Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Got to the swamp, is the
    Cathedral Optional then? Also, Darkwraiths don't fück around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Folks,
    Think I've missed the Cathedral of the Deep, where is it? I've gone all through Farron Keep and the catacombs?

Folks,
    Think I've missed the Cathedral of the Deep, where is it? I've gone all through Farron Keep and the catacombs?

You've missed it
    Head to the Farron Keep bonfire, the first one, and up the stairs, out the door and keep going to the right, there's a bit of a fortress you go through, you'll find it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Got to the swamp, is the
    Cathedral Optional then? Also, Darkwraiths don't fück around

Could be optional alright as its a dead end, and there is nothing that thats required to venture forth into the Catacombs beyond Farron Keep.

I'm not getting summoned as
    A wolfbro to invade in the swamp :( Only happened once so far.
    Maybe people arn't going through in Ember form, or i'm just too high level :(

• Advertisement

Could be optional alright as its a dead end, and there is nothing that thats required to venture forth into the Catacombs beyond Farron Keep.

Spent ages hopping around and couldn't
    lift the bridge that patches drops when you're on so I assumed I had nothing left to do. This swamp is a disaster.

Hardest "boss" fight for me has definitely been the
    ice dude at the bottom of the tower (tower where that guy is throwing javelins from the roof). Only my special attack would stagger him. I would die if I got caught by his hits once usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I just noticed there's an opportunity for a bit of grinding with that dragon on the High Wall of Lothric. Is it worth spending much time at it? This is my first Souls game so I'm not sure how long to milk it for. Thanks.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I just noticed there's an opportunity for a bit of grinding with that dragon on the High Wall of Lothric. Is it worth spending much time at it? This is my first Souls game so I'm not sure how long to milk it for. Thanks.

I haven't found the need to grind anywhere, I've been levelling along nicely without much issue and fin enemy scaling fairly tailored to my own power. Generally with places like that I'd grind until its up on 4-5 runs a level, I just get bored at that stage

I haven't found the need to grind anywhere, I've been levelling along nicely without much issue and fin enemy scaling fairly tailored to my own power. Generally with places like that I'd grind until its up on 4-5 runs a level, I just get bored at that stage

Cool. I'm shockingly bad at games in general so I'm gonna take the easy road wherever I can. But as you say it will get boring eventually.

• Advertisement

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Cool. I'm shockingly bad at games in general so I'm gonna take the easy road wherever I can. But as you say it will get boring eventually.

The game itself gets boring if you push the grinding too far, combat becomes dull and when you come up against stronger enemies you don't know how to fight properly as you've been steamrolling up to this.

Though that normally takes 5-6 hours of grinding and pushing yourself to astronomical levels, if you're leaving Lothric at level 20-25 you'll be plenty strong to have no real trouble without being very OP I'd say

The game itself gets boring if you push the grinding too far, combat becomes dull and when you come up against stronger enemies you don't know how to fight properly as you've been steamrolling up to this.

I never thought of that actually. I want to beat the game but I quite like the terror of it all as well, so I definitely don't want to be overpowered. Cheers.

Whats the story with the crabs ? They flee when they get to low health :mad:

Waste of time fighting one there.

No worries, how are you finding it anyways? Always like hearing new players comments on Souls games.

I for one, loved it until Blighttown 3.0. Its an absolute dose, I agree with whoever said a Rusted Iron Ring would be handy.

For whoever has cleared the swamp
    Is there an actual riddlesqe thing to do or am I just fighting people until I leave the swamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

second boss down at last. had to level up 3 or 4 times before i finally beat him. stamina management really is key to this game. undead settlement seems a lot easier so far than the last one once i've built my stats a bit. been exploring bit by bit and not dying at all. i guess i'm getting used to the mechanics. no doubt i will be smashed soon enough repeatedly.

so infusing should only be done on weapons that don't scale is that right? it gives you a boost and that's as high as that weapon will go? i take it my weapon damage increases with my stats if it has attribute bonuses?

froog wrote: »
    so infusing should only be done on weapons that don't scale is that right? it gives you a boost and that's as high as that weapon will go? i take it my weapon damage increases with my stats if it has attribute bonuses?

In Dark Souls 2 some infusements kept scaling, or just reduced it so they might not all wipe out your scaling.

The attribute bonus is defined by the letter beside the Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence or Faith icon on its stat screen. E and D scaling is pretty much useless so infusions will be worth more than going off scaling on these weapons, C isn't great either but scaling improves as a weapon is levelled, so C commonly jumps to A, and B to S. B or A are still pretty good though.

The combat stats also have a softcap and hardcap, normally at 25 and 40 or 50, so there's no point putting points past 50 into a stat in almost all cases.

