Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Also got to
    Pontiff
    last night. I got my ass handed to me!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

tok9 wrote: »
    This guy in particular seems to be a step up, a big one.

Definitely. He was the first boss that took me more than two goes. I spent about 3 hours trying to beat him Friday evening. In the end I went to a different area for a while, came back and summoned someone. Right pain in the ass.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,257 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Implying that the others don't have those things :P

I had the pleasure of being thrown over the side of the castle thanks to (not even a boss) stray demon, which I found amusing. Thankfully was in sun-bro mode so no loss to me. Also had the longest PvP session ever (unintentionally).

Summoned as Sun-Bro to help a chap in Farron, we shamble around and the first invader arrives before we can even greet eachother. As per usual the guy plays "Oh look, I'll just back off into enemies and wait for you to aggro them", host looks at me, I just turn around and backtrack to the nice quiet spot. Invader realizes it's futile and we could easily dash to the Abyss boss, so he dives in and gets minced. I know the die-hards will claim 'honor' but I don't believe in it in this game - if you're summoned, you gain nothing but souls if you don't protect them (beit bosses or PvP).

Still, we're invaded 2mins later and this time he gets a Mad Phantom to help out for a potential 2v2... Funnily enough, the Mad Phant attacks the Invader instead (seeing as we waited for them to arrive for a fight but they took ages, so we headed towards Abyss rather than hunt them down and risk losing progress). By the time the Mad one had damaged the other enough to succumb to the Farron slushy poison (a slow death for the poor guy), Host summons another Sun-Bro, and Mad Phant (victor over other Phant) gets a new Invader helper. So we finally end up 3v2 outside Abyss (with them getting help from 2xShield Goatmen). The fellow Sun-Bro dies as does the Mad Phant, with the remaining invader running around to try the 'come to me and my beastly friends' tactic, so Host clearly couldn't be bothered and went into Abyss Watcher. I wasn't sure if I could enter or not, so I stand square in the doorway calm as f00k, guy charges in and we have fisticuffs for about 2minutes. Sadly for me, I got a bit lax as I was hoping to just go into the boss room whenever he ran off to heal/lure me - and I had no items left from the 12minutes of all this carnage going on. Go to enter room, auto-target kicks in and turns me around - get stunlocked and finally die.

Was probably the first and only time so far that it was relatively fun to PvP. Every other time, as a low damage Herald without massive Stamina just yet, it's a case of all these twinks coming in (usually with friends) vs me alone (even with Way of the Blue -- sometimes it doesn't bother summoning help), hence more reason why I say screw honour unless the hosts themselves clearly want a 1v1.

As for Crystal Sage, can't believe I completely missed her on my first Herald - easy fight provided you commit to either speedily hacking clones to avoid ice-magic, or rushing straight for the original. Farting around looking for cover won't get you anywhere - and killing original nukes copies, so it's usually best to rush if you have decent damage to send her running quickly while avoiding point-blank dagger swipes or magic.

As it stands I can now either check out the Catacombs, or head to CoDeep - Catacombs looks like a complete ass of a place, so tempted to head to the Cathedral instead. Will see how I feel tomorrow.

Invasions are win by any mans necessary Imo (whether you're invader or host), screw the "honour" stuff unless you've been summoned through a red soapstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wandering around Farron Keep, found a load of goodies but was epic when I stumbled across the
    dragon
    and then realising I was at the other side of the very beginning of Undead Settlement. I really want to know how/why that 1 Pilgrim made it across and stuck in front of the gate (leading to Stray Demon)

The Dragon Shield is excellent and the Knights of the Fallen armour set won't be taken off for quite some time.

Also, I noticed I still had the Dark Sigil and a Hollowing level of 6 so I checked back with Yoel and he let me level up twice in a row. I really want to continue that story so am I right in saying..
    Die a few times, check back and when I level up with him 5 times, he gets replaced by someone else and can continue the side story from there?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,257 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Wandering around Farron Keep, found a load of goodies but was epic when I stumbled across the
    dragon
    and then realising I was at the other side of the very beginning of Undead Settlement. I really want to know how/why that 1 Pilgrim made it across and stuck in front of the gate (leading to Stray Demon)

The Dragon Shield is excellent and the Knights of the Fallen armour set won't be taken off for quite some time.

