Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Yeah he does seem to be one of the bosses that has the least amount of summon signs, which is crazy considering he's probably one of, if not, the most difficult boss in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

So I'm finally finished after 61 hours, spread across 8 weeks.

It was my first Souls game and a fundamental moment in my 'on again, off again' relationship with video games.

I hate difficult games, and being fairly crap at gaming in general means I find a lot of games difficult. Think of a classic game of any generation and the chances are I'll have bought it, played it and then given up on it because it was too frustrating.

Dark Souls 3 looks to have changed that. The only other games that I've put any serious time into over the past two months have been The Binding of Isaac and Rogue Legacy, both of which I find excruciatingly difficult. But I'm still playing them. I repeat, I have not given up yet! In fact, the difficulty is one of the reasons I keep coming back. I die and I die and I die, but I come back for more every time. To quote Hot Chip, "the joy of repetition really is in me."

That strange turn of events is down to DS3 and my re-education as a gamer. It lit a [bon]fire in me and from now on only the most rewarding games will do. They don't have to be difficult for difficulty's sake, but there has to be a healthy challenge/pay-off dynamic that will keep me coming back.

However, as happy as I am to have 'beaten' a Souls game, I'm still left with plenty of regrets.

First, summoning. I felt guilty the first time I did it, but after that I didn't mind because I only summoned when I was ready to pull my teeth out, so it was hugely rewarding to beat the boss, irrespective of how it was accomplished. However, I blasted through the final few bosses without putting in an honest solo effort first. I guess the end was in sight and I just wanted it too much to slow down and have my arse handed to me. So for my next Souls game I'll try to be more disciplined. I mean, here I am harping on about difficulty, so next time I'll have to make sure my big mouth earns its right to boast.

Second, I didn't engage with enough of the RPG elements. I went for a pure strength build. No bells and whistles whatsoever. Plus, I found my sword of choice pretty early on, the Irithyll Straight Sword. I ramped it up to +5 and that did me for the rest of the game, and because it was a Frost weapon I never got to use any of the lightning effects, etc. I also kept it fairly basic with armour. I finished with the Silver Knight gear. Nothing fancy. So I was in the strange position of running around collecting all sorts of fancy items and armour, but using very little of it. But I guess picking up loot is its own reward so I suppose it was time well spent.

Third, I never really followed up on any of the 'quests'. Siegward's was the only one I seen through to completion and that was almost by accident. I just didn't care about any of the characters and I felt that the only reason to chase up on them was to collect new items that I didn't actually want. So I had the bare minimum of interaction with them. I regret it because I missed out on the more interesting looking ending, but I can't trick myself into caring.

Ditto the 'story'. I accept that there's no plot in the tradition sense. It all seem to be very impressionistic and it likes to luxuriate in its own mood and themes. It sounds like my kinda thing, except for some reason it just didn't grab me the way I wanted it to. Apparently this game is tied very closely to the original Dark Souls, so perhaps that's why I felt at such a remove from what was going on. I played the first section of Bloodborne a while back and that really registered with me a lot more.

The most interesting thing about the 'lore' was the various odd things here and there. Seeing those feathers in the dome up over the Grand Archives and thinking wtf? Or those zombie type dudes worshipping the dead dragon on the High Wall of Lothric. Or the Pilgrims outside the Undead Settlement. Those and many other moments and images will stay with me longer than any story or quest. All of that stuff delivered on exactly the level I heard a From Software game would. It absolutely lived up to the hype. Each time I came across an Outrider Knight I just wanted to sit in a corner and watch it, knowing its big frozen head would be meditating on ancient ideas and symbols that I'll never get to see. That's a very profound feeling to get from a videogame.

Anyway, that's about it...

But one last thing, what should I play next? Bloodborne or Scholars of the First Sin?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Blood borne!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Play Bloodborne. I'm currently playing through Sotfs and it feels so clunky compared to Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pickpocket wrote: »
    So I'm finally finished after 61 hours, spread across 8 weeks.

It was my first Souls game and a fundamental moment in my 'on again, off again' relationship with video games.

I hate difficult games, and being fairly crap at gaming in general means I find a lot of games difficult. Think of a classic game of any generation and the chances are I'll have bought it, played it and then given up on it because it was too frustrating.

Dark Souls 3 looks to have changed that. The only other games that I've put any serious time into over the past two months have been The Binding of Isaac and Rogue Legacy, both of which I find excruciatingly difficult. But I'm still playing them. I repeat, I have not given up yet! In fact, the difficulty is one of the reasons I keep coming back. I die and I die and I die, but I come back for more every time. To quote Hot Chip, "the joy of repetition really is in me."

