Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If you want to go full on cleric and use mainly miracles but want a melee weapon too you just need to find a weapon you like, get the minimum stats to wield it and then infuse it with lightening which will scale with Faith.

Cheers! ill keep that in mind for my next play through..too far gone to start again now..

and I just got wrecked by 3 flying
    fatties
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I'm playing a Paladin (No Hex) build right now and im spread very thin to be honest. Faith weapon itemization is absolutely terrible as very little of the unique weapons scale with Faith, and the ones that do are brutal. For most of the game you will be using a Raw or Fire weapon as the Blessed infusion is probably the worst infusion in the game. The coal to get Lightning weapons is found in
    Anor Londo
    towards the end of the game, and then you have to choose the one weapon that you will infuse as you only get 1 guaranteed Lightning gem be playthough. All weapons also infuse to different scaling.Lightning Claymore for example gets a C in Faith scaling at its base reinforcement, where as the Astora Greatsword gets a B scaling at its base.

TLDR: Faith builds dont get many options when it comes to weapon selection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

finished the catacombs wahey!
    the boss fight was super easy after getting two very helpful message signs on the ground "try left, then right" and "try the ring" so i ran left immediately and found he couldnt really hit me and i could hack his jewelerry as leisure. same on the other side and that was it, very simple. i killed the weird skeleton in the hat that was following me around. have i ruined a potential storyline? i assum he was the lost companion of the female adventurer? also is there a way to get to the bottom below the bridge? saw a few orbs down there

also at the snowy bridge -
    i ran past the wolf boss and now when i go back to fight him he's always gone. does he respawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Killed the
    Nameless King
    finally. Switched to the Uchigatana and even though I was giving up over 100 damage on the Wolf Sword, its speed made the fight fairly straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

froog wrote: »
    finished the catacombs wahey!
    the boss fight was super easy after getting two very helpful message signs on the ground "try left, then right" and "try the ring" so i ran left immediately and found he couldnt really hit me and i could hack his jewelerry as leisure. same on the other side and that was it, very simple. i killed the weird skeleton in the hat that was following me around. have i ruined a potential storyline? i assum he was the lost companion of the female adventurer? also is there a way to get to the bottom below the bridge? saw a few orbs down there

also at the snowy bridge -
    i ran past the wolf boss and now when i go back to fight him he's always gone. does he respawn?

The bridge:
    Once you collapse it it works as a ladder.

Wolf rat boss thing:
    You'll meet again but not there.

Good luck :p

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

The Pontiff is owning me. Any tips? Taking my time and using the shield but he's so powerful, and that ghost of his is really annoying.

So 3 things I learned today that I wish I'd known much sooner.

1. If you hold down on the D-Pad it will select the 1st slot on your quick select, likely estus and should be !!!!!!

2. Each time you kill an invader, you get a seed of a giant tree BUT you have to collect it from the tree , the tree is just outside where you go to the tower to use the key at firelink shrine

3. Your hollow level affects the number of summon signs you see.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did not know about the tree, sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

So 3 things I learned today that I wish I'd known much sooner.

3. Your hollow level affects the number of summon signs you see.

Which way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah makes sense, the more follow I've gotten, the less signs I've seen.

Can anyone recommend a good pyromancy spell? I found the izlaeth and qauleeg (feck spelling) pyromancy tomes in the brilliant Smoldering Lake, such a throwback to DS1. Can't decide between the great fire orb and the fire pillars one. The pillars is the most expensive but each go uses 3fp and that seems very low?

Finished it. Amazing game, probably my favourite of the series. GOTY contender for sure.

I actually can't wait to start NG+ because there's multiple endings and I ballsed up so many of the NPC quests so there is loads to do still. Ending spoilers...
    I chose to extinguish the first flame. I figure that the cycles needed to end once and for all but even afterwards the fire keeper said some time in the future tiny flames will dance in the darkness once again, so I didn't really change anything.

The final boss was a good fight if a little unimaginative. Reskin-Gwyn with lots of other abilities.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ah makes sense, the more follow I've gotten, the less signs I've seen.

Can anyone recommend a good pyromancy spell? I found the izlaeth and qauleeg (feck spelling) pyromancy tomes in the brilliant Smoldering Lake, such a throwback to DS1. Can't decide between the great fire orb and the fire pillars one. The pillars is the most expensive but each go uses 3fp and that seems very low?

The fire orb was fairly crap in the first 2 games, combustion or great combustion was always a handy upclose imo

J. Marston wrote: »
    Finished it. Amazing game, probably my favourite of the series. GOTY contender for sure.

I actually can't wait to start NG+ because there's multiple endings and I ballsed up so many of the NPC quests so there is loads to do still. Ending spoilers...
    I chose to extinguish the first flame. I figure that the cycles needed to end once and for all but even afterwards the fire keeper said some time in the future tiny flames will dance in the darkness once again, so I didn't really change anything.

The final boss was a good fight if a little unimaginative. Reskin-Gwyn with lots of other abilities.

Have you played the other two games?

I thought the final fight was great,
    seemed to me like an amalgamation of all the previous Souls who linked the flame, and the usage of all their play styles as a new contender linked the flame after Gwyn and the Chosen Undead, really cool end to the trilogy IMO. Dying to get the other endings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Found chaos storm a bit underwhelming when compared to the fact that it was basically insta-win against some bosses in DS2.

I have been using Chaos Bed Vestiges which is pretty incredible. Faster and more powerful than any of the sorceries I've accrued so far, although needs a good few Ashen Estus flasks as it eats up FP.

I think great chaos fire orb is meant to be pretty good too, although haven't experimented with it yet.

