Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mouse and keyboard sensitivity was all over the place in DS1 but apparently DS2 works great with KB+M.

Saying that, I'm tempted by the steam controller combo, it's a good price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wouldn't even try to use a kb/m for this kind of game, and that's from someone who is almost exclusively a pc gamer these days. A controller is far better.

As for DS3, i look forward to wanting to smash said controller at least 50 times over the next week or so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Dark Souls Movie coming soon!

https://www.bandainamcoentstore.com/product/398396/dark-souls-iii-the-movie-vhs
    Starring: General Chang, Nick "Go Nuts" O'Leary, J "Shaka Brah" Kartje, and special appearance by Micah "Got Keys" Geary

Only available in VHS though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

If it didn't have only on VHS it would have been more believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Wasn't that posted like a week ago? Probably got posted to early thought it was fanmade. But it was already done in Dark Souls 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Kiith wrote: »
    I wouldn't even try to use a kb/m for this kind of game, and that's from someone who is almost exclusively a pc gamer these days. A controller is far better.

Well as someone who used a controller my whole life I found it worth it to try out KB/M even on gamepad designed games now and then. Dragon's Dogma, Killer is Dead and MGSV are improved by it a lot in my experience to the point where I frown at the idea of having to use a gamepad for them now - hence why I disregard the notion that KB/M should be ignored for... reasons. If it's on PC it deserves attention to KB/M as very viable input method. We expect games to work pretty damn well and with considerations for gamepads when they're on a console.

Pfft, the game can be completed in less than 2 hours, pre-order cancelled.

The link is spoiler free.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,168 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Evade wrote: »
    Pfft, the game can be completed in less than 2 hours, pre-order cancelled.

The link is spoiler free.

Was wondering how the hell someone beat DSII in 16 minutes, then I watched the video.

Clipping through the entire game world isn't beating it.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Was wondering how the hell someone beat DSII in 16 minutes, then I watched the video.

That's an any-percent speedrun, though. Is that was DaS3's record has been set from... or normal (but fast) play?

J. Marston wrote: »

I felt the same way when I first encountered the speed running community, but glitching out games to finish them is seen as normal in that scene. I wouldn't bother to speed run a game myself and don't watch such things on twitch, but the scene is pretty big and they do some good work for charity.

• Advertisement

That's an any-percent speedrun, though. Is that was DaS3's record has been set from... or normal (but fast) play?
    I haven't actually watched the video because of spoilers but it's listed as an all bosses run which allows glitching.

There's a few no glitch Dark Souls 2 any % runs that clock in at just under an hour so it's possible there's no glitching.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,255 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Has there been a souls game that cant be beaten in under 2 hours? Demon souls maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well as someone who used a controller my whole life I found it worth it to try out KB/M even on gamepad designed games now and then. Dragon's Dogma, Killer is Dead and MGSV are improved by it a lot in my experience to the point where I frown at the idea of having to use a gamepad for them now - hence why I disregard the notion that KB/M should be ignored for... reasons. If it's on PC it deserves attention to KB/M as very viable input method. We expect games to work pretty damn well and with considerations for gamepads when they're on a console.

You can put on mitten gloves and try to knit that way, but it won't be best way of knitting.

My point is that some games work better with one or another controller method. I am pc gamer for the last 20 years and I love my keyboard and mouse, but it does not mean it's answer to everything.

Tried driving games with keyboard and mouse? There is option to do it, but it sucks balls. Controller or steering wheel is better.
    Platformers can be played with keyboard and mouse, but controller will be a lot better for it.
    Then we have strategy games who work waaaaay better with mouse and keyboard, then with controller.

My point is, that there will be option to play dark souls 3 with keyboard and mouse, but it won't be good, because game mechanics are best played with controller. To make keyboard and mouse good for dark souls they would need to change its mechanics and God forbid I don't want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Has there been a souls game that cant be beaten in under 2 hours? Demon souls maybe?

All the games can be beaten in under an hour, but rely on glitching.

You can put on mitten gloves and try to knit that way, but it won't be best way of knitting.

My point is that some games work better with one or another controller method. I am pc gamer for the last 20 years and I love my keyboard and mouse, but it does not mean it's answer to everything.

Tried driving games with keyboard and mouse? There is option to do it, but it sucks balls. Controller or steering wheel is better.
    Platformers can be played with keyboard and mouse, but controller will be a lot better for it.
    Then we have strategy games who work waaaaay better with mouse and keyboard, then with controller.

And my point is that Dark Souls isn't exactly one of those games that's balls with KB/M like driving games are because there's similar games like DaS it that I've found to become better with KB/M despite being gamepad designed like Killer is Dead and Dragon's Dogma.

