Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

beat the first boss after 15 or so trys :( (have never played DS before). very satisfying. each time i did a bit better, figured out stuff that worked and stuff that didn't.

i'm using keyboard and mouse and the fighting is fine, it's the menu and action options that are a pain in the tits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Took about 5 tries to get on the servers at first, I'd say they were gettting hammered. After that there was no problems.

PC port so far seems fantastic. No issues, max settings and consistent 60 fps on a i5 and 970 GTX. So glad I didn't go console with this, it plays so much better in 60 fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

That tree boss was so not fun.

I didn't realise you had to fast travel the first area for ages. I've thoroughly explored the tutorial area anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'll no doubt be onto you for help at some stage soon, haha.

If I can help I will but may be more a bit more difficult now with me being in the Oz timezone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

So for those that have played it, how is it? The posts above are positive but checking steam reviews the game is getting mostly positive reviews, anything negative seems to be in regards really bad performance or constant crashes with save file corruptions. Anyone got that so far?

Edit: FYI am referring to the PC version.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

A lot of posts over on Reddit about the game crashing (PC) at the first bonfire unless you are the Knight starting class wearing the starter helmet. Appears to be something to do with a bug in the lighting engine. Changing lighting settings to low seems to help some people too. Hopefully the patch is incoming, going to leave playing it until the weekend.

Not listing on a search on argos site :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I beat the first boss on my first try last the night, with a fraction of my health left. Was very satisfying :) Had already been slaughted by the
    crystal thing in the tutorial area though, and then met the naked katana dude[/quote] and called it a night :o

Started with a Thief class, as i figured i'd use the bow quite a bit. Rolls are good, but definitely need to get used to it again. I'm constantly rolling straight backwards, which is a terrible idea most of the times.

Enjoying it so far anyway.
    Cravez wrote: »
    So for those that have played it, how is it? The posts above are positive but checking steam reviews the game is getting mostly positive reviews, anything negative seems to be in regards really bad performance or constant crashes with save file corruptions. Anyone got that so far?

Edit: FYI am referring to the PC version.

I played for about 40 minutes last night, and it's running well. Had to bump it down to 1920x1080 as it was a bit slow any higher (my specs aren't that high anymore). Looks pretty damn good, and it's great to play it in 60fps. No crashes of corrupted saves...that i know of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

I played for about 40 minutes last night, and it's running well. Had to bump it down to 1920x1080 as it was a bit slow any higher (my specs aren't that high anymore). Looks pretty damn good, and it's great to play it in 60fps. No crashes of corrupted saves...that i know of yet.

What is your GPU and how much Ram are you running? A lot of reports coming from nvidia gtx 6xx and gtx 7xx series owners. Seems the game is memory hungry too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 flabee113

Spamming F5 waiting for it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

_Puma_ wrote: »
    What is your GPU and how much Ram are you running? A lot of reports coming from nvidia gtx 6xx and gtx 7xx series owners. Seems the game is memory hungry too.

I've an R9 290 and 8gb ram. Running it on an SSD, which may help.

I've heard it runs worse later in the game, but it'll probably be months before i get that far :p

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thegame983

kevovek wrote: »
    Still waiting for my key probably won't be getting stuck in till tomorrow unless it arrives soon

You talkign about CD keys? I didn't get an email, but the key was in my cd keys account under my orders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

thegame983 wrote: »
    You talkign about CD keys? I didn't get an email, but the key was in my cd keys account under my orders

Nah it was kinguin literally just got it after opening a ticket downloading now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

My PS4 copy from the Game Collection was delivered today.
    Didnt go Parcel Motel. I chose the "European Delivery - £2 per standard item" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm running a 290 with 8gb RAM like Kiith with max settings, 60fps at 1080p

Initial boss is freaking hard as deprived

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

flabee113 wrote: »

It won't be listed for another 3 days or so. Was just into the Argos in the lilac centre in dublin city and it's locked on their nationwide system. Manager had to call a few people till she finally took the cash off me. You want it you have to go in a talk to em.