Have you played the other two games?

I thought the final fight was great,
    seemed to me like an amalgamation of all the previous Souls who linked the flame, and the usage of all their play styles as a new contender linked the flame after Gwyn and the Chosen Undead, really cool end to the trilogy IMO. Dying to get the other endings.

Yeah, played them both. DSI was amazing and DSII was great but suffered from Bioshock 2 syndrome, in that it was a very good game but not a patch on the original.
    Yeah, I get that's what they were going for and the Soul you get even says something to that effect but I dunno, I thought it could've been something different.

Lore-wise though, it fits perfectly.

Hah, I've witnessed a few people not recognising whats going on and just going for the host only to have every phantom in the place turn on them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

How's the framerate on XBONE folks?

Seems like it's noticeably a poorer performer than the PS4

quarryman wrote: »
    How's the framerate on XBONE folks?

Seems like it's noticeably a poorer performer than the PS4

Fine except for pvp wouldn't complain about it only i saw how good it looks on pc, you have the usual swords with extra reach or not being able to hit a dasher/roller when you think you should in pvp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Fine except for pvp wouldn't complain about it only i saw how good it looks on pc, you have the usual swords with extra reach or not being able to hit a dasher/roller when you think you should in pvp

Pvp only? Is that not more of a network issue so?

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    Pvp only? Is that not more of a network issue so?

Aye most likely ,anyway unless I'd seen a pc running it I'd not be unhappy playing on xbox and nearing endgame ...2 or 3 bosses I think.

Going through my Fashion Souls, I noticed I had this. Raised my Item discovery from 104 to 204 but drains health and will kill you in about 20 seconds :pac:

13047898_1206976625986769_330877366782324775_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

The fashion Souls alone should destine that abomination to a slow death

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Got invaded last night after completing a fair whack of (late game spoilers)
    the archives
    I had just opened a shortcut back to the bonfire and didnt fancy going though the area to search for the invader. So I sat it out, occasionally using the "hey" gesture in the hope he'd come to me.
    Anyway, no sign of him after 10 minutes so I switch over to youtube, watch Epic Name Bro's latest DS3 lets play. 45 mins later I switch back the the PS4 and the invader is gone, and I'm left untouched. What a dope!

What's the etiquette here? Am I expected to hightail it like a chump to greet this goon?

Got invaded last night after completing a fair whack of (late game spoilers)
    the archives
    I had just opened a shortcut back to the bonfire and didnt fancy going though the area to search for the invader. So I sat it out, occasionally using the "hey" gesture in the hope he'd come to me.
    Anyway, no sign of him after 10 minutes so I switch over to youtube, watch Epic Name Bro's latest DS3 lets play. 45 mins later I switch back the the PS4 and the invader is gone, and I'm left untouched. What a dope!

What's the etiquette here? Am I expected to hightail it like a chump to greet this goon?

If someone is invading your game, there is no etiquette. Win anyway you can, chug every estus and summon others.

If I summon/get summoned for a duel, then I generally fight fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

So I'm about halfway through the game and I've seen hardly any lore/story. I find the dark souls world fascinating. I know in these games you have to kind of tease it out yourself but does stuff get anyway explained later on? For example id love to know why the abyss watchers were fighting each other and some backstory on the other bosses without googling. I still no nothing about lothric either.

I was invading in
    Anor Londo
    last night and the guy was legging it back to the fire and summoning in 3 phantoms for help and me and another dark spirit trying to bait them towards the enemies near the boss fog, the old trick basically. Host must have went through 5 or 6 summons and was running constantly even when it was me and him left he decided it was better to take his chance with the boss and no estus than to fight me with an inch of HP left :D

It's funny to when to are at a certain bonfire used as an unofficial pvp area and you are heading back to the fire to wait your turn to fight when summoned after a few runs and you fail to notice you got summoned to a hostile hosts game and get immediately murdered :D

That area is perfect for PvP though , drop in chug and fight , next one drops in while host summons replacements easily as all the signs are right there at the fog door.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I'm about halfway through the game and I've seen hardly any lore/story. I find the dark souls world fascinating. I know in these games you have to kind of tease it out yourself but does stuff get anyway explained later on? For example id love to know why the abyss watchers were fighting each other and some backstory on the other bosses without googling. I still no nothing about lothric either.

Just like the gameplay you have to work it out for yourself. It's all in little environmental details and in the item descriptions and can be quite opaque. I kind of just let others do that for me and look up the likes of epic name bro and vaati vidya.

Not actually knowing what is going on is usually a part of the storytelling in these games. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls in particular were very good at this, any information given directly to the player was a lie to fool them into carrying out their task but if you investigate yourself you found out the truth behind everything.

why the abyss watchers were fighting each other
    Seemed to me that they were being taken over by the abyss themselves, When the black fog leaves them halfway in the fight, it was reminiscent of the abyssal fog around Artorios in DkS, so they were beating each other to upkeep their vows, rooting out the abyss by annihilating each other. The abyss may also be the reason for their Undead state, I'm not sure about it

• Advertisement

Yupp, I find myself staring at locations, statues, why is that there, what happened here, etc and not having a clue.

Like with Horrace, who I
    just killed. What happened them in the catacombs to split them up, did he go hollow overtime or did something speed up the process, what was he doing in that room. Might never get answers to these but fascinating to me none the less. Probably wouldn't be as interesting if there was a cutscene telling me he just wondered off and became hollow.

Also, apologies if already posted but the Dark Souls board game on kickstarter looks absolutely class! Bit pricey but looks like an essential purchase for me.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game

Advertisement