Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Over 110 so far.
    Online tends to drop intermittently so summoning is too hit and miss to trust. Have put a huge amount into farming earlier, so have some decent stats. Weird thing is when I'm invaded the network never seems to drop...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Taltos wrote: »
    Over 110 so far.
    Online tends to drop intermittently so summoning is too hit and miss to trust. Have put a huge amount into farming earlier, so have some decent stats. Weird thing is when I'm invaded the network never seems to drop...

Typical that! I've about 65 hours in, think it's the most time I've ever put in to a game although if there was a way to tell back when I had a Snes....

Ill probably go the route of the consumed garden today, know it's optional but as I said before it's the exploring aspects I like most. Saying that's I have Witcher 3 and only put a few hours in so far!

Did spend a good few hours farming etc.

Have to say though I'm glad I got it! Probably be on the other thread for DS2 (presume there is one) next weekend, ha!

Oh there is. Great thread that, helped me with some bosses when was stuck there too.
    Best of luck in the garden, I just about survived it my first time, like you I prefer the exploration part of the game, the bosses just slow that down for me.

Productive day, three bosses down(two in the garden) and armor. It really is about patience and dodging and not going in all guns blazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I've started my character for the last achievement - Master of Rings. My advice for anyone who wants to invade to farm for Farron Wolfblood Swordgrass, keep your character a low level and as well as your weapon level.

I initially made the mistake of leveling up a weapon to +9 at SL20 without knowing that weapon level ties into matchmaking for covenants and you're stuck in that tier permanently if you do. I had to recreate a character and I've kept them at Level 6 with using the Deep battle axe and getting summoned regularly for the Watchdogs of Farron.

As such there is very few people running around Farron Keep/Cruxification Woods with a +9 weapon, so keeping your level low and weapon level to either base or +1 or +2 should get you regular summons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

So I listened to people's advice and started Bloodborne instead of SotFS as my second game in this (kinda) series.

I completed the first area some months back so I knew what to expect. I'm in the fifth area now and the level design is simply breathtaking.

The speed takes some getting used to, not to mention the health regain system. It seems so unnatural jumping in for a close attack when I'm at death's door, but I'll get used to it. For all the talk about the different mood and setting, it's that one simple addition to the gameplay that fundamentally changes things.

Also, I find it genuinely scary. In DS3 I was on edge because I didn't want to get killed and be knocked back to the last bonfire, but Bloodborne has me creeped out in a very pure, survival horror-type way.

Anyway, it looks to be another remarkable game from From Software..... but I'm gonna have to push it aside for now. I suspect I'll ultimately enjoy and appreciate it more than DS3, but right now I feel I have unfurnished business with my sword and board. So I'll take on SotFS and get it out of my system then return to BB. Or maybe then I'll jump back to DS1, or even Demon's Souls...

This feels like the beginning of an addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Vaati droping some lore bombs. Nice touch how the ghosts in Icetown resemble the Dancer and Vordt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I love some Vaati at bedtime, i'll watch this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Think I've just finished the game, got a credits screen anyway. My first Souls game, really enjoyed it and I'll most likely go on to NG+, maybe play around with invasions first. The final couple of bosses actually felt easier than some before. Did a lot of exploration but I'm sure I've missed a couple of optional areas.

Also I'm still using the weapon I started with, Sellsword Twinblades as Mercenary, just got them to +10 right before the end. Could never find anything that felt better :p

Think I've just finished the game, got a credits screen anyway. My first Souls game, really enjoyed it and I'll most likely go on to NG+, maybe play around with invasions first. The final couple of bosses actually felt easier than some before. Did a lot of exploration but I'm sure I've missed a couple of optional areas.

Also I'm still using the weapon I started with, Sellsword Twinblades as Mercenary, just got them to +10 right before the end. Could never find anything that felt better :p

You sound like you got the most basic ending. I was the same, although apparently I had some sort of item that allowed for the 'true ending' if I had known to give it to the Firekeeper.

But it didn't bother me. I was just glad to finish as it was also my first Souls game. So well done! It's a great feeling.

It's strange finishing a game but still being able to continue playing it. I guess I was glad because obviously I want to mess around with the online stuff, but it lacked that sense of 'closure' that I'm used to when I clear a game. As a consequence I still feel like the game isn't beaten. It feels very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Looked it up and it seems I got the "best" ending, Usurpation of Fire or something. Glad I chose to follow the questlines I did now :pac:

Looked it up and it seems I got the "best" ending, Usurpation of Fire or something. Glad I chose to follow the questlines I did now :pac:

Ah, nice one!

