Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Maybe luck scaling plays a part too.

Yeah something has changed with it from previous games, as RopeDrink mentioned Farron's I was thinking how the poison build up was very slow on me even with lowish resistance and how not dangerous it is now vs Toxic or Bleed if left unchecked for any length of time.

I'll play around with it later when I can get more supplies the merchant is locked out for the moment.

Been busy this morning as wee one is away with nana for the day so got to dark
    firelink
    and
    Archdragon Peak
    so many souls lost there :(

Took me ages to work out where to go and not get mauled or ganged up on. Then after the boss ignore the
    summoned npcs
    and go after the
    summoner upstairs
    I had
    Havel
    spawn in on me after taking out 3 weaker ones before I realised what was going on and why they were still coming :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I got the Bloodlust katana off the mound-makers covennt yesterday, only upgrades to +5 (which doesn't net you the achievement) but scales A with Dex. Finding it better than the uchi as I get 5 swings in instead of 4. It's special ability is pretty cool too. Also finding the Sunset Shield great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

In the catacombs. Enjoying it so far.
    Thought I found an easy spot to kill the
    fire beast
    , but he swiped me through the wall, 2 hits and I was a gonner...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah as neat as my Uchi still is, I've been mostly using the upgraded Irithyll Straight Sword as I can get several more hits with it. And have finally replaced the Uchi to experiment with a pyromancy flame as have unlocked some of the higher tier skills and they seem pretty devastating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Any of you guys rolling heavy magic builds? if so what are your stats like? looking to role one next, ive never done a magic build properly in a souls game yet :(

I'm nearing the end of the game and have been pretty much sword and board the whole way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

Is the 1.04 update out on PS4 yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I'm playing a sorcery build. On SL60, currently at around 33/34 INT and attunement. Have obviously put a few points into health and endurance too, and boosted faith a bit (need to put more levels in there for pyromancy boosts).

Be warned that a sorcery build is rough going in the early game. You really need a few Estus upgrades before you can start casting more casually - that blue bar disappears quickly. Totally worth it for the late game, but you'll need something like the Uchi to get past the first dozen hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Evade wrote: »
    Is the 1.04 update out on PS4 yet?

Ya, got it when I started the game on Monday.
    It's only a calibration update so you get it when you login to the game server.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Similar to Johnny, but capped it at 25 for INT and Faith to focus on Dex and Str for when magic doesn't cut it. Still mainly using the initial spells but experimenting with others. Switching between soul arrow and uchi to cover all bases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Great farming spot for souls at
    Anor Londo bonfire. Suicidal Knight FTW!
    Bought the tower key for the crack.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Beat
    Yhorm the giant
    in my first go, he didn't even hit me once, maybe
    Siegward showing up to help had something to do with it?
    Absolute bull**** the way you
    get teleported to the dancer fight straight away without kindling the bonfire though, pretty much guaranteeing you lose your souls straight away unless you beat her first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Beat
    Yhorm the giant
    get teleported to the dancer fight straight away without kindling the bonfire though, pretty much guaranteeing you lose your souls straight away unless you beat her first time.

Doesn't the fight only start if you place the bowl under the statue? I'm pretty sure i walked out of that room after being teleported there. I also beat Yhorm on my first attempt but i kinda cheated. Went in to fight him, but Sieg wasn't with me, must have missed something. I saw i was doing next to no damage to him so figured there was some kind of gimmick to the fight, picked the sword up off the ground and used Homeward Boner to gtfo :D

Was flicking through the Wiki to find a weapon suitable for my Paladin theme'd build and there is about 5 or 6 Faith scaling weapons in the WHOLE game and about 2 of them fit the Paladin theme. Demon Fist and Demon Great Axe have faith scaling but don't really fit the Fashion Souls im trying to go with. There's also a good few weapons that have FTH requirements, but don't scale with FTH? This has got to be a mistake. Only way i can get a Faith Scaling weapon is to imbue one :( I wan't to use cool looking stuff, not a boring ole Lightning Halberd :(