Also, I noticed I still had the Dark Sigil and a Hollowing level of 6 so I checked back with Yoel and he let me level up twice in a row. I really want to continue that story so am I right in saying..
    Die a few times, check back and when I level up with him 5 times, he gets replaced by someone else and can continue the side story from there?

Yup
    Your hollowing will cap at 99 but at certain intervals he will give you another free level, when he's done that 5 times he dies. To carry the questline to its proper conclusion though you have to do stuff with an NPC called Anri aswell that you probably met on the Roads of Sacrifice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yup
    Your hollowing will cap at 99 but at certain intervals he will give you another free level, when he's done that 5 times he dies. To carry the questline to its proper conclusion though you have to do stuff with an NPC called Anri aswell that you probably met on the Roads of Sacrifice.

Cool sound man. Yupp, met Anri alright, dunno where she headed off to but sure I'll meet her again soon.

Also, any idea if shields can be reinforced to increase the physical defense? I have a Greatshield I want to use but not 100% phy so no good to me.

Cool sound man. Yupp, met Anri alright, dunno where she headed off to but sure I'll meet her again soon.

Also, any idea if shields can be reinforced to increase the physical defense? I have a Greatshield I want to use but not 100% phy so no good to me.

Not sure, I'm pretty sure in DS1 you could get some shield's stats to 100 but I'm not sure it works in this. I'm still using a 100% physical defense kite shield I found in Undead Settlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I really want to know how/why that 1 Pilgrim made it across and stuck in front of the gate (leading to Stray Demon)

[/SPOILER]

Heh id say its just a case that he was the lucky one
    not to get crushed by the falling dragon and got locked behind the closing gate, so others may have got away
    :P

Also regarding hollowing, is there any benefits to it being high/low? mines at like 50ish now and not sure if going higher or lower is the way and what the penalties/benefits are if any? Is it similar to insight from Bloodborne? used for summons? can i spend it anywhere at any point?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

So I invaded someone but there was 2 players with the host of embers tag. Glitch? Spell?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

How's it stacking up against DS1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Just arrived in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley. Beautiful place, horribly difficult. Those knights all around the starting area are a serious pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Evade wrote: »
    So I invaded someone but there was 2 players with the host of embers tag. Glitch? Spell?

A ring, bought from Yulia.

I'm playing a Paladin type build at the moment and i got my first offensive spell, Lightning Spear! Bring it back to Firelink to test the damage on it. 110 Damage on a hollow with 21 Faith. Eh. Ok, i suppose it IS ranged and it comes out fast. So i play abit more and come back to firelink to level up. Put one point in Faith bringing it up to 22 and then i test it again on the hollow. 111 Damage......Is magic broken? Or is this intended?

Actually as i type this i realized i didn't upgrade my talisman. Maybe thats where you get your damage from and the stat scaling itself is rubbish...

Evade wrote: »

Dried finger maybe? Not sure. Or no covenant?

Well..
    archers on the buttresses
    ....has to be one of the most cheap sections I've seen in any souls game, at least there was only two of the feckers in the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Well..
    ....has to be one of the most cheap sections I've seen in any souls game, at least there was only two of the feckers in the first game.

Its far easier than the section in the first game, head to the further one and toddle up the buttress, free backstabs

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thegame983

Well..
    Yeah I laughed out loud when i saw that part

Yeah, got past it there, think I might have
    just got married.

I can see a bonfire on top of a tower but no idea how to get to it, looks like the top of the
    church bonfire in Irithyll

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

With all due respect to From Software, whoever came up with the
    health bar shortening
    enemies in the dungeon is a horrible person :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Grrr. Just cannot get past 50% health down on the
    abyss watchers
    Even went in embered with a phantom but no joy. Did find a nice spot to farm but taking an age now to upskill, and not sure I have the patience to put into my stats that are too low.

Went high on INT, and a bit on STR, followed up by Atunement and then Dex. All the rest are quite low which is showing here with my poxy gear :).

