Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm not happy with my build at all, I'm as far as
    Anor Londo
    I poured all my souls in strength and endurance , I used the axe for half the game but upgraded to the great axe. Its a powerful weapon but its just so friggin slow, I though increasing endurance would help and whilst it has a bit, its still much too slow . I'm considering ditching it and going with the standard longsword, I have seen a youtube video saying its the best meelee weapon in the game for such a bog standard weapon, would appreciate advice. How far am into the game am I anyway?

Not far behind me and I think I'm pretty far

Longswords are pretty underutilized, they're a really solid weapon, decent damage, decent speed and decent move set but I would have thought they'd accompany another style, like it was my melee weapon for all my Dark Souls sorcerers, but I've never done a longsword only build, there are normally better weapons in fairness.

You should be rolling in titanite by now, no harm in giving it a try.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,257 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anor Londo
    I poured all my souls in strength and endurance , I used the axe for half the game but upgraded to the great axe. Its a powerful weapon but its just so friggin slow, I though increasing endurance would help and whilst it has a bit, its still much too slow . I'm considering ditching it and going with the standard longsword, I have seen a youtube video saying its the best meelee weapon in the game for such a bog standard weapon, would appreciate advice. How far am into the game am I anyway?

Strength weapons are slow by nature for the most part, if you want fast you should go for a dex build. Most weapons are viable too so just stick with one you like and upgrade it.

You most be pretty far, I wasn't even aware
    anor londo is in this game
    . Bummed I read the spoiler now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

I've been using the Astora straight sword since I found it. It's at +7 now doing 219+49 (25 STR 20 DEX) and I can get 7 swings from a full stamina bar at 25 END.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Anor Londo

Your build is fine. Just don't use that weapon. It's a myth that you have to use big slow weapons with a strength build. You can go a little bit of dex up to the fast weapon you want to use, or you can pick a fast strength weapon.

For example, in my first DS2 run I went full strength and used a basic small club you find at the beginning for the entire game. It scaled S with strength and was super fast so I hit like a truck. The speed running community used it for months in their runs due to its speed and scaling.

The same applies here. Pick a longsword like you alluded to and just buff it. Or the butchers knife is mad fast and has A str scaling so that's a good option and what I'm using at the moment. I don't think it will last me the game, but its doing well so far.

Or you can go whats known as a "quality build". Buff str and dex equally. You have high str already so just pump some dex to match it. That will really make your longsword shine as it scales well with both stats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Kirby wrote: »
    Your build is fine. Just don't use that weapon. It's a myth that you have to use big slow weapons with a strength build. You can go a little bit of dex up to the fast weapon you want to use, or you can pick a fast strength weapon.

For example, in my first DS2 run I went full strength and used a basic small club you find at the beginning for the entire game. It scaled S with strength and was super fast so I hit like a truck. The speed running community used it for months in their runs due to its speed and scaling.

The same applies here. Pick a longsword like you alluded to and just buff it. Or the butchers knife is mad fast and has A str scaling so that's a good option and what I'm using at the moment. I don't think it will last me the game, but its doing well so far.

Or you can go whats known as a "quality build". Buff str and dex equally. You have high str already so just pump some dex to match it. That will really make your longsword shine as it scales well with both stats.

sold the long sword to the ol one in the shrine, does claymore uchigatana scale with strength too, which should I chose

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,257 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

RopeDrink wrote: »
    On previous page I mentioned considering starting over - which I did. I pushed my way to Vordt then decided to help a few people as Phantom to rack up extra souls before doing the boss myself. Soaped up right outside the door, but they headed:
    To the cathedral wench who gives you the banner. I always wondered why that room always had bloodstains in it despite there being no hostiles and just a chatty NPC... I soon found out why when I followed the host in there... One mean-ass looking banshee wench killed all three of us. I can only assume that the poor old dear who seemed 'helpful' is not as she seems - will figure it out for myself later as I progress. Either it's part of the story, or she goes batty if you attack her (I assume). Looked awesome either way.

Not sure if that is/isn't the second boss you mean but either way, was a nice surprise.

That's the one, I was exploring and stuck down a summon sign like yourself and was surprised when they headed elsewhere.

sold the long sword to the ol one in the shrine, does claymore uchigatana scale with strength too, which should I chose

Uchi has D scaling with Str which isn't great, I'm not sure about the claymore. It'll be viable but your damage will be nerfed until your Dex catches up, and then most of the Str points will be wasted if you stick with the Uchi

Uchi has D scaling with Str which isn't great, I'm not sure about the claymore. It'll be viable but your damage will be nerfed until your Dex catches up, and then most of the Str points will be wasted if you stick with the Uchi

He could heavy infuse the uchi to give it better str scaling, wouldn't be too bad then.

Has scaling been toned down? I haven't seen anything with higher than a C.

Evade wrote: »
    Has scaling been toned down? I haven't seen anything with higher than a C.

Maybe its because of heavy and sharp infusion being aby to raise the scale level, so possibly the only way to get A or S is by infusion.