It's a real popular thing to say "Oh you need a gamepad for that game" for many games I've seen where it's actually not even ideal.( I try many of them, I have a few gamepads on my desk almost all the time.) Whether that's the case with DaS3 is yet to be seen, though - and I won't be playing it anytime soon to find outmyself.
    To make keyboard and mouse good for dark souls they would need to change its mechanics and God forbid I don't want that.

No, you really don't need to change a 3rd person game like DeS' mechanics to assign proper keybinding and consideration, especially with KB/M where it objectively has more options so it will almost never be the bottleneck in that genre unlike some games receiving limitations because of gamepads. Like the PS4 controller driver freezes when it detects two opposite stick directions because it's not supposed to be possible, making hitbox arcade 'sticks for FGs' now borked on that system. One of my friends plays Destiny on PS4 with a KB/M (odd thing he does to get it to work, even plays it on steam I don't even know how) and he found that out that hard way. Not that an FPS is similar in any way but it still shows the limitations of gamepads, at least on 8th gen or if nothing else, PS4.

DaS is not a driving game nor is it a platformer and I've played plenty similar games with KB/M. Gamepad is not objectively superior or even preferable for this genre or that kind of combat. It's preference or familiarity. Did anyone even check out that DMC4 webm I linked? I still play with a gamepad and consider myself a DMC combo enthusiast and can't even pull off the stuff that guy is doing in the webm with kb/m. I remember having to hold down circle on DS3 with my thumb, then move my index finger down to the right stick with a very odd claw-like grip... just so I could sprint and move the camera at the same time. This was back on Demon's Souls. An onlooker said that was the weirdest way she's ever seen someone hold a gamepad but show me a more comfortable way to sprint, turn the player character and move camera at the same time in DeS w/ a DS3 and I'll do it.

I ain't saying KB/M is superior for everything, it's not, hence why I own multiple gamepads (and would love to be able to afford wheels/flight sticks for such games) I just honestly don't think Souls games' genre and combat are objectively better for gamepad despite being made with it in mind primarily like other games have been. And who knows. DId they fix bow&arrows to not be terrible like they were in all the previous titles? If there's better ranged play and not extra thick hitboxes appearing off every surface (damn you DeS!) being quick with a bow might become a pretty interesting strategy that the game wasn't even designed around expecting. (successive headshots, anyone?)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

And my point is that Dark Souls isn't exactly one of those games that's balls with KB/M like driving games are because there's similar games like DaS it that I've found to become better with KB/M despite being gamepad designed like Killer is Dead and Dragon's Dogma.

It's a real popular thing to say "Oh you need a gamepad for that game" for many games I've seen where it's actually not even ideal.( I try many of them, I have a few gamepads on my desk almost all the time.) Whether that's the case with DaS3 is yet to be seen, though - and I won't be playing it anytime soon to find outmyself.

No, you really don't need to change a 3rd person game like DeS' mechanics to assign proper keybinding and consideration, especially with KB/M where it objectively has more options so it will almost never be the bottleneck in that genre unlike some games receiving limitations because of gamepads. Like the PS4 controller driver freezes when it detects two opposite stick directions because it's not supposed to be possible, making hitbox arcade 'sticks for FGs' now borked on that system. One of my friends plays Destiny on PS4 with a KB/M (odd thing he does to get it to work, even plays it on steam I don't even know how) and he found that out that hard way. Not that an FPS is similar in any way but it still shows the limitations of gamepads, at least on 8th gen or if nothing else, PS4.

DaS is not a driving game nor is it a platformer and I've played plenty similar games with KB/M. Gamepad is not objectively superior or even preferable for this genre or that kind of combat. It's preference or familiarity. Did anyone even check out that DMC4 webm I linked? I still play with a gamepad and consider myself a DMC combo enthusiast and can't even pull off the stuff that guy is doing in the webm with kb/m. I remember having to hold down circle on DS3 with my thumb, then move my index finger down to the right stick with a very odd claw-like grip... just so I could sprint and move the camera at the same time. This was back on Demon's Souls. An onlooker said that was the weirdest way she's ever seen someone hold a gamepad but show me a more comfortable way to sprint, turn the player character and move camera at the same time in DeS w/ a DS3 and I'll do it.

I ain't saying KB/M is superior for everything, it's not, hence why I own multiple gamepads (and would love to be able to afford wheels/flight sticks for such games) I just honestly don't think Souls games' genre and combat are objectively better for gamepad despite being made with it in mind primarily like other games have been. And who knows. DId they fix bow&arrows to not be terrible like they were in all the previous titles? If there's better ranged play and not extra thick hitboxes appearing off every surface (damn you DeS!) being quick with a bow might become a pretty interesting strategy that the game wasn't even designed around expecting. (successive headshots, anyone?)