I didn't do enough with the quests so hadn't a hope of achieving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Don't forget the Dark Souls 1 restart is happening since yesterday, good time to try it out if haven't before

Just a fee hours today so now stuck at the princes and king, I say stuck I only had a couple of goes at them, hopefully get by them tomorrow. Started DS2, it's a fair bit different I think but only put a couple of hours in so far. Will get stuck in tomorrow.

Mad thing is with these games is that I've about 20 other games to be getting on with but kwep plugging a way at souls even though it's frustrating at times.

Think I need a week off work, ha!

That's exactly where I'm stuck. Doing ok but just not making it past those two yet. Saying that today was my first time back in over 2 weeks, had a nice break but keen to get it done now.

So finally gave in and chanced summoning help there twice.
    Still died at same spot as without :)
    Off to farm for Dex or shards.

On the last boss now, he's a bit of a prick, feels like I should be able to kick his arse but I don't.

Petes, how did you get past the
    twins
    , I'm a sorcery build so even with weapons I am not lasting past the 2nd time I bring down the big fella. 1st part is fine, getting through that OK, I'm just not getting the hits in on the little one when I've a chance.

Taltos wrote: »
    Petes, how did you get past the
    twins
    , I'm a sorcery build so even with weapons I am not lasting past the 2nd time I bring down the big fella. 1st part is fine, getting through that OK, I'm just not getting the hits in on the little one when I've a chance.

I think they a cheating feckers tbh
    I leveled up so I could carry Havel's shield, it's on the bridge where the stray demon was up from the wolf of farron bonfire. First part is okay, circle in close and roll around, get a hit in and roll again. Second part was much the same, in close so younger prince can't really use magic and if he teleports away strafe so his magic can't get you but the shield take most of it. If you do the same as the first part and get behind you can get a hit at him. When I did eventually get him though I had killed the big lad and the other was reviving him so got a fair few hits in there but you do get hit.
    That and a fair bit of luck.

So I started NG+ for the first time last night. It took me about 45 minutes to get through what previously took me 7 hours. No, really.

A few questions:

1. At what stage will it start to get really difficult? I've noticed that the enemies and bosses now have a bit more about them, but I'm still ripping through them. It is a gradual increase in difficulty or does it suddenly get insanely difficult? I'm just about to enter the Undead Settlement.

2. I went for a strength-build first time around. I'm currently level 110. What way does NG+ work in terms of soft/hard caps, etc. Will I still have to continue to level up as much as possible to keep up with the difficulty of the enemies, or is that less important?

3. Following on from that, what way do weapon upgrades work. My weapon of choice is the Irithyll Straight Sword+5. Can I upgrade that any more? Probably a silly question, but is there such thing as a +5 weapon (but with +1 to take into account the NG, in the way that there are +1 rings)?

You can see that I'm just unsure abut the whole mechanic of NG+. I appreciate that the game will get harder, but will the level caps and my already maxed out weapons mean I get progressively weaker when compared to the enemies?

Please correct any of my stupid assumptions or misunderstandings.

4. This is more of a general question, but what way do people tend to play NG+. The first time around I explored everywhere, dying repeatedly to obtain items that I knew I would not need or simply didn't want. But I done it in order to beat the game. This time around I only want to concern myself with bosses and certain tough enemies that I enjoy battling. So I envisage that I will be doing a lot of running, collecting items here and there and opening shortcuts.

But is that 'cheating' NG+? I know I shouldn't give a toss one way or the other but I do enjoy being a member of this little Souls community and if an entire play-through of NG+ is the done thing then I'll give it a go.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

Pickpocket wrote: »
    So I started NG+ for the first time last night. It took me about 45 minutes to get through what previously took me 7 hours. No, really.

A few questions:

1. At what stage will it start to get really difficult? I've noticed that the enemies and bosses now have a bit more about them, but I'm still ripping through them. It is a gradual increase in difficulty or does it suddenly get insanely difficult? I'm just about to enter the Undead Settlement.

2. I went for a strength-build first time around. I'm currently level 110. What way does NG+ work in terms of soft/hard caps, etc. Will I still have to continue to level up as much as possible to keep up with the difficulty of the enemies, or is that less important?

3. Following on from that, what way do weapon upgrades work. My weapon of choice is the Irithyll Straight Sword+5. Can I upgrade that any more? Probably a silly question, but is there such thing as a +5 weapon (but with +1 to take into account the NG, in the way that there are +1 rings)?

You can see that I'm just unsure abut the whole mechanic of NG+. I appreciate that the game will get harder, but will the level caps and my already maxed out weapons mean I get progressively weaker when compared to the enemies?

Please correct any of my stupid assumptions or misunderstandings.

