Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Icaras wrote: »
    One of best parts for me is going into a boss and learning their patterns and failing 20 times but getting a little better every time until I beat them- the feeling of relief and joy is what makes it a dark souls experiance.

Or when you're getting fed up with a boss

"This is my last attempt tonight..."

*Gets down to 5% health*

"One more won't hurt...."

And rinse repeat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Exactly why I stepped away today - my sorcerer just can't melee mash the
    abyss watcher
    . And once his fire catches me I'm gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

got seriously ****ed off with the abyss watchers so went wandering about

found the crystal sage, very easy fight got it on third try. also beat the demon guy on top of the wall, pretty easy too. wandered a good bit into the cathedral and levelled up a good bit, beefed up my gear, finally came back and beat the watchers. a bit more HP and stamina was all i needed.

dissappointed i couldnt talk to him on his throne in firelink after. :(

current weapon is a +3 hollowslayer greatsword, absolutely smashing stuff with it.

question - whats the difference between 2 handing weapons? more damage, less speed? i rarely use my shield now so thinking of going two handed exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

froog wrote: »
    question - whats the difference between 2 handing weapons? more damage, less speed? i rarely use my shield now so thinking of going two handed exclusively.

More damage, less defence I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

froog wrote: »
    2 handing gives you about 1.5x strength stat and usually a different move set.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Beginning to wonder why they didn't just remove invasions from the game altogether. I never get invaded because I rarely co-op and anytime I invade it's a gank squad. Seems pointless now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

cheese strat for watchers (i beat them the proper way in the end though):
    agro the two dark wraiths in the area just before the boss room and make sure they come right up to the fog just as you traverse. they will now be stuck in the fog in the boss room and the watchers prefer trying to fight them than you, in both phases. gives you plenty of time to estus and run in for backstabs and such. you can even just stand at the other end of the room for the entire first phase and wait until phase 2

Surely every strat in this game is cheese :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Way behind everyone. Had awful trouble with the Crystal Sage last night. Very easy fight but kept getting killed in stupid ways and then the fight bugged out on me which wasn't. Not sure I'm ready for poison funderland yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Ah the poison funderland is good - especially when you find the farming spot :)

Just wish I could progress a bit further - will be trying froog's suggestion later to see if it helps with the 2nd stage which is where I keep being hammered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How far are you in?? How many bosses are there.....watched a few online when I was thinking of doing a lets play for it but there seemed too be alot and I am not the most patient:D

Way way way back
    Everyone is ahead.
    I share this TV with a pesky wife and son, plus there's work and sleep :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Despite getting to the last boss I'm still very ignorant with regards stats in this game , for example what does high dex actually do for you , example just say a guy had the katana sword , what would going from 16 to 36 dex do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Found it super challenging to mop up the items in
    Smouldering Lake
    . After beating the boss on the first go, I went back and died far too many times just taking on the standard enemies. And I only managed to pick up one of the
    lava
    items too :o Got through it eventually, although the
    lava
    items can stay there for now :pac:

On the plus side,
    the Pontiff
    fell super easily after that so onwards!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Despite getting to the last boss I'm still very ignorant with regards stats in this game , for example what does high dex actually do for you , example just say a guy had the katana sword , what would going from 16 to 36 dex do?

The sword would do way more damage, particularly if it had been reinforced. My Uchi is +7 and it does 195 base damage, my 42 Dex adds another 102 damage to that 195.

Scaling is coded by letter so the Uchi is C in Dex and D in Str, so it scales better with Dex. The letters go E,D,C,B,A,S with E being worst and S being best. So if you look at a weapons stats you will see what it scales best with by looking at the letters.

Essentially it's just another scaling stat. The rule of thumb is straight and great swords use strength as their main scaling stat whereas curved swords and bows used dexterity as their main scaling stat.

Scaling is the damage bonus a weapon gets based on your stats. It's the +xx in your weapon stat screen.

All weapons have different scaling represented by a letter from E at the low end to S at the high end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The sword would do way more damage, particularly if it had been reinforced. My Uchi is +7 and it does 195 base damage, my 42 Dex adds another 102 damage to that 195.

Scaling is coded by letter so the Uchi is C in Dex and D in Str, so it scales better with Dex. The letters go E,D,C,B,A,S with E being worst and S being best. So if you look at a weapons stats you will see what it scales best with by looking at the letters.

If that's the case then weapons that scale best with dex are way better than strength scaling ones because once upgraded they are just as strong but much faster

If that's the case then weapons that scale best with dex are way better than strength scaling ones because once upgraded they are just as strong but much faster

Dex weapons are very rarely stronger than strength ones, you've also got slow Dex weapons and fast strength ones. The weapon categories have no hard and fast rule.

Katanas seem slow to me but always seem lightening fast when used against me, not to mention people seem to be able to just spam R! and hit me no matter what I'm doing but if I do the same they don't get a scratch. Probably connection related a lot of the time I suppose.

Anyone know if the dark sword took a nerf today? Would be just my luck to have farmed on earlier and for it to be rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Just dropped the
    Ancient Wyvern
    but not a fun fight to have to restart
    with all the running and climbing, took me a good 5 estus flasks to realise when i started the fight that attacking his feet wasnt gonna cut it :D

• Advertisement

Just finished the game there, 29 hours at level 79, whereabouts were the rest of you? 11 Flasks at +10

The final three bosses are absolutely fantastic fights! I really enjoyed them all, fantastic game overall.

I think I understand what went on too!

Just finished the game there, 29 hours at level 79, whereabouts were the rest of you? 11 Flasks at +10

The final three bosses are absolutely fantastic fights! I really enjoyed them all, fantastic game overall.

I'm lvl 60 pushing 50 hours , in Profane Capital at the mo. Been dicking around invading for the last two days though :o

I was level 100 at about 65 hours with 15 flasks at +10 when I finished.

I went into NG+ for a bit but then I created a new character and started from scratch to do some of the PvP stuff.

Evade wrote: »
    I was level 100 at about 65 hours with 15 flasks at +10 when I finished.

I went into NG+ for a bit but then I created a new character and started from scratch to do some of the PvP stuff.

That's a lot of hours! I'm gonna explore the crap out of it and decide what weapons I like before NG+, I can finally access the wikia too

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Level 78, 44hrs, near the end. Taking my time and doing plenty of jolly cooperation!

That's a lot of hours! I'm gonna explore the crap out of it and decide what weapons I like before NG+, I can finally access the wikia too
    No nook or cranny left unexplored will do that. That and playing at 3am and dying due to sleepy mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Nameless king
    by far the hardest fight yet, it would prob be alot more doable if the camera angles didn't **** ya up so much :mad:

How do I get through Farron Keep? Seems like I can't go far without being poisoned

How do I get through Farron Keep? Seems like I can't go far without being poisoned
    Bring a lot of purple moss, the poisonbite ring, and hop up on an island until your poison meter depletes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You'll be grand without the moss if needs be (although of course the moss helps ;)). Poison drains your health very slowly, especially if embered, so use Estus wisely and you can get through it. Frankly I found it easier just to accept the poison when exploring deeper into the area to get items or what not. You should be able to make it to the main islands without much trouble anyway.

Advertisement