Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

So just loaded up, finally got keyboard setup the way i want (doesn't help that all in game hints are for controllers, is it that hard to recode that?) but now I have a problem that I dont remember from DS2... keep losing lock on target.

Am fighting the first non easy guy in the tutorial area and if i back away too far the lock on just cancels and turns me around. Is there a way to disable that? Without that problem that first non easy fight might be a bit easier :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

BKtje wrote: »
    So just loaded up, finally got keyboard setup the way i want (doesn't help that all in game hints are for controllers, is it that hard to recode that?) but now I have a problem that I dont remember from DS2... keep losing lock on target.

That's something i noticed a lot more last night. Seems to be easier to lose the lock then in previous games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Maybe just something to get used to, rebound lock on so easy to reaquire and that first non easy guy went down easily :pac:

recyclops wrote: »
    so my very first venture into dark souls, guy who i game share with is a huge fan
    ive so far done too the second "boss" i spent at least 20 attempts to kill the ice guy which pretty much made me good enough to beat the second one on the first go :)

i can see i will enjoy this though like movement and the feel of it. One thing the counter down the bottom that resets when i die, what is it for?

That counter is essentially the currency of the game which is gained by killing enemies (called souls). It doubles up as experience as you spend it mostly on leveling up. If you die, you lose all your souls but they can be retrieved if you travel back to where you died; there will be a green pick up where you died.

I would recommend constantly going back to level up as soon as you have enough souls. Losing them constantly is the biggest frustration in this game. It sounds like you haven't reached the bonfire where you can level up yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I haven't played a From Software game yet. I've read all about how insanely difficult they are but I'd like to have a go. I'm only getting back into gaming after a long break so I'm a bit intimidated by how complex and sophisticated these games appear to be. Anyway, do you think I should pick up Dark Souls 3 or am I better off starting with Bloodborne, which is half the price?

• Advertisement

1st boss question / game mechanic questions -
    After the first boss, i got a buff of some sort (icon by my health bar and a flame type effect on my body), but lost it when i died to the naked katana ****er...what was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

pickpocket - if you're not sure you like this type of game then defo go with the 50% price one.
    Be prepared to grind to make it anywhere and walk away when you get frustrated - frustration leads to death - which in extreme circumstances can cost you ALL of your experience and leave you stuck with an underpowered character...

You'll either love these games or hate them - I don't think there's a middle ground...

Kiith wrote: »
    After the first boss, i got a buff of some sort (icon by my health bar and a flame type effect on my body), but lost it when i died to the naked katana ****er...what was that?

Think it was
    an ember - the buffs stay with you until you die again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Kiith wrote: »
    Its ember, its basically the human form of this game. Not sure, but it seems to be a 75% health lock when 'hollow' so to speak. You find a few hard items called Ember in the next area, to regain it. All I've seen is that you have extra health and can summon when embered. The golden box in the corner where humanity used to be looked more orange when you're embered, that's the giveaway.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I haven't played a From Software game yet. I've read all about how insanely difficult they are but I'd like to have a go. I'm only getting back into gaming after a long break so I'm a bit intimidated by how complex and sophisticated these games appear to be. Anyway, do you think I should pick up Dark Souls 3 or am I better off starting with Bloodborne, which is half the price?

They aren't insanely hard, just pretty difficult. You don't need to be an A standard gamer to beat them, just willing to change your gaming style and be willing to die a lot until the game clicks with you.

None of my roommates would have been hardcore gamers by any count, one plays almost exclusively Pokemon and Zelda, the other COD, and both persevered (with advice in fairness), and fell totally in love with Bloodborne after a few hours.

Go with Bloodborne I'd say, the whole mechanics of the game and strategies for every boss are already out there, whereas the kinks are still being worked out with this, so it'll basically be a lot easier if you hit a wall. Bloodborne is easier than the Dark Souls games IMO, I think most would agree to that, and its got more fun combat.

The community in it is pretty dead, which I was sad to find out but you'll still be able to find a boardsie to help you, if this is a hit then the DS3 community should be around for a while. Dark Souls still has about 5,000 players at any one time on Steam.
    Just getting ready to go and I spotted a password field in the settings? Surely they can't have made getting paired with friends that simple? Great if so.

Yep, carried that mechanic from Bloodborne, its great

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    pickpocket - if you're not sure you like this type of game then defo go with the 50% price one.
    Be prepared to grind to make it anywhere and walk away when you get frustrated - frustration leads to death - which in extreme circumstances can cost you ALL of your experience and leave you stuck with an underpowered character...

You'll either love these games or hate them - I don't think there's a middle ground...

Thanks for that.

I enjoy a degree of handholding in a game. The more stressful a game is the less likely I am to complete it. That doesn't bode very well but I simply have to try one of them. I've looked at plenty of footage online and the sense of atmosphere looks incredible.