Doesn't the fight only start if you place the bowl under the statue? I'm pretty sure i walked out of that room after being teleported there. I also beat Yhorm on my first attempt but i kinda cheated. Went into to fight him, but Sieg wasn't with me, must have missed something. I saw i was doing next to no damage to him so figured there was some kind of gimmick to the fight, picked the sword up off the ground and used Homeward Boner to gtfo :D

Was flicking through the Wiki to find a weapon suitable for my Paladin theme'd build and there is about 5 or 6 Faith scaling weapons in the WHOLE game and about 2 of them fit the Paladin theme. Demon Fist and Demon Great Axe have faith scaling but don't really fit the Fashion Souls im trying to go with. There's also a good few weapons that have FTH requirements, but don't scale with FTH? This has got to be a mistake. Only way i can get a Faith Scaling weapon is to imbue one :( I wan't to use cool looking stuff, not a boring ole Lightning Halberd :(
    So you have to use Siegward's sword? Ah that explains why there was two of them on the ground when I went back there. I didn't place the bowl at all for the dancer fight, it just kicked in after the old lady died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Beat
    Yhorm the giant

I seem to have had a different experience to pretty much everyone with this situation. I was reading all about this particular fact in the run up to the fight with
    Yhorm
    , that after you kill the
    3 Lords of Cinder
    you teleport
    directly out to the dancer fight

I also had
    Siegward join the fight
    . After the fight I was able to
    kindle the bonfire, and talk with Siegward to get a Siegbrau. I was teleported to Emma in the chapel but before I interacted with her I was able to go back to the bonfire where you fight the first boss and teleport to firelink to spend my souls etc.

I went back to
    Emma
    then and interacted with her to kick off the
    Dancer fight
    . I haven't seen a single other person who had this experience :p

Beat
    Yhorm the giant

Aye luckily i beat
    Dancer
    first time, just barely by the skin of my teeth though, i had about a CM of hp left and bang out of estus too.

Just finished the game now myself, great game, now to go and try a back stabby assassin type build or a mage of sorts "hummm hummm"

I've a good feeling i missed out on alot of NPC encounters, the
    thief never made it back
    and i never saw the
    girl and her mute bodyguard after second encounter in FL shrine
    and i never saw
    the dude in the fat armour after the first time
    :confused:

nix wrote: »
    Aye luckily i beat
    Dancer
    first time, just barely by the skin of my teeth though, i had about a CM of hp left and bang out of estus too.

Just finished the game now myself, great game, now to go and try a back stabby assassin type build or a mage of sorts "hummm hummm"

thief never made it back
    and i never saw the
    and i never saw

You find the
    thief dead in the sewer near Distant Manor bonfire, you get his ashes and give them to the merchant in firelink.

Aye luckily i beat
    Dancer

thief never made it back
    and i never saw the
    and i never saw

Aye there is alot to be missed for people playing it blind, including a whole area with 2 bosses (Which i also missed) Am playing through it again with a new character with the Wiki on hand to finish questlines i failed the first time round.
    You find the
    thief dead in the sewer near Distant Manor bonfire, you get his ashes and give them to the merchant in firelink.

Apparently he can be saved. He died here on my playthrough as well but Sieg will save him if you continue both of their quests in tandem. I was late on saving Sieg from the well and he was never in the Sewers to save Greirat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

just finished the game :D

Mow the real Dark Souls begins :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Now you need to see the other three endings.

"Real Dark Souls starts now".

So you have to use Siegward's sword? Ah that explains why there was two of them on the ground when I went back there. I didn't place the bowl at all for the dancer fight, it just kicked in after the old lady died.

No no read the lore on them, I was really fascinated by that characters story and it will mention why there are 2 of them.

The 1st
    sword
    is actually available beside the thrown right away , realistically it would be only possible to equip it then if you have the other guy engaged with the boss other wise solo you wouldn't get a window maybe.

What really annoyed me about the teleport was if you haven't done
    3 lords
    as you walk away after talking to the character you will hear
    him collapse behind you and turn around to see his souls on the ground
    I was robbed of a feels moment :(

Aye there is alot to be missed for people playing it blind, including a whole area with 2 bosses (Which i also missed) Am playing through it again with a new character with the Wiki on hand to finish questlines i failed the first time round.