That strange turn of events is down to DS3 and my re-education as a gamer. It lit a [bon]fire in me and from now on only the most rewarding games will do. They don't have to be difficult for difficulty's sake, but there has to be a healthy challenge/pay-off dynamic that will keep me coming back.

However, as happy as I am to have 'beaten' a Souls game, I'm still left with plenty of regrets.

First, summoning. I felt guilty the first time I did it, but after that I didn't mind because I only summoned when I was ready to pull my teeth out, so it was hugely rewarding to beat the boss, irrespective of how it was accomplished. However, I blasted through the final few bosses without putting in an honest solo effort first. I guess the end was in sight and I just wanted it too much to slow down and have my arse handed to me. So for my next Souls game I'll try to be more disciplined. I mean, here I am harping on about difficulty, so next time I'll have to make sure my big mouth earns its right to boast.

Second, I didn't engage with enough of the RPG elements. I went for a pure strength build. No bells and whistles whatsoever. Plus, I found my sword of choice pretty early on, the Irithyll Straight Sword. I ramped it up to +5 and that did me for the rest of the game, and because it was a Frost weapon I never got to use any of the lightning effects, etc. I also kept it fairly basic with armour. I finished with the Silver Knight gear. Nothing fancy. So I was in the strange position of running around collecting all sorts of fancy items and armour, but using very little of it. But I guess picking up loot is its own reward so I suppose it was time well spent.

Third, I never really followed up on any of the 'quests'. Siegward's was the only one I seen through to completion and that was almost by accident. I just didn't care about any of the characters and I felt that the only reason to chase up on them was to collect new items that I didn't actually want. So I had the bare minimum of interaction with them. I regret it because I missed out on the more interesting looking ending, but I can't trick myself into caring.

Ditto the 'story'. I accept that there's no plot in the tradition sense. It all seem to be very impressionistic and it likes to luxuriate in its own mood and themes. It sounds like my kinda thing, except for some reason it just didn't grab me the way I wanted it to. Apparently this game is tied very closely to the original Dark Souls, so perhaps that's why I felt at such a remove from what was going on. I played the first section of Bloodborne a while back and that really registered with me a lot more.

The most interesting thing about the 'lore' was the various odd things here and there. Seeing those feathers in the dome up over the Grand Archives and thinking wtf? Or those zombie type dudes worshipping the dead dragon on the High Wall of Lothric. Or the Pilgrims outside the Undead Settlement. Those and many other moments and images will stay with me longer than any story or quest. All of that stuff delivered on exactly the level I heard a From Software game would. It absolutely lived up to the hype. Each time I came across an Outrider Knight I just wanted to sit in a corner and watch it, knowing its big frozen head would be meditating on ancient ideas and symbols that I'll never get to see. That's a very profound feeling to get from a videogame.

Anyway, that's about it...

But one last thing, what should I play next? Bloodborne or Scholars of the First Sin?

Thanks.

The DLC will be out in a few months. Always good to play through the game again to reach the DLC and breeze through it solo since you know it.

You didn't do too much wrong there. With regards to RPG elements you really have to min max in the game. You're going for a strength build then you pump all your stats into it since there's not enough to be a jack of all trades. Same with weapons you pick the type you want stick with it and then decide on one to finish the game with since there's usually only enough upgrade material to get 2 or 3 to +10.

As for story and quests, they are obtuse, everyone misses them :) it's what youtube and replays are for :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Love this piece of fan art that someone posted to the DS3 subreddit.

It relates to a certain plot point that can result in a different ending so spoiler warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I just can't get by Aldrich, it's not enjoyable at this stage. Mainly a strength build. I get so far in the fight and then get nearly instantly killed, extremely annoying!

petes wrote: »
    I just can't get by Aldrich, it's not enjoyable at this stage. Mainly a strength build. I get so far in the fight and then get nearly instantly killed, extremely annoying!

Just summon help and be done with him.

Just summon help and be done with him.

Not online.

Not online.

Ahh...

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The DLC will be out in a few months. Always good to play through the game again to reach the DLC and breeze through it solo since you know it.

You didn't do too much wrong there. With regards to RPG elements you really have to min max in the game. You're going for a strength build then you pump all your stats into it since there's not enough to be a jack of all trades. Same with weapons you pick the type you want stick with it and then decide on one to finish the game with since there's usually only enough upgrade material to get 2 or 3 to +10.

As for story and quests, they are obtuse, everyone misses them :) it's what youtube and replays are for :)

That makes me feel a lot better. I just had the feeling that everyone else was 'getting' the story more than I was. I'm glad it's not just me.

