Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did you
    cure yourself of the dark sigil? Or kill anri or anything like that?

What level you at that far in? I'm probably going to stop at 120 myself for PvP. It's handy having the option to re-spec too if i want to.

Not sure what level, prob around the 120 mark, ill check later when at home.
    You can only cure yourself through the fire maiden yeah? paying like 80k souls? didnt do that..

I did go down the route where i help Anri kill adritch and then killed her in the same place i killed horace, but Yuria ran before that, maybe it was when i killed the chamelon in the church?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

For anyone on NG+, do I lose all items from the Handmaiden in the Shrine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

For anyone on NG+, do I lose all items from the Handmaiden in the Shrine?
    You do.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What console are you on? I was using the Lotric Knight Sheild, you have zero stability benefit from it without the strength but still absorb 87% of lightning damage, so I was rocking it for the fight, super useful

I'll give that a go tomorrow, think I can use the king's ring to get enough STR to wield it, though tbh the lightening damage hasn't been an issue. I can usually kill the dragon no problem and get the king to about half health, but one mistake or mistimed roll does me in.
    nix wrote: »
    Not sure what level, prob around the 120 mark, ill check later when at home.
    You can only cure yourself through the fire maiden yeah? paying like 80k souls? didnt do that..

I did go down the route where i help Anri kill adritch and then killed her in the same place i killed horace, but Yuria ran before that, maybe it was when i killed the chamelon in the church?

There you go
    killing the chameleon assassin makes her leave too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I'm 19 hours in and only halfway through the Cathedral of the Deep. It's my first Souls game so it was painfully slow at the beginning. In fact, I've made more progress in the past 4 hours than I did in the first 16. I'm combing through each area and just generally taking my time so I'm not bothered if it takes me 200 hours to get through it. I'm loving every second.

I'm a Knight and currently at level 46.

Vigor 24
    Attunement 10
    Endurance 19
    Vitality 18
    Strength 27
    Dexterity 12
    Intelligence 9
    Faith 9
    Luck

As you can see, I want to be strong with the ability to move as quickly as possible while carrying heavy weapons and armour. However, I know sweet feck all about the deeper mechanics of the game so should I still be trying to increase my stats in other areas?

For example, will faith and intelligence have any bearing on a pure strength build? Similarly, would the ability to carry dexterity based weapons combine well with my strength?

Do these various attributes overlap and influence each other in unexpected ways?

Anyway, those are some of my concerns. It's all trial and error and I feel like I'm picking it up bit by bit, but I don't want to go too far in the wrong direction.

• Advertisement

Pickpocket wrote: »

Vigor 24
    Attunement 10
    Endurance 19
    Vitality 18
    Strength 27
    Dexterity 12
    Intelligence 9
    Faith 9
    Luck

As you can see, I want to be strong with the ability to move as quickly as possible while carrying heavy weapons and armour. However, I know sweet feck all about the deeper mechanics of the game so should I still be trying to increase my stats in other areas?
    Keep focusing on those stats. You might need a little more DEX later on to meet the minimum requires for some weapon you might want to use later on but cross that bridge when you come to it.

In case you didn't already know the weight ratio (top right of the equip screen) determines how fast you roll and how fast your stamina regenerates. 30% or less is fastest, not really doable with your build. 69.9% or less is medium, you should aim for this. 70% or more is the slowest.
    For example, will faith and intelligence have any bearing on a pure strength build? Similarly, would the ability to carry dexterity based weapons combine well with my strength?
    Aside from weapon requirements you won't need INT or FAITH either.
    Do these various attributes overlap and influence each other in unexpected ways?
    No.
    Anyway, those are some of my concerns. It's all trial and error and I feel like I'm picking it up bit by bit, but I don't want to go too far in the wrong direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I'm 19 hours in and only halfway through the Cathedral of the Deep. It's my first Souls game so it was painfully slow at the beginning. In fact, I've made more progress in the past 4 hours than I did in the first 16. I'm combing through each area and just generally taking my time so I'm not bothered if it takes me 200 hours to get through it. I'm loving every second.

Vigor 24
    Attunement 10
    Endurance 19
    Vitality 18
    Strength 27
    Dexterity 12
    Intelligence 9
    Faith 9
    Luck

Weapons scale off the 4 main offensive stats, strength, dexterity, faith, intelligence and in some rare cases luck. Dex wont affect anything about a strength weapon, but if that weapon has any dex scaling at all it will increase damage as you put points into it. There is a soft cap at 40 for STR and DEX, which means the damage gains you get from increasing said stat over 40 are lessened.

So say a weapon has a scaling of B in STR and a B in DEX once you hit 40 in either stat you will gain more damage from increasing the other stat instead of going over 40 in your "main" stat. Faith and Intelligence won't affect your strength build other than adding weapon buffs to your weapon, but some of the better buffs require a hefty number of FTH/INT points. Dex also affects casting speed for spells..

No, for pure Melee you want Vigor,Endurance, Vitality and Dex/Str

Only if you want to have basic miracles or spells, for pure Melee there's no need to bump Int, Faith or Attunement

Not really, AFAIK they're all pretty independant aside from Faith/Intelligence with Attunement

Answered in the quote, have you heavily reinforced your weapon?

Also, there's no need to put strength above 40, and a Vigor of 25 or 30 should be enough to clear the game with. I had 25 Endurance but you might need as much as 30, Heavy weapons consume more stamina and you'll probably want 25-30 Vitality to start.

If you're going pure strength then dex is only a minimum requirement to carry some weapons, and vice versa for dex builds

Vigor 24
    Attunement 10
    Endurance 19
    Vitality 18
    Strength 27
    Dexterity 12
    Intelligence 9
    Faith 9
    Luck

Well im currently like:

Vigor 30
    Attunement 20
    Endurance 30
    Vitality 25
    Strength 40
    Dexterity 12
    Intelligence 10
    Faith 45
    Luck

And using dragonslayer greataxe which does lightning damage and i have read the faith increases lightning damage (bloody well hope it does) and im doing insane damage.