4. This is more of a general question, but what way do people tend to play NG+. The first time around I explored everywhere, dying repeatedly to obtain items that I knew I would not need or simply didn't want. But I done it in order to beat the game. This time around I only want to concern myself with bosses and certain tough enemies that I enjoy battling. So I envisage that I will be doing a lot of running, collecting items here and there and opening shortcuts.

But is that 'cheating' NG+? I know I shouldn't give a toss one way or the other but I do enjoy being a member of this little Souls community and if an entire play-through of NG+ is the done thing then I'll give it a go.

Thanks.
    1. I find it can start to get tough again after Abyss Watchers. You'll find that even if you start a fresh game the starting areas are very easy because you'll have a much better idea of how to play and what's ahead.

2. Soft caps are the same. Try focusing on a sorcery/miracles once you hit the soft caps of your current build to get weapon buff spells. There's allegedly a community gentlemens agreement that you stop at 120 if you want to PvP but I'm SL 160ish and still get invaded.

3. Upgrades stay the same +5 special and +10 regular are the highest levels.

4. In Souls games I normally do NG blind then look at a guide to find all the stuff I missed out on when doing NG+ and beyond. There's no wrong way to play (unless you always summon at the start of an area) if you want to run past everything and just do bosses, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The SL120 level is for meta duelling. Random invaders are sorta dicks and so do what they like, but if you want to do nothing but fun, competitive PvP the 120 is the cap there. For regular playing just horse on as high as you like.

I normally don't bother with NG+ unless I'm doing a special build, like one for late game weapons only or something, where it's only possible to actually start that run in NG+.

To be honest the only wrong way to play Souls is to always have a summon with you, and if that's what you need to progress and have fun then thats fair enough too.

NG+ tends to be easier than NG for the majority of it, some mobs and bosses will be way harder but the general most are easy. In Dark Souls 1, NG+ was on average about 25% harder than NG (stats and numbers wise), where NG+7 ( the highest level) was only about 40% higher than NG

Thanks for the replies.

I summoned for about 40% of the bosses first time around so that's part of my motivation for jumping back in. It's fairly optimistic of me to think that I can then go and solo them in NG+, but you never know...

Each time I summoned it was because I just wanted to continue on exploring the game, which is my favourite aspect. Boss fights, while enjoyable and at times exhilarating, often killed the momentum for me. So while I became frustrated, it was mostly impatience that forced me to summon. In the final quarter I didn't even take the time to fully experience how difficult the bosses were, I just summoned and kept marching toward the finish line. The Pontiff and Aldrich were the only two that really drove me to despair.

So having beaten the game the pressure is off. If I can't beat a boss today I'll try him again tomorrow, or next week, or whenever. I'm also playing through Bloodborne and the Mass Effect trilogy right now so this is just something to be chipping away at in the background. Hopefully I can dip in and out over the coming weeks and months and solo all of those big ugly bastards.

Finally, just a note on using a walkthrough for anyone that's unsure about referring to one, because obviously we all feel a bit guilty when we do. I played through each area blind first. Only when I completed an area and beat (or summoned for) the boss would I refer to a guide and then backtrack for anything that I missed. Most of the time I had already collected or beaten everything, but occasionally there'd be an item, a quest or a tough encounter that I missed out on.

So I'd urge new players not to be too much of a hero when it comes to using a walkthrough or referring to some sort of material, because this is a deliberately obscure game and I personally would have missed out on so many fascinating aspects of it had I went it alone. This game also refers back to DS1 which I haven't played yet, so again, a guide was invaluable in providing context to some of the locations and characters. So I echo Digital Solitude in that you should take as little help as possible but don't be a martyr. The priority at all times should be seeing all that the game has to offer, getting to the end and enjoying the journey. It is a game after all.

Warning: may make you feel slightly horny.

Big thanks to Hyy if you're here - was getting pretty sick of the 2nd to last boss there. Cheers for the help.
    Onto the last one now, was a bit too aggressive but got damn close so shortly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Just wondering what's a good alternate weapon for my build?
    I'm using the raw estoc and going for a faith build. Have just12 into STR
    Just don't want to waste my titanite, gems or twinkling

Feedback welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A lightning weapon surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

GK1001 wrote: »
    Just wondering what's a good alternate weapon for my build?
    I'm using the raw estoc and going for a faith build. Have just12 into STR
    Just don't want to waste my titanite, gems or twinkling

Feedback welcome
    Infuse something with lightning so it scales with faith.

EDIT: The estoc gets an A in faith scaling with lightning infusion so that's probably a good choice for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

So I've finally finished NG. Is NG+ like DS2 where the invasions ramp up?

• Advertisement

All done. NG+ Got as far as the first boss, not seeing major changes so time to mix it up and play with Doom for a bit...

Cheers all for your advice.

Advertisement