Ahh...

I'll just take a break from it and then go back at it :)

I'll just take a break from it and then go back at it :)

Best of luck and keep us updated!

... and he's dead and so is the dancer! Onwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I'm taking a break two ahead of you Petes.

... and he's dead and so is the dancer! Onwards!!

Brilliant! I had to summon for both of them, so next time give us some advice rather than asking for it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Having a agocking time in Lothric castle. Can't get past the Boreal Knight there and it's a chore getting up to him. Really regretting this strength build.

Annoyingly I've have no trouble with previous Boreal Knights. I think I'm just losing patience and need a break. Getting so close now.

Retro there are a few short cuts around the place - did you find any of them?

Having a agocking time in Lothric castle. Can't get past the Boreal Knight there and it's a chore getting up to him. Really regretting this strength build.

Annoyingly I've have no trouble with previous Boreal Knights. I think I'm just losing patience and need a break. Getting so close now.

Is that the one near the
    Dragons

From what I recall he didn't really give much of a chase before he heads back but thought he was faster and slightly more aggressive than the others, so I stuck near the stairs so I could escape when I needed to and get some breathing room.

If it is the one I'm thinking of he's not on your path to move forward and is optional. You can also cheese him by
    letting him fall into the pit just before his area and letting mutated mobs get him

It was the one in the library. Eventually got him, cheesed him with spells then went it to kill him when he had half health. :)

• Advertisement

At the boss in Lothric castle, had one go, got killed quickly and didn't go back yet ha, then went down to the consumed garden I think and there is a boss in there too but didn't get there (well I did, was standing at the foggy gates but went back and got killed instead).

Leave it now until tomorrow, was just glad I got by Aldrich earlier. I really enjoy the exploring part of the game but when I get stuck at boss it's a pain.

Still, Dark Souls 2 on the way during the week :)

It was the one in the library. Eventually got him, cheesed him with spells then went it to kill him when he had half health. :)

Uggghhhh that one was even worse, should have copped when you said he was a slog to get to. I was totally caught on the hop when I met him first.

Well I'm done now. Great game but a bit disappointing. Just seemed way too linear to me and missed the spark of DS1 and Bloodbourne. I'm still waiting for from to create a world as good as dark souls 1.

At the boss in Lothric castle, had one go, got killed quickly and didn't go back yet ha, then went down to the consumed garden I think and there is a boss in there too but didn't get there (well I did, was standing at the foggy gates but went back and got killed instead).

Leave it now until tomorrow, was just glad I got by Aldrich earlier. I really enjoy the exploring part of the game but when I get stuck at boss it's a pain.

Still, Dark Souls 2 on the way during the week :)
    Ah that boss is not too bad if you get lucky.
    I guess counting him I'm three then, not two. The other one took me ages with no one to summon and the one I'm at now the summon doesn't last too long, gets destroyed fairly fast

Taltos wrote: »
    Ah that boss is not too bad if you get lucky.
    I guess counting him I'm three then, not two. The other one took me ages with no one to summon and the one I'm at now the summon doesn't last too long, gets destroyed fairly fast

I'll give it a proper go tomorrow. For me, I need to take a break for a while or I end up rage quitting. I also have no patience and it seems to be the key to beating the bosses.

Still want to finish it though but at times especially when stuck for ages I nearly give up, I'll persevere though, clocked up enough hours not too :)

Yee on xbox? If you're badly stuck I can help.

Ps4.
    Taking a break as last boss
    armour
    took me ten hours and I wasn't even grinding. Gave up trying to melee and back to magic, only took three attempts then as I'd memorised his moves.

Figuring the break at the next boss will help refind the love.

This plays surprisingly well on the Vita. The missus was watching the Kardashian's earlier while I was sprawled out on the couch invading some poor innocents. Nice.

Taltos wrote: »
    Ps4.
    Taking a break as last boss
    armour
    took me ten hours and I wasn't even grinding. Gave up trying to melee and back to magic, only took three attempts then as I'd memorised his moves.

Figuring the break at the next boss will help refind the love.

Fair play for that level of discipline. If I can't get a boss in 10 attempts I summon, unless I'm coming very close each time, in which case I might push it to 15-20 attempts. Spending 10 hours on a single boss is madness. How many hours have you clocked up so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

To the Mound Maker who invaded me during my stand off with the two silver knights on the bridge at Anor Londo and proceeded to wait it out and watch, and not notice me using my Seed of a Giant Tree and got his arse handed to them: thanks for the help! /s

Advertisement