• Advertisement

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Calex%20dEUS/video/16655227

Wtf is this guy using , chased him around for a full 5 minutes and him rolling and ghosting before finally killing him:mad:

Also screw backstab, front stab is just as good if they have a shield up and much easier to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Wtf is this guy using , chased him around for a full 5 minutes and him rolling and ghosting before finally killing him:mad:

Also screw backstab, front stab is just as good if they have a shield up and much easier to do :D

Is a ring you get in that area you are in right there. Carthus Milkring or something...

That's the carim(I think) milk ring, not only does it do that to your roll it gives you two extra points in Dex too. Pretty sure I found it in the area you're in there. I haven't been invaded once yet :(

Edit: Carthus, thats it.

Is a ring you get in that area you are in right there. Carthus Milkring or something...
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's the carim(I think) milk ring, not only does it do that to your roll it gives you two extra points in Dex too. Pretty sure I found it in the area you're in there. I haven't been invaded once yet :(

Edit: Carthus, thats it.

Ha well clearly it didn't pay off for him :pac:

/looks up where it is

I haven't been invaded once yet :(

Don't how true is it but apparently if you summon a phantom for coop your risk of invasion from a Red Stone user increases exponential. I'm also guessing you have to be Ember'd to get invaded. I played through the whole game solo and I was Ember'd up for 90% of it and i got invaded about 10 times by a Red Stone user. You also get invaded in some areas by NPCs if you are Ember'd, they also drop some cool unique gear.

I also got invaded by the Wolves twice. The Aldritch covenant is very active. So much so that i couldn't progress in the area because of constant invasions. That was one area of the game i went through in Ash form.

Another cool tip regarding covenants and invading. If you invade someone with a Red Stone the reward you get depends on what covenant you have equipped at the time of invasion. So say you are in the Blue Sentinels and you are never getting summoned to defend a host, you can invade a host instead and upon killing said host you will receive a Proof of a Concord Kept. Same goes for Sunbros and the rest of em. Cool eh?

I think I'm at the final boss
    on top of a huge stairs in Loric Castle / Grand Archives?

Does anyone know where to find titanite slabs? I have 5 weapons needing their final upgrade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Is there any way to prevent invasion when embered? Also where do you get the key to
    Geirat in lodric

Yeah I spend a lot of time embered so I guess I've just been unlucky/lucky. Likelihood increasing with other phantoms explains why I've been ganked a fair few times. My memory of DS2 is hazy now but I thought you couldn't be invaded while hollow/unembered/whatever in that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Joined the wolf last night, just got summoned with no choice and when I came back after dying appeared right where I left but with that brutal beast right on top of me having also respawned. Not happy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Is there any way to prevent invasion when embered?

Mentioned two posts before your one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

A question for all of you that are finished or nearly finished.

Have you been putting in 8 hour days at it or are you all just veteran's of the series?

This is my first Souls game and I feel like I'm wading through treacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Pickpocket wrote: »

Have you been putting in 8 hour days at it or are you all just veteran's of the series?

Im not a veteran by an stretch,i just play for a couple of hours a day,when i feel a rage quit coming on thats when i stop playing.. rinse and repeat..

It can feel like that early on,it did to me,but there was a point in the game where it just clicked and from then on ive been enjoying every painful death and lost soul.. :)

I was on a holiday from work and cleared it in 45 hours over 4 days which averages at 11 hours a day. The other 13 hours a day for sleeping, eating, washing myself, talking the dogs and talking to my woman.......occasionally :D

I felt like i took my time to be honest. I read all item descriptions, dropped messages and took in the scenery. Back tracked over some areas and spoke to NPCs multiple times incase of new dialogue. Especially after every boss or major event. Also played all previous games and just came from a Bloodborne playthrough the day before i started this. I found the start of the game abit rough because i started deprived but by mid to late game i wasn't dying at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was on a holiday from work and cleared it in 45 hours over 4 days which averages at 11 hours a day. The other 13 hours a day for sleeping, eating, washing myself, talking the dogs and talking to my woman.......occasionally :D

That does seem like the sort of crazy thing I'd end up doing if I was playing Dark Souls for 11 hours a day :pac:

I remember my first playthroughs of DS1 & 2 talkng close to 100 hours each, 45 seems quick, though I do tend to PvP and co-op a fair bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I remember my first playthroughs of DS1 & 2 talkng close to 100 hours each, 45 seems quick, though I do tend to PvP and co-op a fair bit.

Yeah I'd say if I ever get to the end of this I'll be looking at around 100 hours, if my current progress is anything to go by.

Yeah I'd say if I ever get to the end of this I'll be looking at around 100 hours, if my current progress is anything to go by.

That'd be a regular first souls run through to be honest, for the first game I gave up about halfway through after about 60 hours! I can reach that point in about 4 now :pac:

There's so much to learn in your first run, all subsequent ones will be far shorter. Even YouSavedMyLife will be down to about 20 hours if he doesn't do a lot of PvP or Co-op, I'd nearly guarantee it

So just got some poison arrows and they don't work like they did previously :confused:

They do more damage but the poison status doesn't seem to take ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Pretty much the lowest price at the mo (key only, cdkeys.com)

Dark Souls 3 €37.99

Bought a couple of games from them so far, no issues, usually get the key within seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Picked the game up yesterday. My first DS, although I have played some BB. Decided on Deprived to start with. A few deaths later and I've killed the first boss! The sense of satisfaction is amazing!

Advertisement