Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Does summoning with the Red Soapstone give tongues or do you have to be summoned? That'll be my go to I'd say, I love summoned duels, could do them for hours in Dark Souls 2 on the Iron Keeps bridge

You have to be summoned and kill the host I think. With the password system it's very handy to do it with a mate. Shame we're all scattered around different platforms, a boardsie fight club would be some fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Getting pissed off by the Abyss Watchers for the last 3 hours. Kept getting to the second form and then messing up by doing something stupid. Then for a whole hour I couldn't even get to the second form. Managed to beat it in the end but during it to take some frustration out I decided to ruin other peoples games by invading. No such lucky. Everyone seems to be co-oping this game. No loner innocent victims to be had :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Getting pissed off by the Abyss Watchers for the last 3 hours. Kept getting to the second form and then messing up by doing something stupid. Then for a whole hour I couldn't even get to the second form. Managed to beat it in the end but during it to take some frustration out I decided to ruin other peoples games by invading. No such lucky. Everyone seems to be co-oping this game. No loner innocent victims to be had :(

Invasions are heavily weighted to hosts with phantoms present in this, I've been embered up for the majority of the game and have never been invaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Jeez, tried my hand at invading, always solo against 2-3 people, just sitting around to gang up on one person, whats the point?

EDIT: Yup, done about 20 now, me vs 2-3 people ALWAYS

Well thats invading a pointless pass time >=(

I'm a blue sentinel and hearing your invading woes is music to my ears :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

But if a lot of players already have two white phantoms summoned blue sentinels will get summoned less often, won't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd rather fight a bitch who needs defending from a Sentinel than someone who can't even PvE without going 3 on 1

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Reached the catacombs and was running through it for the 1st time with the help of a phantom. Just after the rolling ball thing got invaded so we waited for him to appear. We were gaining the upper hand in the fight but he kept healing up to keep in it. All of a sudden a blue phantom appeared and I thought great this should finish him off. Que a min later the blue phantom appears with 3 giant skeletons in tow! Blue phantom gets taken out 1st followed by the white. I had managed to take out the skeletons but with no healing left finally died to the invader. Fight lasted nearly 5 mins all in all! Well earned win for the invader in the end but I was gutted I lost it!

You should switch to way of the blue if you want protection from invasions, you wont get invaded much if you're not summoning phantoms anyway though. I've been trying blue sentinels/blades of the Darkmoon the last while, never ever get summoned.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You should switch to way of the blue if you want protection from invasions, you wont get invaded much if you're not summoning phantoms anyway though. I've been trying blue sentinels/blades of the Darkmoon the last while, never ever get summoned.

The problem is people not using way of the blue I think. I set it as mine in NG+ undead settlement and had 4 invasions so far and got a blue in with me 3 of those times.

I didn't even see the hostile phantoms on 2 occasions as I just used the seeds I'd stock piled and forgot about from the 1st play through :D

• Advertisement

The problem is people not using way of the blue I think. I set it as mine in NG+ undead settlement and had 4 invasions so far and got a blue in with me 3 of those times.

I didn't even see the hostile phantoms on 2 occasions as I just used the seeds I'd stock piled and forgot about from the 1st play through :D

I've seen a fair few blades/sentinels show up when I've invaded but never been summoned as one. I don't know why they got rid of the blue eye orb from the other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

RTighe wrote: »
    Anyone getting a constant network problem in the last few mins ?

Edited. Seems Xbox live service is having issues

Very very frustrating last night. I was on the
    Watchers Boss
    and had him almost dead a few times only for the Network to drop and I had to start over again. Took 40 minutes to kill him when it should have taken 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

logik wrote: »
    Very very frustrating last night. I was on the
    Watchers Boss
    and had him almost dead a few times only for the Network to drop and I had to start over again. Took 40 minutes to kill him when it should have taken 5 minutes.

Yeah I gave up after an hour, just needed 20 mins of a clean playthrough to get where I wanted to be, the OH was surprised the tv wasn't out the window :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

God damn anyway this will take a bit of time to platinum since you get rings and miracles from leveling up covenants.

Might just head on to NG+

tok9 wrote: »
    God damn anyway this will take a bit of time to platinum since you get rings and miracles from leveling up covenants.

Might just head on to NG+

You'll have to
    complete the game 3 times to platinum anyway, some rings are only available in NG++ too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

You'll have to
    complete the game 3 times to platinum anyway, some rings are only available in NG++ too

Four times for me, did the non trophy ending first time...:pac:

You'll have to

Is it every single one of the rings? I thought in Dark Souls 2 you only needed the base versions

Is it every single one of the rings? I thought in Dark Souls 2 you only needed the base versions

Apparently you need the +1 & +2 versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

While I enjoy invaders that last punk cost me 25 grand in souls. My nerves are fraught.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I had some fun with the branches over the weekend until I got bored and started moving - moving statues - never a good choice...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

... and I'm done!