62 euro by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 29,828 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My PS4 copy from the Game Collection was delivered today.
    Didnt go Parcel Motel. I chose the "European Delivery - £2 per standard item" option.

Mine just arrived as well. 42.70 euro incl delivery, happy out.

Cheers to the lads who recommended that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

flabee113 wrote: »

What's scaring me is that if you search Argos for "Dark Souls", it shows SotFS but also a brand of digital photo frame. The photo frame doesn't show up if you search for "dark" or "souls" independently, just "dark souls"... What the hell is in that photo frame!
    It won't be listed for another 3 days or so. Was just into the Argos in the lilac centre in dublin city and it's locked on their nationwide system. Manager had to call a few people till she finally took the cash off me. You want it you have to go in a talk to em.

62 euro by the way

Gah, thanks for the update. I'm just going to pay €65 in Smyths instead of going through that hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    What's scaring me is that if you search Argos for "Dark Souls", it shows SotFS but also a brand of digital photo frame. The photo frame doesn't show up if you search for "dark" or "souls" independently, just "dark souls"... What the hell is in that photo frame!

Gah, thanks for the update. I'm just going to pay €65 in Smyths instead of going through that hassle.

Aye. If the store you go to doesn't know what the story is they gonna be ringing head office and such to confirm they can sell it. Could be waiting a bit as I was there about 25mins. Only stuck around cause I had a 20 euro voucher.

Got some munchies and on the way home now to be consumed by the Dark.....by closing the curtains. Cause it's to bright. On my screen. To...play the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭recyclops

so my very first venture into dark souls, guy who i game share with is a huge fan
    ive so far done too the second "boss" i spent at least 20 attempts to kill the ice guy which pretty much made me good enough to beat the second one on the first go :)

i can see i will enjoy this though like movement and the feel of it. One thing the counter down the bottom that resets when i die, what is it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

recyclops wrote: »
    so my very first venture into dark souls, guy who i game share with is a huge fan
    ive so far done too the second "boss" i spent at least 20 attempts to kill the ice guy which pretty much made me good enough to beat the second one on the first go :)

i can see i will enjoy this though like movement and the feel of it. One thing the counter down the bottom that resets when i die, what is it for?

i have not played it yet, but by counter do you mean souls ?

Just getting ready to go and I spotted a password field in the settings? Surely they can't have made getting paired with friends that simple? Great if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

Mr Bloat wrote: »

No hassle in my argos. I did pay at the self serve thing if that might make a difference

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I dabbled with DS1 when it was released first on pc but couldn't stand the locked 30 fps so I didn't bother, granted a mod unlocked it soon after but by then I was knee deep in other stuff.
    Is it recommended to complete DS1 and DS2 before playing DS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Dcully wrote: »
    I dabbled with DS1 when it was released first on pc but couldn't stand the locked 30 fps so I didn't bother, granted a mod unlocked it soon after but by then I was knee deep in other stuff.

no, but you might enjoy them more before before playing DS3 as it can be hard to go back and play games that are inferior graphic wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thegame983

Dcully wrote: »

No need. The story is so obtuse and not at the forefront that it doesn't matter.

However it is quite interesting so I would recomend watching a quick video on youtube to get you set.

If you do enjoy DS3 then yeah definitly go back and play at least the first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Id play the first two first - Scholar of the First sin is a stellar port for DS2 (and the bundled DLC areas are superb) and DSFix sorts out the 30fps lock for the first with very little hassle. They're both, the first especially, superb games and I've heard the new one brings together some of the ideas and story strands in a way best appreciated by those who've played the others.

Looking forward cracking into this later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Agree with Johnny Ultimate - Both DS1 and DS2 are excellent games. A lot of people say that 2 isn't as good as 1 but I enjoyed both of them immensely. I got both for €30 in a Steam sale and have put about 300 hours into them. The lore of the universe itself is great and having some knowledge of it would make DS3 a bit more exciting. You certainly could get away with not playing them before starting 3 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

just nipped home, about a 1.2 gb update straight away, so that should be done soon, think i'll take half day today !!!

Advertisement