It is - the sense of exploration and even later when you revisit a location and wonder why it was so difficult the first time around, not kidding there are sections that seem impossible the first few times but hours later you just stroll through them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Long shot here but anyone not want the dark souls 1 code that comes with the xbox one game? I want to try a dark souls gamebefore getting this and it would be perfect. I can trade some steam games etc. for it. Missed it when it was free a while back :(

Taltos wrote: »
    It is - the sense of exploration and even later when you revisit a location and wonder why it was so difficult the first time around, not kidding there are sections that seem impossible the first few times but hours later you just stroll through them...

That's encouraging. At least you're rewarded for your progress. There's nothing worse than when the environment feels artificially rigged so as you never feel empowered.

They aren't insanely hard, just pretty difficult. You don't need to be an A standard gamer to beat them, just willing to change your gaming style and be willing to die a lot until the game clicks with you.

None of my roommates would have been hardcore gamers by any count, one plays almost exclusively Pokemon and Zelda, the other COD, and both persevered (with advice in fairness), and fell totally in love with Bloodborne after a few hours.

Go with Bloodborne I'd say, the whole mechanics of the game and strategies for every boss are already out there, whereas the kinks are still being worked out with this, so it'll basically be a lot easier if you hit a wall. Bloodborne is easier than the Dark Souls games IMO, I think most would agree to that, and its got more fun combat.

The community in it is pretty dead, which I was sad to find out but you'll still be able to find a boardsie to help you, if this is a hit then the DS3 community should be around for a while. Dark Souls still has about 5,000 players at any one time on Steam.

Yep, carried that mechanic from Bloodborne, its great

Great advice. Getting excited now!

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I enjoy a degree of handholding in a game. The more stressful a game is the less likely I am to complete it. That doesn't bode very well but I simply have to try one of them. I've looked at plenty of footage online and the sense of atmosphere looks incredible.

The boss fights are pretty stressful when they hit about 25% health, but the satisfaction when you beat one is like no other

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

First boss beaten without dying, a Soulsborne first for me.

And then I fell off a ledge.

Evade wrote: »
    First boss beaten without dying, a Soulsborne first for me.

I guess you "Evaded" the right way :p

Got him my second attempt, after changing direction he was much easier to dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Evade wrote: »
    And then I fell off a ledge.

Hah. The roll seems to go really far in this game, i already died twice from underestimating the distance of my roll.

Got to what seems like the HUB area and i love the feel of it. The candles around the place give a feeling of hope to an area carved of black stone. Started as deprived and (Weapon Spoilers)
    the first weapon drop i got was the Uchigatana! Don't have the stats to use it just yet but judging from previous games Katanas tend to be some of the more powerful weapons in the game

Back to Lothric now ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone else get mauled by that guy
    to the left of firelink up the steps
    should have known he was more more dangerous than he looked :mad:

....but then he fell off a cliff :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Just got my copy delivered to work. Started with Bloodborne myself when I got the PS4 but have been trying out DS2 on the PC there over the last week or so. Looking forward to giving this a bash though it might be a few days before I have some time

Anyone else get mauled by that guy
    to the left of firelink up the steps
    should have known he was more more dangerous than he looked :mad:

....but then he fell off a cliff :p
    Trying to get away from him was the reason I fell off a ledge.

How do I activate illusory walls? I've found two red notes saying there is one nearby yet I can't find anything

X and hitting them doesn't work, I'd say its lads acting the huer

Is this a hard game or am I just ****e? I'm not having a good time of it at all :/

Also, classic weapon related
    Uchigatana has a D scaling in Skill, what's that about

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,255 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just starting now, think I'll go with Mercenary as I typically run Dex builds. No wanderer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Played through the tutorial area and thought to myself "Ya, the reviews were right, it starts off relatively easy"

Then I teleport to the next area and get my ass handed to me throughout it. So the game is still tough anyway. I've beaten 2 bosses in total so far.

Loving the game. Find it to be surprisingly good looking on PS4, I didn't think it's look at good as Bloodborne but the environments are really detailed so happy with that. Trying to stick with my Bloodborne style now too by playing without a shield.

1st area after the tutorial was grand for about 3 minutes, until
    one of those regular guys spawned a giant mouth/face thing on his back and pretty much swallowed me whole
    . Ahh Dark Souls...how i've (not) missed you :P

I know Kiith - saw that and had a real flight or fight response. Yup you guessed it - I ran like fop out of there screaming in my head "oh god oh god". Not reacting like that anymore but the first time it was definitely fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

X and hitting them doesn't work, I'd say its lads acting the huer

Is this a hard game or am I just ****e? I'm not having a good time of it at all :/

Also, classic weapon related
    Uchigatana has a D scaling in Skill, what's that about

Don't weapon scaling increase as you reinforce the weapon?Like at +5 it might go from a D to a C. Was like that in previous games anyway

Put a message at the entrance to the HUB saying "Vision of this place again?" Got rated twice and gave me a handy estus when i needed it. Now as i rest at this bonfire my message has been rated 5 to 6 times while i type this. As i sit there resting, with max Estus :mad:

Advertisement