Edit: Did have a bit of fun at my farm spot when I was invaded earlier.... Went full camo and watched the invader run past me really closely - so tempted to jump out and go boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

quarryman wrote: »
    How does this compare to DS 2 and DS1?

I'm on the fence about picking it up. (Enjoyed both previous games).

Its not as terrifying as DS1 (due to that being most peopled first Souls game) but imo its far better than DS2.. and its up there with Bloodborne too..

Off the fence with you now.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Taltos wrote: »
    Grrr. Just cannot get past 50% health down on the
    abyss watchers

I used a claymore one handed (the two handed is a down and up hit not a wide swing), jumped in and smashed all round until stamina was low, then ran away to recharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Cheers - am using Uchigatana +4.
    Might try it again tonight without locking on to see if it makes a difference or might try circling a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

PvP is really frustrating me. I'm terrible at it but even at that I only get one decent match out of every ten. It's either a host with a load summons or terrible connection and sometimes both.

With all due respect to From Software, whoever came up with the
    health bar shortening
    enemies in the dungeon is a horrible person :pac:

I didn't even notice until I was done fighting then saw the size of the bar I had :eek:

Weird thing is it seems you only have to be in the same room as them for that to happen ? I was affected by it while using jolly ranged combat on a few of them. Even got a soldering iron from them , might be useful off hand for PvP perhaps.

Still it's not nearly as annoying as bleed :mad:

I have had a bleed bar tick over 2 or 3 times from one encounter I took minor damage in, really annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

I'm on the last boss the soul of cinder-Cant kill him:(

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

I have had a bleed bar tick over 2 or 3 times from one encounter I took minor damage in, really annoying.

This could be maggots, happened to me a few times and was driving me mad, if its happening for no reason pull out your tourch it gets rid of them.

Icaras wrote: »
    This could be maggots, happened to me a few times and was driving me mad, if its happening for no reason pull out your tourch it gets rid of them.

Ahhhhhhhhh might be it, usually happens if I take a hit from the spaghetti dogs :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The thing about game sequels is that they're often 'better' in several respects than their predecessors (as long as the creative team remains similar anyway). Technology improves and mechanics can be further fine tuned and expanded. That's true of Dark Souls 3 compared to the first - it's less janky, it benefits from the refinements of the second game (and Bloodborne) and in terms of technology it's unmistakably superior which feeds into the overall aesthetic of the game.

That said, while it's definitely superior in several respects it also inevitably lacks the shock of the new. It's another Dark Souls game - there's a definite sense of familiarity even with the new ideas, locations etc... Hell, familiarity is woven into the very fabric of the game, both mechanically and narratively. Definitely it isn't quite as startling as Bloodborne was for me - the radically changed pace and world of that game helped it feel far fresher and surprising IMO. Dark Souls 3 is a brilliant, beautiful demanding and surprising game - but it's all those things in a more traditional 'sequel' sort of way :)

It is, of course, essential stuff. But I'd definitely like to see From and Miyasaki going more new places with whatever game comes next. They're probably the best game designers working at the moment - and incredibly excited to see what other directions they can push themselves and their design philosophy in.
    I didn't even notice until I was done fighting then saw the size of the bar I had :eek:

Weird thing is it seems you only have to be in the same room as them for that to happen ? I was affected by it while using jolly ranged combat on a few of them. Even got a soldering iron from them , might be useful off hand for PvP perhaps.

I haven't looked this up, but from testing it out in the room where you have to fight eight or nine of the bastards I reckon it might have something to do with where you're looking too (if their lantern is lit). There's definitely a sizeable range, but when I was luring them out one by one I wasn't affected by it when I turned around and ran away as opposed to staying locked on. Maybe I'm wrong though!
    Still it's not nearly as annoying as bleed :mad:

There's a crawling enemy made of leeches that drops the little bastards all over you if they hit you at all. They're around the side of the cathedral and a few other spots too. It usually takes two or three bleed bars for them to finally detach.

Invaded no end after the pontiff bad enough you have the
    knights
    to contend with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,168 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That secret room just after
    Pontiff Sulyvahn with the two demon dogs is a pain. Can't summon people either because it's gank squad central with Aldritch cúnts.

Advertisement