Not a whole lot to say that hasn't been said already. Definitely contains some of the finest encounters and levels of the series - and some of the most challenging boss encounters for sure (anyone who managed
    Nameless King
    solo is a better Souls player than I am!). Definitely feels like some of the late game bosses hit harder, faster and more relentlessly then any previous examples - certainly a Bloodborne pistol wouldn't go astray in some of them

Don't think I'll progress to New Game+, as realistically I never end up playing it - will leave my end game save file intact for whatever DLC is to come.

If I had an overall gripe, it's one that's perhaps somewhat inevitable three (or four or five depending on your own preference!) games into the series. Bloodborne was IMO pretty revelatory as a Souls veteran - familiar in some respects, but boasting a world that felt much fresh and unexpected. It introduced a whole raft of changes in terms of pace, combat and mechanics. Dark Souls 3, in contrast, is a refinement. A wonderful refinement, but much more 'familiar'. There's more grand castles, more sewers, more poison swamps. But an oppressively gothic coat of paint helped make BB's world seem different. As visually and narratively arresting as some of the areas in DS3 are - and let's make no mistake, From are some of the undisputed masters of interactive storytelling, with so many fascinating mysteries layered into everything from the level design to even the combat mechanics - it's unmistakably a Souls game, with echoes of the past if anything explicitly woven into Lothric
    (not least revisiting some familiar locations).

It therefore, unavoidably even, lacks that giddy freshness that made Bloodborne such a treat. This is still an incredibly dense, artfully crafted game in pretty much every respect - some areas among the most satisfying and rewarding to explore in any From game. But it'd be amazing if the next game of this ilk from From starts from a clean - or at least cleaner - slate, dragging us out of our comfort zone once again. They could make Dark Souls sequels every few years and I'd totally on board, but I'm anxious to see them apply their unequaled skills in new ways. Dark Souls 3 is amazing, but definitely keen to see what else they've got.

Anyway, I'll wrap up a few bits and pieces - might try for all the sorceries and pyromancies - but then time to move on: after all, Dark Souls 3 was just a warm-up for the true challenge - Stephen's Sausage Roll

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Reminds me of a great experience in DS2.

Getting beaten ten times in a row in a duel on the dragon mountain. But the 11th in time I used a fragrant branch of yore and led the decker to where the giant knights are.

Fantastic.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    In less opinionated DS news, seeing as my Grundberd +5 is my go-to, turned my +9 GLance into a Blessed Weapon... Dayum, holding that + having the regen ring equipped heals surprisingly well even with merely 15 faith (I believe they both scale with it?). Throw on an actual Replenish Miracle for a triple stack and you'll be healing to full health in no time. Always liked having Replenish to save Estus and heal up during downtime, now I might not have to manually cast it ever again :P

Blessed weapons heal you?

The Dual Katanas are savage for PvP, really liking them after switching from the Uchi.

Need to lern2parry

*edit* What kind of slime goes for a backstab during my bow? In a summoned duel like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Is there anyway to get the blacksmith to forge for you again if you've tried to kill him?

Also is the general consensus that this is the best dark souls yet and better than blood borne?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

getting really annoyed with the short run ins to the boss fights. i know they're trivial but it just adds a layer of annoyance. i just want to get in and fight the boss already. the run in to aldrich is particularly annoying, usually take a little bit of damage, using up a precious flask as soon as i cross the fog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

froog wrote: »
    getting really annoyed with the short run ins to the boss fights. i know they're trivial but it just adds a layer of annoyance. i just want to get in and fight the boss already. the run in to aldrich is particularly annoying, usually take a little bit of damage, using up a precious flask as soon as i cross the fog.

Hidden body + spook are your friends! Think this is the first Souls game I've played where I've actually been able to play significant chunks of the game in stealth mode :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

froog wrote:

Its been a feature of all Souls games though.
    I had that run down to a tee during my mammoth 50 tries at Aldrich. Most people I summoned tried to fight the mobs much to my annoyance.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    a) I'd like to play BBourne but will have to wait for PC release (if it ever happens).
    b) I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there is a shrine you can use to reset aggro'd NPC's, think it's somewhere in UDSettlement but could be wrong. The one where you can 'forgive your sins' etc.

There won't be a PC release, not a hope Sony are letting one of, if not the top PS4 exclusives go

Indeed in Undead Settlement, Shrine of Velma, buy the key in Firelink and go to where you fight the giant rat, loom around down there and you'll find it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

sweetie wrote: »
    Its been a feature of all Souls games though.
    I had that run down to a tee during my mammoth 50 tries at Aldrich. Most people I summoned tried to fight the mobs much to my annoyance.

couldn't pass his first stage solo after a lot of tries (20?), summoned in the end and beat it first go. that boss is a mother****er.

Advertisement