So if you have a weapon that has stats in one of the elementals or you infuse a weapon into a certain elemental, then they scale well.

So like, to my knowledge, INT covers magic and fire and Faith covers lightning and dark.

But if you're all out physical, id get strength to 40 and then dex to 40, whichever order you prefer, depending on what weapons you wanna use :)

But if you're all out physical, id get strength to 40 and then dex to 40, whichever order you prefer, depending on what weapons you wanna use :)

40-40 is a bit redundant I think, there aren't many weapons with B-B or better scaling in both stats. It does allow you to use any melee based weapon I guess, but there would be a lot of wasted points if you were doing any PvP

• Advertisement

40-40 is a bit redundant I think, there aren't many weapons with B-B or better scaling in both stats. It does allow you to use any melee based weapon I guess, but there would be a lot of wasted points if you were doing any PvP

It raises the weapon damage though no? so not good to raise both to soft cap? :confused:

It raises the weapon damage though no? so not good to raise both to soft cap? :confused:
    If you had the points it might be better to diversify a bit and put those 40 points into INT or FAITH.

If you've only like a C or D scaling in one of them then each point is only adding like 1-2 points, it's not worth it for 30 levels to add like 40 points.

Imo the 30 odd points split into Attunemeny, Faith and Int will give you a few starter miracles, spells and hexes which will do more damage and allow more versatility than just melee.

To each their own of course, that's just my views

Ah yeah i went str/faith, im just saying if you want physical only, then doing 40/40 str/dex would squeeze most of the damage you can get that way for physical :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

so what are people's favourite type of weapon? i'm using greatswords right now but find them quite slow but i'm thinking of switching to a rapier for faster hits and better in hallways and such. also would free up some weight for better armour.

think if i playthrough a second time i might go for something really fast like daggers.

froog wrote: »
    so what are people's favourite type of weapon? i'm using greatswords right now but find them quite slow but i'm thinking of switching to a rapier for faster hits and better in hallways and such. also would free up some weight for better armour.

think if i playthrough a second time i might go for something really fast like daggers.

Katanas were my favourite in the first two games, I liked the Uchi in this but it definitely won't carry me through NG+, considering giving the Chaos Blade a whirl, I loved it in Bloodborne. The Uchigatana is the new scrublord weapon so I'm looking to move away from it before NG+, I probably won't use it again either.

Dual weapons were great in Bloodborne, hopefully they'll be good here too, haven't tried any yet, Dual Wielding small weapons were good in Dark Souls 2.

Rapiers are pretty good in this, I really liked the Rapier at the beginning, Dual Rapiers are stunlocking machines in PvP.

Spears are iffy, handy for turtling behind a shield and avoiding damage but if someone gets inside the range then it can be hard to kill them, so I find them subpar for PvP or areas that require careful footwork.

Regular Straight Sword is a top notch move set, always dependable for most enemies, slashing and piercing damage is available to you.

I never liked Greatswords of Ultra Greatswords, too slow and I always preferred rolling through a swing than catching it on a shield so I can't comment on them, but the Claymore is decent when two handed.

If you're going on Daggers, then Dual Wielding is probably the way to go.

This is all my own experiences with weapons, obviously most weapons are viable.

Also, is carry weight a straight switch at 30% and 70% or is there a gradient like Dark Souls 2? I've been keeping mine about 45-55% if I can but will let it up to 68% or so if there's no speed loss. I think I've noticed it but looking for confirmation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stuck on the Abyss Watchers but don't mind. One of the best boss fights from have done.

so i finally summoned someone to help with
    pontiff sulyvan
    . That ****er is hardcore, don't know how anyone can beat him solo! kinda feel like i've a cheated a bit, do people generally summon much for bosses?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Stuck on the Abyss Watchers but don't mind. One of the best boss fights from have done.

incredibly atmospheric. i felt sad in that fight for reasons i don't know why. the music i guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I hate the boss fights so I summon for every fight. Maybe im not doing it right but i am in it for the exploration and discovery of it all and the bosses get in my way.

I hate the boss fights so I summon for every fight. Maybe im not doing it right but i am in it for the exploration and discovery of it all and the bosses get in my way.

Loads will say yes you are doing it wrong , but they are the ones who are wrong. You are doing it right if you are enjoying the game in playing it in a way that suits YOU, Simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

In NG+, if you've maxed out your Estus, can you do anything with the respawned shards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I'm thinking of picking this up. Should I play Dark Souls 1 and 2 beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Molly wrote: »
    I'm thinking of picking this up. Should I play Dark Souls 1 and 2 beforehand?

I'd recommend playing Dark Souls 1 before it. I wouldn't say it was absolutely necessary but you would get so much more from the experience.

J. Marston wrote: »
    In NG+, if you've maxed out your Estus, can you do anything with the respawned shards?

Pickle Pee might give you a slab I think for either a bone fragment or chard can't recall which.

ANyone else getting a lot of disconnects and being booted to the title screen on Xbox tonight?

"hey you know those assholes that reduce your max health?"

"ha! ya i hate those pricks!"

"here's 5 of them."

"...."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Cathedral of the Deep is quite tough, manageable but tough. I'm not looking forward to the boss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Adventures in the
    Archives

ME: Hmm... Here's an ominous, dark, fog shrouded room with two crystal geckos but no visible enemies. Bet you there's an unpleasant surprise lurking in here somewhere!

*10 seconds later, anxiously rolling away from a
    bookcase

ME: Oh, From, never change.

Advertisement