Oh so we're not doing a boss fog on every boss now :mad:

Oh so we're not doing a boss fog on every boss now :mad:

Massive double doors or big wide expanse with no enemies in sight almost always equals a boss fight in Souls, even as far back as the first game it was like this I'm pretty sure

Massive double doors or big wide expanse with no enemies in sight almost always equals a boss fight in Souls, even as far back as the first game it was like this I'm pretty sure

Some in this are like that but for
    Crystal Sage
    you have the fog seal you in before you know whats going on as it's almost round a blind corner

I've been summoned a few times so far today and no one at all I;ve seen is using anything other than knight/melee sword+shied set up. Saw one guy use a halberd and that was it.

No worries, how are you finding it anyways? Always like hearing new players comments on Souls games.

I've had a very busy two days. I asked on here yesterday whether I should start with DS3 or Bloodborne as my first From Software game. I ultimately went for the latter because it was half the price, so less of a risk if it wasn't for me.

So I put a few hours into BB. I found it very difficult, but I was rushing in as if I was playing Gears of War (despite being forewarned on how to play) and that's just not gonna work. So I've had to re-learn my standard approach to gaming, which is usually gung-ho with an assault rifle. I've been away from games for a while, bar the odd title, so I'm not great at games and I'm definitely not used to stuff like this.

Anyway, I'm sat there playing BB, trying my luck with the Cleric Beast, when my darling girlfriend arrives home with a copy of Dark Souls 3 (I'm out of work sick and she's trying to stop me from watching House of Cards without her). I tried as hard as I could but I just couldn't leave it in the drawer until I beat BB, which may never happen.

So I fired up DS as well! I think I'll stick with this for the time being although I'm not sure which one I prefer. I was surprised by how quickly I settled into DS despite having to adjust to a shield and the slightly slower attacks. I wouldn't call the game slow as such, but I find I'm having to take even more time to spot attack patterns, etc.

Overall I'm blown away by the two of them. They have different atmospheres yet there's a similar thread running through them both. DS has this ethereal quality which is really enhanced by the fantastic voice acting. It all feels so ancient and profound. I love that type of stuff.

BB feels more ominous and brooding, not unlike Resident Evil back in the day. That whole Central Yarnham area feels like it's just going to implode from the weight of itself. The feeling of walking across the bridge knowing something big was gonna happen, and then the Beast arrives! My adrenaline was pumping. Great stuff.

I've read plenty of articles about how the stories in these games have to be discovered rather than being force fed via cut-scenes. I'm excited by that because I feel that games often break down when they try to find the right balance between moving the story forward and actually allowing you to play the game. I'm not sure if there is a perfect balance and it looks like From Software have dealt with that problem by creating a whole new way of driving the story.

The main thing that will take some getting used to for me personally is the RPG elements. I'm not used to stat screens and upgrading weapons, etc. I even hate making substitutions in Pro Evo! The closest I've gotten to that before was some of the upgrades in The Last of Us, which is a very simple system compared to these games, especially DS by the looks of it.

I'm really gonna have to up my game to make significant progress in these games but I'm knocked out by the world-building on show here so hopefully I have the dexterity and perseverance required. They look and feel remarkable. I think I've just finally realised why I bought a PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

so twice i invaded someone and it was 3 v 1. how is that fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

One thing that is bothering me with boss fights is the volume, I know it adds to the atmosphere but does it have to nearly treble in loudness during the fight, seems worse this time around as well.

So mad summons are basically you picking a fight with someone. I found that out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

For whoever has cleared the swamp
    extinguish three flames

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Finding the abyss watchers tough, any tips and it also seems you can only summon 1pers as opposed to the usual 2, why is this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

When I first met
    siegward I just took the lift down and can't figure it out now, is the chance gone?

sweetie wrote: »
    When I first met
    siegward I just took the lift down and can't figure it out now, is the chance gone?

No, step on and step off and one to go up will come down.

You need / in that spoiler tag not \ :D

sweetie wrote: »
    extinguish three flames

Okay that's what I was wondering, thanks!

Now to figure out how to do that

froog wrote: »
    so twice i invaded someone and it was 3 v 1. how is that fair?

Invading is a dick move, get used to being screwed over if you want to push it. You're totally interrupting another players game, that's not really fair either :pac:

There's a covenant that allows you to drop an invasion sign (as a Mad Invader, as above) and you'll run into less gank squads that way. In DS2 I was had a couple of hundred fights as a summoned invader and only 10-20 gank squads

• Advertisement

talking and stuff

You mentioned earlier about raising the Bridge in the Cathedral. I couldn't find the lever to raise one of them, the middle one. I left it and ****ed off somewhere else but i wanna clear out the zone. Help? :rolleyes: Don't want to go on a wiki

Also regarding fog doors.....there is one so far i found.

Advertisement