Short answer: Dark souls is not like other games. It is heavily reliant on lock on target then movement and actions around locked on target. So benefits of free movement and look that mouse and keyboard gives is useless and make it more awkward then beneficial.

In the end, when it's on pc, everyone can play with whatever they want, even guitar hero controller of they want. I know which ever platform I'll choose I'll play with controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Strangely quiet in here today...
    Seems to be scoring well in reviews with one or two mentioning that some of the bosses are a bit underwhelming and gimmicky but over all a good conclusion to the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Is it worth buying the Season pass for this? I loathe buying things like that but I bought the Prepare to Die version and Scholar of the First Sin versions of Dark Souls 1 & 2 so didn't have to buy the DLC separately and the extra content for both games were great. How much value is to be gained with the Season Pass? What would the likely savings be over buying the 2 DLC's separately on release?

weiland79 wrote: »
    Strangely quiet in here today...
    Seems to be scoring well in reviews with one or two mentioning that some of the bosses are a bit underwhelming and gimmicky but over all a good conclusion to the trilogy.

I finished the game over the weekend and I think the boss's are some of the best in the series. Some cool nods to the previous games there too.

The Polygon review makes a point about the level design not being as good as before but a lot of that can be put down the the familiarity to the struture of the game world. You tend to enter a new area, go down a path that eventually loops back on itself, opening a handy shortcut.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,386 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Disappointed to hear the world isn't as interconnected as DS1 but at least it's better than 2.

Read EG and IGN reviews, both extremely positive.

Excited now.

Still haven't played old hunters yet!!

Funny framerate issues in both reviews but both were PC. Obviously I'm sure it's also and issue for consoles.

• Advertisement

Is it worth buying the Season pass for this? I loathe buying things like that but I bought the Prepare to Die version and Scholar of the First Sin versions of Dark Souls 1 & 2 so didn't have to buy the DLC separately and the extra content for both games were great. How much value is to be gained with the Season Pass? What would the likely savings be over buying the 2 DLC's separately on release?

Maybe wait till they reveal what DLC is in store before buying it.

As far as value for money is concerned the base game trumps the DLC in all previous cases of Dark Souls/Borne DLC. But in general people want more Dark Souls and will shell out the cash for the extra content, myself included. You could always wait and pick up the inevitable Premium version in about a year from now.

FromSoft do DLC really really well, its top quality stuff and they don't price gouge their customers. If there is one company i would buy a season pass from without knowing what the content is, it would be FromSoft

I finished the game over the weekend and I think the boss's are some of the best in the series. Some cool nods to the previous games there too.

The Polygon review makes a point about the level design not being as good as before but a lot of that can be put down the the familiarity to the struture of the game world. You tend to enter a new area, go down a path that eventually loops back on itself, opening a handy shortcut.

I generally don't read reviews of games I know I will end up buying but couldn't help myself with this game, I admit I did skim them so as not to get too exposed to it but the level design was the common thing among the 3 I read. One mentioned it was even less interconnected than DS2 which was something I didn't like in it but none said that was an especially bad thing here and that the actual areas themselves are great and it makes the game appear bigger than DS1.

Roll on next week, I've been prepared to die too long at this point :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've read there are some major frame rate issues towards end game on all platforms. Hope it's not Blightown bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I read a couple of lines from Eurogamer review and it was still too much info. Not gonna look at any more and just wait for next week. Really looking forward to getting stuck in.

Kiith wrote: »
    I've read there are some major frame rate issues towards end game on all platforms. Hope it's not Blightown bad.

It's not Blighttown bad on PS4 anyway. Just slight stuttering, nothing that will hamper your gameplay.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,255 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

For those who have played it or are in the know, how does the matchmaking work this time around? Have they ditched that awful Soul Memory system from DS2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Mickeroo wrote: »
    For those who have played it or are in the know, how does the matchmaking work this time around? Have they ditched that awful Soul Memory system from DS2?

Yeah I think so, thankfully. I read somewhere that it's based on soul level and weapon level now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yeah I think so, thankfully. I read somewhere that it's based on soul level and weapon level now.

Ah that's great news, I know it was easier to gank people in DS1 but I'd take that over how DS2 ended up with everyone having all stats maxed.

• Advertisement

I skipped to the end of the PCGamer review and it was enough for me to get this, there is no spoiler in the short synopsis but I'll tag it anyway because you guys are nuts :p
    Sprawling level design, thrilling combat, and masterful indirect storytelling make Dark Souls 3 the best Dark Souls yet.

Advertisement