Apparently he can be saved. He died here on my playthrough as well but Sieg will save him if you continue both of their quests in tandem. I was late on saving Sieg from the well and he was never in the Sewers to save Greirat

I found him
    dead on the roof of the grand archieves after his 3rd outing
    , from what I read after i found him is that many agree it's
    unavoidable
    I'm not sure though. It is very much tied to
    Siegward
    so maybe the fact he
    died after the boss fight gets the thief killed
    and was most likely
    Patches
    given his interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Now we need a review

haha who the **** is
    pacthes??
    :eek: totally missed him :(

I'm currently doing co op on last boss, farming souls, is the souls reward for co-op around the same? how close to someones level do i have to be for them to summon me?

haha who the **** is
    pacthes??
    :eek: totally missed him :(

I'm currently doing co op on last boss, farming souls, is the souls reward for co-op around the same? how close to someones level do i have to be for them to summon me?

You not played the other games? He essentially
    screws you over in all the games in some way
    :D

You not played the other games? He essentially
    screws you over in all the games in some way
    :D

Is he the guy who
    kicks you over the edge
    in DS1?

Who is he in DS2? i played that inside out, is he the guy who's on the hunt for Pate?

Is he the guy who
    kicks you over the edge
    in DS1?

Who is he in DS2? i played that inside out, is he the guy who's on the hunt for Pate?

He isn't in DS2, but alot of people consider Pate to be a homage to Patches considering they have the same weapon, shield and armor. Hes also a tricky ****.

So i just read
    Horace the Hushed
    armour description and it turns out he is actually Smough! Good ****

Oh i misread the description. His armour was owned by a corrupted Executioner that was killed and stripped of his armour (Smough?) And he himself was one of two Children to escape Aldritch's clutches. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Does anyone know if ng+ is more like dark souls 1 (harder) or dark souls 2 (harder with extra enemies)

Ng+ was something ds2 did get right.

• Advertisement

I promised myself I wouldn't berate this game :pac:
    I don't see how it's possibly better left out? The key thing is, it's all completely optional (well, invasions aside, but they're rare and hilariously cruel). Co-op is a welcome addition to ensure players don't get left behind (yes purists, 'get gud' is advice of sadly limited usefulness) - for all its engaging, engrossing challenge, one cannot forget that there's this amazing, secret filled world to explore and beautifully told story / lore to tease out. Co-op is a sensible way to ensure that players of all - well, most - skill levels can engage with that and not have to quit out of frustration (I'm still sure some will of course, and even in co-op you still need a serious grasp of the mechanics and rules). Terrifically satisfying to be the phantom helping out somebody too. As for PVP, it's almost completely ignorable, but has and will continue to add layers of extra depth for those who commit to it.

Let's not forget the messages either, praise the sun! The way there remains a layer of arcane mystery to all the MP systems helps it all fit nicely into the DS tone and style too IMO.

As I said, the beauty with Dark Soul's multiplayer is it gives as much or as little as the player is willing to give it. Think co-op screws up the balance of the boss fights or makes them too easy? No problem, easily ignorable: engaging in co-op requires an active decision from the player. But if bosses are endlessly kicking your ass and you're eager to move on, the developers have offered tools to perhaps help you along. Totally your choice, and that's why it would be a massive shame to lose them.

To say its optional is like starting and FPS game with a BFG but being told not to use as it breaks the game. Are you going to use it? Of course you are. I just wish I didn't have the option to use it at all. I am weak willed.

The co-op breaks the engrossing accomplishment of the game. I enjoy slowly making my way through, taking in each area bit by bit, learning all the enemy spawns and nuances. Having an ability to essentially the cut the difficulty by 3/4 or so belittles that. What's the point of putting myself through the pain and eventual euphoria. I feel like I've cheated whenever I summon, but then I feel like I'm wasting my life if I'm dying multiple times at the same point. If co-op wasn't there, I wouldn't feel like that. I'm torn and I don't like it.

Although I quite like the other aspects, especially the blood splatter death replays. I saw some player getting impaled on thin air in a church but there was no enemy nearby. I can only assume that unassuming guy on the chair nearby will have something to do with it.

Advertisement