Would be nice to have him questioned about plans for the future, and what has been achieved thus far, as it seems like the FAI rarely to ever go through a retrospective review so fans and the public know if things are going well, or if things have flopped.

Well for starters they got €191m of public money towards the Aviva stadium(granted that includes the IRFU).

TheDoc wrote: »
    That is such a wildly inaccurate statement I don't know where to start.

Spanish FA initiated a breathtaking coaching programme in Spain, that consisted from grass roots up to La Liga based teams, with coaches and managers sharing information and knowledge downward through acadamies to create a knowledge base for kids to be coached.

The result of the good work done in the Spanish FA has been consecutive victories in Euros, World Cup and Euros again. They have created a foundation and base that enables top quality Spanish youths to develop and grow both with national acamadies and also placement in club acadamies. They have also grown the La Liga brand into a pretty big powerhouse, where they contain two of the biggest clubs in the world. Of which operate in a bracket above anyone in England. (Barca, Bayern and Real can easily pry players from United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, rarely other way around).

The Italian FA have been working HARD to eradicate and remove corrupt officials and staff, while also trying to bring Serie A back to it's level of glory in past decades( and slowly but surely doing it) while also having their own programmes for youth developement and grass roots. While also tackling massive issues of racism, hardcore violent fangroups, and corruption.

How long has John Delaney been head of the FAI? What exactly are his accomplishments? A new stadium built with massive debt, resulting in inflated tickets to see a national team not worth paying a tenner to watch. Reduced funding to satellite clubs, erosion of infrastructure, maintaining cronyism with large funding going to certain clubs, no national programme for developement, no national strategy, no domestic league strategy.

That the best chance of a youth player moving on is still "Who does you Da know" or is your club fashionable, is a damning state to how the Irish game is decades out of sync with Europe.

It's actually embarrassing imo that he gets such airtime across foreign media as being some key member of UEFA. Most UEFA countries have gone through MASSIVE strategic implementations in order to improve their domestic game, national team, and youth development, the FAI has done absolutely nothing of note, nothing. Getting in a Dutch coach and putting him as head of development, does not constitute doing something, if he doesn't get the resources and license to implement change.

Ruud Dokters appointment was a mere PR stunt. To be fair to Dokter he did recommend a radical overhaul but it looks as if that will be thrown in the dustbin.

Advertisement